Johnny Russell

Ramchope

• Replies 3.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Is it me or has everybody got a good feeling about next season?

You are allowed to have blind faith and boundless optimism at this time of the year. We are level with everyone else and there is no reason to believe that we cant give it a good crack.

On the flip side it is equally plausible that we could crash and burn and our chips could be pi$$ed on by October.

Lets stick with the blind faith and boundless optimism for now :D

TBH, I'd heard that Johnny AND his agent had already been down & looked at facilities etc before going on holiday...that's why (presumably) its stated he's already agreed terms. Lets face it, would you agree terms without looking a place over first ????

I've been told his agent went down and was very impressed. Heard nout on Johnny doing so.

For me

Russell Sammon Ward

Who would start upfront if he signs?

Martin and Russell

4-3-3

Sammon Martin Russell

Rotate rotate rotate!

4 strikers and probably only 2 starting berths. We will be able to play different systems and different combinations. It could change on a frequent basis to freshen people up. There will probably be frequent changes in the starting strike force....

TBH, I'd heard that Johnny AND his agent had already been down & looked at facilities etc before going on holiday...that's why (presumably) its stated he's already agreed terms. Lets face it, would you agree terms without looking a place over first ????

To agree terms he doesnt need to have been anywhere near the place or even to have spoken to anyone at the club. And as his agent said. it does not mean that he is certain to sign. In the absence of a fee being agreed until the last couple of days and the fact that he is under contract and has been on holiday, I would say that it is extremely unlikely that he has been anywhere near Derby just yet.

Rotate rotate rotate!

4 strikers and probably only 2 starting berths. We will be able to play different systems and different combinations. It could change on a frequent basis to freshen people up. There will probably be frequent changes in the starting strike force....

To be honest I think sammon will have more impact coming on in the last 30 but Martin will need a rest as you can tell he gets lazy towards the end

Sammon didn't have much hype before he signed, and was a cautious signing for most fans.

He has been vilified by some fans, and obviously my opinion on the matter couldn't be any further than there's and do think, for what he does and how he does it - he is the best of his kind in the division! People will disagree, but that is football... would be the first name on my team sheet most weeks, and think Russell's overall success here will stem from Sammon doing the graft and not getting the credit.

I'm just glad Clough see's it the way I do, and he will keep playing!  

To be honest I think sammon will have more impact coming on in the last 30 but Martin will need a rest as you can tell he gets lazy towards the end

On the assumption that Russell does come, I would expect that all 4 of our front line Strikers will play a big part during the season and all will have plenty of starting opportunities as well as bench time.

Sammon didn't have much hype before he signed, and was a cautious signing for most fans.

He has been vilified by some fans, and obviously my opinion on the matter couldn't be any further than there's and do think, for what he does and how he does it - he is the best of his kind in the division! People will disagree, but that is football... would be the first name on my team sheet most weeks, and think Russell's overall success here will stem from Sammon doing the graft and not getting the credit.

I'm just glad Clough see's it the way I do, and he will keep playing!

100% agree!

I think if Russell (Or another decent striker) signs it's almost a weight of Sammon's shoulders.

He came in as the striker who was going to score the goals to get us in the top 6, and in my opinion, he couldn't handle the pressure.

Next season will be a good one for Sammon.

100% agree!

I don't think it's a coincidence that all 3 strikers playing along side him had their best goals per game ratio at this level! 

Ward has publically praised him a number of times for his contribution, not to mention he was singled out by another championship manager - 3 players marking him against peterborough and he put them all on their arse!

I think if Russell (Or another decent striker) signs it's almost a weight of Sammon's shoulders.

He came in as the striker who was going to score the goals to get us in the top 6, and in my opinion, he couldn't handle the pressure.

Next season will be a good one for Sammon.

To be fair, when we signed him Clough said he wasn't the 'natural' goal scorer in our team, and focused on his contribution all round (this was before he kicked a ball) and to be fair, his had a terrific season in that respect! 

To be fair, when we signed him Clough said he wasn't the 'natural' goal scorer in our team, and focused on his contribution all round (this was before he kicked a ball) and to be fair, his had a terrific season in that respect! 

True, but when signing a striker for that amount of money, I'd be expecting a few more goals than what he got last season.

Think he will benefit from a few games rest this season, with Martin, Russell and Ward being our other strikers. I quite liked Jacobs when he played behind the striker last season, would like to see him and maybe Russell up front this season.

On the assumption that Russell does come, I would expect that all 4 of our front line Strikers will play a big part during the season and all will have plenty of starting opportunities as well as bench time.

I hope Russell does join and if he does we will be up there I reckon next season

I don't think it's a coincidence that all 3 strikers playing along side him had their best goals per game ratio at this level!

Ward has publically praised him a number of times for his contribution, not to mention he was singled out by another championship manager - 3 players marking him against peterborough and he put them all on their arse!

Exactly. Hopefully with a better finisher along side in him Russell or Ward will as Dyche said take weight off his shoulders. With 4 (if Russell signs) strikers, I'm very happy. Best selection of strikers we've had in years

Exactly. Hopefully with a better finisher along side in him Russell or Ward will as Dyche said take weight off his shoulders. With 4 (if Russell signs) strikers, I'm very happy. Best selection of strikers we've had in years

I can see us playing Ward, Russel and Sammon upfront - Russell did start out as a right winger, and Ward on the left.

it will require tonnes of energy in the middle of the park, but I think if we can get it right - it will suit our style! 

Ward will play mostly outwide this season, given that we have no other good wide players.

You might aswell forget about ward as a central attacking threat.

Jacobs hasnt stepped up to the mark like we hoped he would.

Coutts is a central player playing outwide, and went off the boil second half of last season.

And.... who else do we have.

We certainly didnt go out and get Burke, who we were crying out for even more than a CF.

Archived