Is Mr Nigel Clough tactically good enough at this level and should he go?

Davey B

• Replies 505
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yep, but you were making out that they always cost us points last season and it never worked. But it did work last season so you were wrong.

Do you enjoy watching us sitting back inviting pressure for 20 to 30 minutes nearly every home game or summat?

Or do you not go either?

Do you enjoy watching us sitting back inviting pressure for 20 to 30 minutes nearly every home game or summat?

Or do you not go either?

That's not the point. You threw a wobbly at someone who pointed out you made a statement that was wrong, but instead of admitting you were wrong you start having a go at people for not going to matches because in your opinion they can't know anything.

That's not the point. You through a wobbly at someone who pointed out you made a statement that was wrong, but instead of admitting you were wrong you start having a go at people for not going to matches because in your opinion they can't know anything.

If they don't go there opinion means **** all so tell me did you go??

If they don't go there opinion means **** all so tell me did you go??

What a rubbish outlook to have on a football forum.

For the record I went ,I didnt enjoy us sitting back but you couldn't be more wrong about your previous statement.

Just listened to NC's interview after the match, he said that Jeff Hendrick was to blame for their second goal for not putting the ball by the corner flag giving away possession.

I wonder if NC has considered that it is hard to keep possession when there is no other player within 20 yards of you because they are all camped on the edge of their own 18 yard box.

His tactics were clearly saying to Sheff Weds we don't think you are good enough to break down our defence...did he not learn anything from Tuesday night?!

Just listened to NC's interview after the match, he said that Jeff Hendrick was to blame for their second goal for not putting the ball by the corner flag giving away possession.

I wonder if NC has considered that it is hard to keep possession when there is no other player within 20 yards of you because they are all camped on the edge of their own 18 yard box.

His tactics were clearly saying to Sheff Weds we don't think you are good enough to break down our defence...did he not learn anything from Tuesday night?!

i thought the same. there was only theo up front and even he dropped very deep. - i suppose his point is - clear you lines - reorganise - defend again.

i thought the same. there was only theo up front and even he dropped very deep. - i suppose his point is - clear you lines - reorganise - defend again.

I can understand deploying this tactics for the last 5 minutes of a game but we seemed to do it for about 30 minutes and inevitably there was only one outcome.

I wonder If Jeff doesn't give the ball away do we win the game? If Jeff hoofs it do we win the game?

I don't think the radio interview was over the top at all, just the usual, he gave the ball away when he has clear instructions that if we're defending a lead or a point away from home he should hoof it in the corners.

It's not difficult to know what he expects by now. Jeff is supposed to be one of our brightest beacons, he should know better.

We closed games out superbly last year employing excalty the same tactics as yesterday. We just wanted the points.

I can understand deploying these tactics for the last 5 minutes of a game but we seemed to do it for about 30 minutes and inevitably there was only one outcome.

I think we also heard what the fans thought of the tactics too when Hendrick kicked the ball straight to the corner flag from the kick off!

I wonder If Jeff doesn't give the ball away do we win the game? If Jeff hoofs it do we win the game?

I don't think the radio interview was over the top at all, just the usual, he gave the ball away when he has clear instructions that if we're defending a lead or a point away from home he should hoof it in the corners.

It's not difficult to know what he expects by now. Jeff is supposed to be one of our brightest beacons, he should know better.

We closed games out superbly last year employing excalty the same tactics as yesterday. We just wanted the points.

Well if we want to make it hard for the opposition then surely the best way of doing that is retaining possession in their half? This is very hard to do when we only had one player in their half surrounded by 4 defenders.

Kicking the ball into the corner is a bloody rugby tactic not a football tactic, doing that would still only have invited more pressure on us.

Our players may be guilty of not always listening to the manager but maybe he is also guilty of not listening to what the fans want/expect from his team. One thing I certainly don't expect is playing 6 defenders and 3 midfielders at home.

Happy new season to all 'http://www.dcfcfans.co.uk/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/wink' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=';)' />

Going back to the original question we have to accept that Clough IS tactically good enough. In this particular case, the stats clearly back this up, his objective was/is to hold on to what we have and to that end, has been proven successful.

However, it comes at a cost. It's not pretty and alienates a large section of supporters. I'm in the Clough camp, but observing Fielding running the clock down from the 46th minute was a tad hard to swallow. Were the ball boys schooled in this?

What I will say is that Clough knows his players far better than any of us and along with our coaching staff is obviously aware of their capabilities. The fact that we deliberately slowed the game down in the hope of conserving energy would seem to have some merit as we were certainly leggy and tired at the end.

Observation, how could we possibly have fitted in another 7K yesterday? Looked a lot more that 27K to me?

Pearson

Happy new season to all 'http://www.dcfcfans.co.uk/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/wink' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=';)' />

Going back to the original question we have to accept that Clough IS tactically good enough. In this particular case, the stats clearly back this up, his objective was/is to hold on to what we have and to that end, has been proven successful.

However, it comes at a cost. It's not pretty and alienates a large section of supporters. I'm in the Clough camp, but observing Fielding running the clock down from the 46th minute was a tad hard to swallow. Were the ball boys schooled in this?

What I will say is that Clough knows his players far better than any of us and along with our coaching staff is obviously aware of their capabilities. The fact that we deliberately slowed the game down in the hope of conserving energy would seem to have some merit as we were certainly leggy and tired at the end.

Observation, how could we possibly have fitted in another 7K yesterday? Looked a lot more that 27K to me?

Pearson

There was quite a bif of segregation both sides of the Wednesday fans and the North Stand looked pretty empty.

Disappointing crowd for first game of season considering they brought over 6k

Archived