Do we actually need a striker?

trekkie_ram

Bris and Smiffy are right.

Good grief, thats a sentence I never thought I'd write! 'http://www.dcfcfans.co.uk/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/biggrin' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':D' />

We need a target man/hold up player. We need a younger Stevie Howard/Sheffi Kuqi type to bully the defence and give an outlet to our young lads buzzing about.

It'd turn our young team into contenders imo.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Bris and Smiffy are right.

Good grief, thats a sentence I never thought I'd write! 'http://www.dcfcfans.co.uk/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/biggrin' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':D' />

We need a target man/hold up player. We need a younger Stevie Howard/Sheffi Kuqi type to bully the defence and give an outlet to our young lads buzzing about.

It'd turn our young team into contenders imo.

But Bris also said we need a goal scorer - is that 2 strikers we need now. Where's my razor blades that ain't ever going to happen

No such thing as a proven striker especially when it comes to moving clubs, can make or break a lot of players.

Best thing we can do, is look for players with ability who for some reason aren't scoring at the minute, in another team and hopefully unlock their potential.

I think looking at stats is one form of scouting I hope we would stay away from, personally.

No such thing as a proven striker especially when it comes to moving clubs, can make or break a lot of players.

Best thing we can do, is look for players with ability who for some reason aren't scoring at the minute, in another team and hopefully unlock their potential.

I think looking at stats is one form of scouting I hope we would stay away from, personally.

Do you think that a decent, above average player would score 20 to 25 goals for Barcelona ?

Do you think that a decent, above average player would score 20 to 25 goals for Barcelona ?

'http://www.dcfcfans.co.uk/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/wacko' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':wacko:' />

come again? no, but what has that got to do with anything... 'http://www.dcfcfans.co.uk/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/huh' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':huh:' />

'http://www.dcfcfans.co.uk/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/wacko' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':wacko:' />

come again? no, but what has that got to do with anything... 'http://www.dcfcfans.co.uk/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/huh' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':huh:' />

In the context , that you said moving clubs could make or break a player.

Just wondered if you thought any decent "striker" would score in that team, not 70 goals but seeing as many of the goals are virtually tap ins, 20 or so would be easily obtainable.

Messi would not score 70 goals at Hartlepool.

In the context , that you said moving clubs could make or break a player.

Just wondered if you thought any decent "striker" would score in that team, not 70 goals but seeing as many of the goals are virtually tap ins, 20 or so would be easily obtainable.

Messi would not score 70 goals at Hartlepool.

I would beg to differ, I think Messi would score more than 70 for Hartlepool, not if he was playing in a top division with that team, but in league one/two (whereever they are) he would run a mock!!

I meant in the case of this divison where teams in the past have gone out and brought a proven striker for big money, some times it can pay off, for instance Vaz Te at West Ham, did well at Barnsley and then excelled at West Ham.

The is numerous examples where it hasn't worked, if you look at the strikers we've let go in the past few years.

Steve Howard - very proven at championship level, moved to Leicester for big money, big wages and couldn't stop them getting relegated!!

Rob Hulse - again another proven striker we let go, moved to QPR and hasn't had a sniff at a goal in a year!

--- then on to more recent movements where its gone wrong, Nottingham Forest last season made a move for a proven player upfront in ishmael miller again on big money, big wages... he scored 4 goals. Also Forest signed proven goalscorer David McGoldrick from Southampton again on a 1million+ move which has seen him score 8 times in 60+ games for the club.

Last season Boro made a well over a million pound bid for Lukas Jutkiewicz and he managed 2 goals after his move.

and so on and so forth.

I would beg to differ, I think Messi would score more than 70 for Hartlepool, not if he was playing in a top division with that team, but in league one/two (whereever they are) he would run a mock!!

I meant in the case of this divison where teams in the past have gone out and brought a proven striker for big money, some times it can pay off, for instance Vaz Te at West Ham, did well at Barnsley and then excelled at West Ham.

The is numerous examples where it hasn't worked, if you look at the strikers we've let go in the past few years.

Steve Howard - very proven at championship level, moved to Leicester for big money, big wages and couldn't stop them getting relegated!!

Rob Hulse - again another proven striker we let go, moved to QPR and hasn't had a sniff at a goal in a year!

--- then on to more recent movements where its gone wrong, Nottingham Forest last season made a move for a proven player upfront in ishmael miller again on big money, big wages... he scored 4 goals. Also Forest signed proven goalscorer David McGoldrick from Southampton again on a 1million+ move which has seen him score 8 times in 60+ games for the club.

Last season Boro made a well over a million pound bid for Lukas Jutkiewicz and he managed 2 goals after his move.

and so on and so forth.

Steve Howard one in every 3.7 for derby, one in 5 for Leicester but quite a few subs, scored 13 to help them get back up, so about same as derby.

Ishmael miller one in 7 for WBA whilst on a perm, managing same at forest.

Mcgoldrick scored 12 in 64 at the saints, and 8 in 63 at red dogs.

Rob hulse has started 3 games last season, and Lukas Jutkiewicz has a record of about 1 in 4, given he only played 21 games last season scored 3.

I would say that looking at every one of the strikers None were really prolific in the first instance ?

Yeh don't think theres any doubt that we need a CB. Ideally you need 2 players in each position so that means 8 midfielders I'd say those are Coutts, Bryson, Hendrick, Ward, Jacobs, Davies, Hughes & Tyson (If Bailey is sold) so theres your 8 as I'm guessing Hughes and Coutts are versatile, they're centre mid cover that can play on the wing.

If Bailey does stay I think we'd have to think about selling Tyson.

conor doyle is one of the hardest trainers who had one bad game it isnt any old player who gets picked for two international teams

That reply went all wrong for some reason half of it went in your quote....

Yeh don't think theres any doubt that we need a CB. Ideally you need 2 players in each position so that means 8 midfielders I'd say those are Coutts, Bryson, Hendrick, Ward, Jacobs, Davies, Hughes & Tyson (If Bailey is sold) so theres your 8 as I'm guessing Hughes and Coutts are versatile, they're centre mid cover that can play on the wing.

That leaves us with 4 strikers Theo, Davies, Bennett and Ball.

Obviously as Clough has a small budget he's getting players who can play as many positions as possible so he has a lot of cover.

In reality I don't think you can count Bennett he only turns 16 tomorrow and will play probably 10 games more than likely as a sub.

Conor Doyle well I really don't understand why he's still here i assume he gets paid 1 bag of KP nuts a week thats why, but I hope unless he improves massively he won't even get on the bench.

So I still think if Steve Davies goes he very much needs to be replaced.

If Bailey does stay I think we'd have to think about selling Tyson.

conor doyle is one of the hardest trainers who had one bad game it isnt any old player who gets picked for two international teams

• 1 month later...

Yep, still not sold on the Tyson as CF thing but he has made a decent start. Does anyone know if Sammon is any good in the air? As that is one are we are definitely going to struggle in.

We have the raw pace and unpredictable Theo, the tenacious Ward and hopefully a few from midfield. Oh, and let's not forget the mighty Bucko!

Just watched Cloughs interview on Sammon. He describes him as a Bryson type player with energy and enthusiasm. Is this what we need? I think losing Davies we may need a technical player, we have Tyson, Theo and Ward for the above, if he can't add something different what's the point?

Reckon we might see another striker added to the squad before Sept 1st. This lad from Livingston maybe or that Riski bloke.

Think what we will miss with Davies going is someone who can spark a game to life out of nothing. Clough obviously feels we have gained alot more with what Sammon will offer.

Reckon we might see another striker added to the squad before Sept 1st. This lad from Livingston maybe or that Riski bloke.

Think what we will miss with Davies going is someone who can spark a game to life out of nothing. Clough obviously feels we have gained alot more with what Sammon will offer.

If tyson goes then I think we will be looking for a more established striker in all honesty - these 2 lads sound like they're being bedded for the under 21 leagues, whereas if we lose Tyson who has started well - then a more established name will no doubt come through the door to play next to Sammon - perhaps DJ Campbell, can dream! 'http://www.dcfcfans.co.uk/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/ph34r' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':ph34r:' />

Archived