What's the alternative plan?

sage

You said you'd buy a cf and winger and a young left back with £650k. Which cf, winger and lb would you buy for that?

Anyone can say i'd buy two good cm's. Who are they? How much would they cost? What are their wages? Would they come?

How do you know people would buy the players you want to sell? it's their choice.

Also, if you're NC you have to wait until a player is sold before you can buy. Finally, how would Addison be better in your fluid passing 3 man midfield than Bryson?

Wait, did I have money left over from other deals? If not, OK 650k for a youth (back-up) lb, a CF and one for the wings.. Firstly my youth would be a free.. I like Cloughs idea of bringing in the type of cover he's after with the Crewe lad and Tom Naylor was a decent buy..

Addison wouldn't fit into my fluid passing team unless he is used as a stopper.. He wouldn't be in my first 11 anyhow and I'd actively look to get rid of him with time..

Onto the players.. How the feck would I know how much they cost without asking them? I'm not a business man, I don't have interactions with Cordoba to know how much they'd want for someone like Carlos Martinez... Unless I was in the game and had my own contacts around the globe how would I know such a thing? Nigel Clough can pick up the phone and personally ask if Alex Ferguson if he has any loans available and what their required wages are etc.. How am I going to have that information given that I live 8,000 miles away?

Onto Bryson and Theo (both of which I'd sell) it's difficult to get clubs to part with their money.. Everyone is looking for a bargain.. Who would realistically buy them? I don't know.. How much could we get for them? I don't know.. I personally don't rate either of them that's why I don't put up ridiculous valuations for them such as $1.6mill a piece..

I understand what you're trying to do Sage.. So many people on here criticising something Clough has done yet not offering any alternative whatsoever.. But you have to remember comparing Nigel Clough to a single poster is hardly at an even starting point.. I think people can criticse Clough (I do all the time for his tactics and style though I've not criticised him for selling Maguire nor Shacks) but I don't think you'll find many posters willing to say what they'd do differently.. (mostly because they're just a moaning fan nothing else)

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wait, did I have money left over from other deals? If not, OK 650k for a youth (back-up) lb, a CF and one for the wings.. Firstly my youth would be a free.. I like Cloughs idea of bringing in the type of cover he's after with the Crewe lad and Tom Naylor was a decent buy..

Addison wouldn't fit into my fluid passing team unless he is used as a stopper.. He wouldn't be in my first 11 anyhow and I'd actively look to get rid of him with time..

Onto the players.. How the feck would I know how much they cost without asking them? I'm not a business man, I don't have interactions with Cordoba to know how much they'd want for someone like Carlos Martinez... Unless I was in the game and had my own contacts around the globe how would I know such a thing? Nigel Clough can pick up the phone and personally ask if Alex Ferguson if he has any loans available and what their required wages are etc.. How am I going to have that information given that I live 8,000 miles away?

Onto Bryson and Theo (both of which I'd sell) it's difficult to get clubs to part with their money.. Everyone is looking for a bargain.. Who would realistically buy them? I don't know.. How much could we get for them? I don't know.. I personally don't rate either of them that's why I don't put up ridiculous valuations for them such as $1.6mill a piece..

I understand what you're trying to do Sage.. So many people on here criticising something Clough has done yet not offering any alternative whatsoever.. But you have to remember comparing Nigel Clough to a single poster is hardly at an even starting point.. I think people can criticse Clough (I do all the time for his tactics and style though I've not criticised him for selling Maguire nor Shacks) but I don't think you'll find many posters willing to say what they'd do differently.. (mostly because they're just a moaning fan nothing else)

I'm not comparing NC to anyone. I'm asking posters if they have a credible alternative to strengthening the squad. I merely asked you to substantiate your spanish/cf+winger+lb for £650k theory as you had attempted to answer the question.

I'm not comparing NC to anyone. I'm asking posters if they have a credible alternative to strengthening the squad. I merely asked you to substantiate your spanish/cf+winger+lb for £650k theory as you had attempted to answer the question.

But what exactly are you asking? How can anyone on here know how much money a club is willing to let their players go for or how much wages they're on or likely to want..

It's easy to throw names around, but how would any of us know what price the club is looking for.. You can get some quality players for a decent price (Shacks is an example of this - Derby aren't unique in giving away good players for cheap) and sometimes clubs won't part with their players despite being surplus to requirements..

I'd sign a leftback for cheap (free if possible as it's not no.1 priority) and then use the 650k to get in a striker and a winger/forward.. But what's the point of me naming names unless I know the availability of these players.. I mentioned Carlos Martinez for example but for all I know Cordoba have a $3mill price tag for him.. How would I know?

What you're asking in the original question is impossible for any of us to answer.. Nigel Clough can only know the availability or prices of players by interacting with the other clubs.. We can't do that.

But what exactly are you asking? How can anyone on here know how much money a club is willing to let their players go for or how much wages they're on or likely to want..

It's easy to throw names around, but how would any of us know what price the club is looking for.. You can get some quality players for a decent price (Shacks is an example of this - Derby aren't unique in giving away good players for cheap) and sometimes clubs won't part with their players despite being surplus to requirements..

I'd sign a leftback for cheap (free if possible as it's not no.1 priority) and then use the 650k to get in a striker and a winger/forward.. But what's the point of me naming names unless I know the availability of these players.. I mentioned Carlos Martinez for example but for all I know Cordoba have a $3mill price tag for him.. How would I know?

What you're asking in the original question is impossible for any of us to answer.. Nigel Clough can only know the availability or prices of players by interacting with the other clubs.. We can't do that.

Good filibustering.

Hoggy, Otrivin, Folk Star 85, Derby Ram 1994, Curtains and Ramexpat. You've all criticised NC for selling Shackell, so let's hear your alternatives.

You have to sell to buy and need to (at best) break even on wages and fees and Savies is refusing to sign a new contract. What do you do?

Why ? Are you going to give them a large contract and back team as well as scouts to answer you?

No matter what any one puts, you will pull it apart to try to prove a point.

For the record, I would have try to motivate the players at the club, keeping maguire, offering Davies an increased contract to try to get him to stay, sell theo and bavies, bring back cywka, play ward up front behind Davies, and try to get another forward in, as well as signing Jacobs, money permitting.

Pick away :-)

I think this thread shows they should bring out a game of dcfc monopoly 12-13 edition

Waste of time, Vegas would just tell all the other players they were useless, and only he, the master tactician was allowed to play.

You have to sell to buy and need to (at best) break even on wages and fees and Savies is refusing to sign a new contract. What do you do?

I’d resign and tell the board to bring back wee Billy and appoint George Burley and Jim Smith as joint directors of football. I’d insist that they contact Clough senior by séance every Friday night to get his tips from the afterlife. After that, with current investment in the squad, I confidently predict that we’ll still be playing second tier football in the foreseeable future.

Why ? Are you going to give them a large contract and back team as well as scouts to answer you?

No matter what any one puts, you will pull it apart to try to prove a point.

For the record, I would have try to motivate the players at the club, keeping maguire, offering Davies an increased contract to try to get him to stay, sell theo and bavies, bring back cywka, play ward up front behind Davies, and try to get another forward in, as well as signing Jacobs, money permitting.

Pick away :-)

I don't think Savies will be swayed by more money, but hey ho. Who would you try to bring in with the Theo/Bavies money?

I don't think Savies will be swayed by more money, but hey ho. Who would you try to bring in with the Theo/Bavies money?

They said that about tevez, I haven't got a clue, how about Owen on a 5k play per play deal with a 15 min advertising slot on our new big screen for his other businesses, and with the extra revenue we gained from his shirt sales bring in Hargreaves as our new midfield general.

Alternatively I would bring in kitson.

He's 32 and scored 4 goals in 33 games for Portsmouth last season. He hasn't scored over 10 goals in a season in the last 6 seasons. He is on a pretty big wage. Just being picky.

More sensible than picky, I would say

He's 32 and scored 4 goals in 33 games for Portsmouth last season. He hasn't scored over 10 goals in a season in the last 6 seasons. He is on a pretty big wage. Just being picky.

Probably right I'd make a ***** manager, I mean bringing in a c/f with that sort of record, you wouldn't see clough doing that.....erm Tyson

If you are Nigel you should do what any manager of stature and courage would do. You should say that unless the board loosens the purse strings a bit you will walk away. I dont for one moment think he will because he is in his comfort zone. He earns decent wages, works with his friends around him and lives where he was born and bred. He is confident that the board wont sack him so he just sits back and takes it.Its this apathy which is stifling our club.

I have 2 scenarios for you barnetram -

If you think Cloughie is on a cushy number, consider that maybe

The board actually believe he is the right man for the job and respect the job he is trying to do

and

Maybe Cloughie isn't paid as much as other Cship managers and the board couldn't get anyone else in for the same money?

Don't shoot me, just thinking out loud tis all.

It may not be as black & white as we would like to think?

The question isn't unanswerable though is it.Every season 3 teams find the answer,most of them in a similar

situation to us.As an old Rams fan when ever we start discussing this problem I always fall back on the same

old way of trying to find the answer.What would Brian Clough have done?He would have washed his dirty

linen in public.He wouldn't have taken this crap for a minute.Clough jun. is not a chip off the old block i'm

afraid.Genetics has been badly misunderstood.

Archived