Team GB

Day

With just 25 days until the start of the London 2012 Olympic Games, the British Olympic Association (BOA) has announced the 18 players selected to represent Team GB in the men’s football competition this summer.

The announcement was made today at Wembley Stadium in London, which will host the gold medal match on the 11 August.

London 2012 marks the first time that Team GB will compete in the men’s football competition since the 1960 Olympic Games in Rome, where they finished third in their group. Team GB will kick off their campaign when they face Senegal at Old Trafford in Manchester on 26 July.

The match takes place on the first day of competitive action in the men’s football tournament, and a day before the Opening Ceremony. Team GB will also take on the United Arab Emirates at Wembley on 29 July, before completing their group stage fixtures against Uruguay - who qualified for London 2012 ahead of reigning gold medallists Argentina - at the Millennium Stadium in Cardiff on the 1st August.

In line with Olympic regulations, the squad contains just three players over 23 years of age, with Welshmen Ryan Giggs and Craig Bellamy joined by English defender Micah Richards. Between them the three bring a vast amount of international experience to the team; Giggs has represented Wales 64 times and Bellamy 69, with Richards making 13 appearances for England to date.

Wales captain and Arsenal midfielder Aaron Ramsey is included in the squad and he is joined by Manchester United midfielder Tom Cleverley. In terms of attacking options, Chelsea striker Daniel Sturridge and Swansea City forward Scott Sinclair are included in the squad, and both performed well for their clubs last season, scoring 13 and 8 goals respectively in the Premier League.

West Ham defender James Tomkins is included in the squad after an impressive season last term, which saw him named in the Championship PFA Team of the Year as West Ham achieved promotion to the Premier League. He is joined by Chelsea left-back and Champions League winner Ryan Bertrand.

Of the 18 man squad, 15 are currently playing their football in the Premier League, with Middlesbrough’s Jason Steele, Bolton’s Marvin Sordell, and Birmingham’s Jack Butland playing in the Championship.

Manager Stuart Pearce, who made 78 international appearances for England, leads the squad and will take control of his first match with Team GB when they meet Brazil in a warm-up fixture at Middlesbrough’s Riverside Stadium on the 20 July.

"It has not been an easy task to finalise my squad for this tournament, and the stature of the competition and uniqueness of the occasion has underlined the importance of every choice I have made.

"With just 18 places it is very different from other international tournaments, the options are limited, but it is the Olympic Games and every player in this squad should be very proud they have a chance to compete for a gold medal on home soil.

"I remember the huge advantage we gained from playing in front of our own fans during Euro '96, and I'm sure with the nation behind us it could be a fantastic tournament for us."

The addition of the men’s footballers brings the total number of athletes officially selected to compete for Team GB at London 2012 to 417 across 32 sport disciplines. Team GB Chef de Mission Andy Hunt said: “After a 52 year absence from the Olympic Games, it is fantastic to welcome the men’s football squad to Team GB for London 2012. Representing your country at the Olympic Games is a very unique, special experience and I am sure this talented and determined group of men’s footballers will play a full part as members of Team GB at our home Olympic Games.

“The squad selected possesses a good blend of youth and experience, with 15 of the 18 selected athletes playing their football at the very highest level in the Premier League this season. In Stuart Pearce they have an experienced and passionate manager and I am sure the younger players will learn a lot from their time with Team GB at the Olympic Games.

“Football fans from the across the UK are regarded worldwide as among the most passionate and knowledgeable supporters in the world and this summer offers a unique opportunity to get behind Team GB on home soil. I am confident that this famous vocal support will drive the young players on to produce many memorable and inspirational performances at the Olympic Games this summer.

The players selected for Team GB are:

Goalkeepers

Jack Butland (Birmingham City)

Jason Steele (Middlesbrough)

Defenders

Ryan Bertrand (Chelsea)

Steven Caulker (Tottenham Hotspur)

Craig Dawson (West Bromwich Albion)

Micah Richards (Manchester City)

Danny Rose (Tottenham Hotspur)

Neil Taylor (Swansea City)

James Tomkins (West Ham United)

Midfielders

Joe Allen (Swansea City)

Tom Cleverley (Manchester United)

Jack Cork (Southampton)

Ryan Giggs (Manchester United)

Aaron Ramsey (Arsenal)

Scott Sinclair (Swansea City)

Forwards

Craig Bellamy (Liverpool)

Marvin Sordell (Bolton Wanderers)

Daniel Sturridge (Chelsea)

http://www.thefa.com/News/team-gb/team-gb-mens-squad-announcement.aspx

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think it would take me 5 minutes to come up with a better side than that, can't help but think that if the squad was done by a person who isn't bordering on being legitimately retarded then we'd of done alright, especially in front of our own fans.

As it is Pearce as 'pashun' and has managed to manipulate that aspect to getting a decent job within the FA.

Jeeeez Stuart what are you doing??? Is Craig Dawson a right back if not who we going to play there Micah or Caulker??? Seems a waste both are bettrer in the centre??? Who is our right sided midfielder??? Are we playing three up top if so who is the main goal getter??? Joke squad, was interested in this not so much anymore!!!

I think it would take me 5 minutes to come up with a better side than that, can't help but think that if the squad was done by a person who isn't bordering on being legitimately retarded then we'd of done alright, especially in front of our own fans.

As it is Pearce as 'pashun' and has managed to manipulate that aspect to getting a decent job within the FA.

Your 5 minutes starts now......

GB Squad - Micah Richards + David Beckham = Happier & more interested Trekkie_Ram

Still want us to do well, and will watch it if I get chance, but the revealing of the squad has changed my opinion slightly, I thought winning this would be almost as good as winning a Euro's, but it'll be more on a par with winning an U21 Euro's.

Leaving Beckham out is just criminal.

This is the man who was out there working on the bid in the first place, who is a living legend, helped our 2018 world cup bid.

And to put Jack ******* Cork in the team and leave him out? Physco's had one to many knocks to the head for me.

Your 5 minutes starts now......

Goalkeepers

Jason Steele - Goalkeeper

Jack Butland - Goalkeeper

Defenders

Steven Caulker - Centre Back

Ryan Bertand - Left Back

Nathaniel Clyne - Right Back - stable right back with experience.

Rio Ferdinand - Centre Back - I think it is important that we have a leader at the back, played 30 prem games for united.

Martin Kelly - CB/RB - didn't play in euros but surely would be allowed for this?

Phil Jones - CB/RB/LB/CM - same as above

Midfielders

Tom Cleverly - Centre Midfielder

Aaron Ramsey - Centre Midfielder

Scott Sinclair - Right Midfielder

Adam Johnson - left midfielder - insanely talented player, just over the age limit but has the right quality

Ross Barkley - Centre midfielder - is he injured, incredible player still young

Gareth Bale - Left midfielder - got to be a reason he aint there, don't know why thought

Aaron Lennon - Right midfielder - had a good season, missed out on euros perfect competition for him.

Strikers

Daniel Sturridge - Striker

Jordon Rhodes - Striker - most prolific british striker, could be a bit of a gamble but still - certainly a better bet than Sordell.

Andy Carroll - striker - didn't play too much in euros, could be good for him!

Tell me if I've included someone injured, but I think this team would be a lot better, but as I guess, think some of these just aren't eligable.

Was hoping for this kind of squad though, obviously without injuries smalling, rodwell and walker and more, could of been better!

Goalkeepers

Jason Steele - Goalkeeper

Jack Butland - Goalkeeper

Defenders

Steven Caulker - Centre Back

Ryan Bertand - Left Back

Nathaniel Clyne - Right Back - stable right back with experience.

Rio Ferdinand - Centre Back - I think it is important that we have a leader at the back, played 30 prem games for united.

Martin Kelly - CB/RB - didn't play in euros but surely would be allowed for this?

Phil Jones - CB/RB/LB/CM - same as above

Midfielders

Tom Cleverly - Centre Midfielder

Aaron Ramsey - Centre Midfielder

Scott Sinclair - Right Midfielder

Adam Johnson - left midfielder - insanely talented player, just over the age limit but has the right quality

Ross Barkley - Centre midfielder - is he injured, incredible player still young

Gareth Bale - Left midfielder - got to be a reason he aint there, don't know why thought

Aaron Lennon - Right midfielder - had a good season, missed out on euros perfect competition for him.

Strikers

Daniel Sturridge - Striker

Jordon Rhodes - Striker - most prolific british striker, could be a bit of a gamble but still - certainly a better bet than Sordell.

Andy Carroll - striker - didn't play too much in euros, could be good for him!

Tell me if I've included someone injured, but I think this team would be a lot better, but as I guess, think some of these just aren't eligable.

Was hoping for this kind of squad though, obviously without injuries smalling, rodwell and walker and more, could of been better!

I'd say A Johnson was a right winger and sinclair left.

Apart from Butland?

JACK BUTLAND (Birmingham) Born March 10, 1993

The only player in England's European Championship squad to be given special dispensation for the Olympics. Has starred as England Under-21s' number one for the past year.

[url=http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/olympics/no-scottish-or-northern-ireland-players-as-team-gb-football-squad-is-announced-for-the-olympics-7904093.html]http://www.independe...cs-7904093.html

Reading that when Ruddy broke his finger Butland didn't want to get called up to the Euro squad if it would affect his chances of playing in the Olympics so the FA and Birmingham came to an agreement to let him play in both.

The Olympic football starts 25th July through to 11th August, Man Utd's pre season starts 18th July, Liverpool's 21st July and the Prem season kicks off 18th August. No way they would be happy with Kelly, Jones and Carroll to go all summer without a proper break.

Ok here is my go:

Goalkeepers

Butland

McCarthy

Defenders

Walker

Ferdinand*

Smalling

Bertrand

Tomkins

Caulker

Midfield

Albrighton

Cleverly

Osman*

Lansbury

Ramsey

Rose

Sinclair

Forward

Sturridge

Rhodes

Bellamy*

Starting line up would be:

Butland

Walker Ferdinand Smalling Bertrand

Albrighton Osman Ramsey Sinclair

Sturridge Bellamy

Winner winner chicken dinner.

I would try and get Phil Jones, Martin Kelly and Andy Carroll involved but like Daveo has pointed out it would be very unlikely I would get them also dont think I could get Walker or Smalling either!

Group A

Great Britian

Senegal

United Arab Emirates

Uruguay

Group B

Mexico

Korea

Gabon

Switzerland

Group C

Brazil

Egypt

Bulgaria

New Zealand

Group D

Spain

Japan

Honduras

Morocco

I'll be honest I don't know a great deal about the kids from these countries, I would guess Great Britain are the strongest, Spain and Mexico would be the weakest so yeah, easy gold medal I reckon.

26th July - 8pm v Senegal

29th July - 7.45pm v UAE

1st August - 7.45pm v Uruguay

4th August Quarter Finals

7th August Semi's

10th August Bronze Medal Match

11th August Gold Medal Match

Archived