Safe Standing Trip Hannover + Giant Flag in AWD Arena

therams69

Hi all,

If some of you follow me on twitter or facebook you will have known that on Tuesday I visited the AWD Arena, home of Hannover96.

Basically I was helping make a film about safe standing that will be presented to UK politicians over the summer. In addition to me, Jon Darch, owner of the www.safestandingroadshow.co.uk and also a Peterborough fan who was the mascot helped out. I was invited by Jon as he knows my keen view on this whole safe standing project.

I was so impressed with the stadium. The safe standing looks absolutely brilliant and as soon as I walked into the ground you could feel the atmosphere and only 5 of us there!

Few points to note:-

- The home end holds 4000 SEATED. Safe Standing it holds around 7500. This is on a ratio of about 1.7 to each allocated space.

- The rail seats which is the model used are 12 years old from production. They looked brand new.

- NOT one home or away rail seat had been broken in the 7 odd years they have had safe standing. Can we say the same about plastic seats?

- In the 7 odd years there has not been 1 injury in the safe standing area yet has been in other areas of traditional seating.

- The Safe Standing area is always sold out and is the first area of the stadium to sell out.

- I cannot stress how safe it is compared to standing in normal seats. And it looked brilliant.

I also took the flag with me to get a few shots of it in the AWD Arena. I have uploaded all my photos so feel free to have a look at them.

This trip was funded by me and not the club.

Nick

@dcfc_flagman

[url=http://s1049.photobucket.com/albums/s394/dcfc_flagman/Hannover%202012%20-%20Safe%20Standing/]http://s1049.photobucket.com/albums/s394/dcfc_flagman/Hannover%202012%20-%20Safe%20Standing/

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Good on you Nick for taking the trouble and effort (and at personal cost to yourself) for getting things moving!

The flag looks great, so do the safe standing terraces.

What's your next step? Are you going to talk about it with DCFC, see what they say?

Good on you Nick for taking the trouble and effort (and at personal cost to yourself) for getting things moving!

The flag looks great, so do the safe standing terraces.

What's your next step? Are you going to talk about it with DCFC next, see what they say?

Thanks hun, cant wait to see the video! 'http://www.dcfcfans.co.uk/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/laugh' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':lol:' />

Check out the safe standing roadshow website for what Derby think. I have sent them a report on my findings though.

Hi all,

If some of you follow me on twitter or facebook you will have known that on Tuesday I visited the AWD Arena, home of Hannover96.

Basically I was helping make a film about safe standing that will be presented to UK politicians over the summer. In addition to me, Jon Darch, owner of the www.safestandingroadshow.co.uk and also a Peterborough fan who was the mascot helped out. I was invited by Jon as he knows my keen view on this whole safe standing project.

I was so impressed with the stadium. The safe standing looks absolutely brilliant and as soon as I walked into the ground you could feel the atmosphere and only 5 of us there!

Few points to note:-

- The home end holds 4000 SEATED. Safe Standing it holds around 7500. This is on a ratio of about 1.7 to each allocated space.

- The rail seats which is the model used are 12 years old from production. They looked brand new.

- NOT one home or away rail seat had been broken in the 7 odd years they have had safe standing. Can we say the same about plastic seats?

- In the 7 odd years there has not been 1 injury in the safe standing area yet has been in other areas of traditional seating.

- The Safe Standing area is always sold out and is the first area of the stadium to sell out.

- I cannot stress how safe it is compared to standing in normal seats. And it looked brilliant.

I also took the flag with me to get a few shots of it in the AWD Arena. I have uploaded all my photos so feel free to have a look at them.

This trip was funded by me and not the club.

Nick

@dcfc_flagman

[url=http://s1049.photobucket.com/albums/s394/dcfc_flagman/Hannover%202012%20-%20Safe%20Standing/]http://s1049.photobu... Safe Standing/

Did they say why they feel the need to fence in the standing areas? Not being negative, just curious?

Did they say why they feel the need to fence in the standing areas? Not being negative, just curious?

Very good point. This wouldnt be an option over here. Basically thats the way Germans want and like it. They use it for hanging flags etc from. And just so you know each gate is manned and also has automatic opening sensor. Also no possibilty of crush as you cant actually move from your allocated space due rail.

Very good point. This wouldnt be an option over here. Basically thats the way Germans want and like it. They use it for hanging flags etc from. And just so you know each gate is manned and also has automatic opening sensor. Also no possibilty of crush as you cant actually move from your allocated space due rail.

You have worked really hard with this on that alone deserve some success. It wouldn't appeal to me but only cos I'm a lazy short ass who wants to sit down, but there is clearly a demand.

You have worked really hard with this on that alone deserve some success. It wouldn't appeal to me but only cos I'm a lazy short ass who wants to sit down, but there is clearly a demand.

Thanks mate, I am just helping Jon who is the real star!!! He is so passionate and knowledgable about it all.

Also great credit to Hannover96 staff who helped film and talked to us for about 5 hours of their day. I will actually be going over to a Hannover96 game as guy said he will sort some standing tickets out.

All about choice, if you wanted to stand you can and if you want to sit you can.

Can I just check Nick - if it's being used as an allseater area then the seats are sold 1 per space. If its being used as a standing area then there's more than 1 person per seat, so you have to stand and can't sit?

Is it unreserved if it's sold as standing?

What would be wrong with putting the rails and stuff in now and using at seated area and terraces if the club held concerts (assuming the velodrome doesn't get built)

Can I just check Nick - if it's being used as an allseater area then the seats are sold 1 per space. If its being used as a standing area then theirs more than 1 person per seat so you have to stand and can't sit?

What would be wrong with putting the rails and stuff in now and using at seated area and terraces if the club held concerts (assuming the velodrome doesn't get built)

Can I just check Nick - if it's being used as an allseater area then the seats are sold 1 per space. If its being used as a standing area then theirs more than 1 person per seat so you have to stand and can't sit?

Correct that if used as a seated area for european games as they have to be it is 1 per seat.

If used as standing area can be one per seat or three per two spaces. i.e. one in front and two behind. You cannot sit if used as standing area as the seat wont be down but locked.

No its not unreserved if standing. You still have an allocated space. Its like how it is now except 1. its safe and 2. no seat behind your legs.

Hope this helps but any more questions feel free to add mate.

Archived