The unofficial Euro 2012 thread

Bris Vegas

Any chance we can have one big thread for the Euro 2012.. Similar to the Official non-dcfc football thread in the 'football talk' section?

One to include injuries to key players, warm-up games, suprise conclusions to teams, in-game posts, general Euro 2012 news instead of having 10-15 different threads..

Anyway, to get started here a few suprising warm-up games..

Switzerland 5-3 Germany

Holland 1-2 Bulgaria

Denamrk 1-3 Brazil

Portugal 0-0 Macedonia

Good start for the group B teams then..

France just won 3-2 after being 0-2 down.. And good news for us, Loic Remy will miss the competition..

• Replies 223
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Germany haven't actually won a game in 2012 yet.. That's not the best preparation going into the tournament.. Not to mention the mental scars for those 8 Bayern players, finishing 2nd in the league, losing the cup final 5-2 to Dortmund before losing to Chelsea on penalties..

They've also conceded 10 goals in the last 4 games.. Defensively something seems to have gone wrong, and even with Hummels playing who is a top defender, they still shipped the goals..

Spain on the other hand are absoloutely flying, and they've got such a good squad that they can rest the Barca players (Xavi, Iniesta, Pique, Pedro, Busquets, Fabregas) and still comfortably beat competitive opposition like Serbia and Venezuela..

I'm not really sure why Germany are made such heavy favourites.. Whilst they've got quality midfielders in Ozil, Muller, Kroos, Schweinsteiger etc.. They lack a clinical finisher (Klose and Gomez need 10 chances each to score) and their defence is suspect..

Against a decent attacking team (France) or a controlling team (Spain, Italy) I think they'll struggle.

Anyway, Ukraine are in action tomorrow, I wonder if Roy will be taking note.

Germany haven't actually won a game in 2012 yet.. That's not the best preparation going into the tournament.. Not to mention the mental scars for those 8 Bayern players, finishing 2nd in the league, losing the cup final 5-2 to Dortmund before losing to Chelsea on penalties..

They've also conceded 10 goals in the last 4 games.. Defensively something seems to have gone wrong, and even with Hummels playing who is a top defender, they still shipped the goals..

Spain on the other hand are absoloutely flying, and they've got such a good squad that they can rest the Barca players (Xavi, Iniesta, Pique, Pedro, Busquets, Fabregas) and still comfortably beat competitive opposition like Serbia and Venezuela..

I'm not really sure why Germany are made such heavy favourites.. Whilst they've got quality midfielders in Ozil, Muller, Kroos, Schweinsteiger etc.. They lack a clinical finisher (Klose and Gomez need 10 chances each to score) and their defence is suspect..

Against a decent attacking team (France) or a controlling team (Spain, Italy) I think they'll struggle.

Anyway, Ukraine are in action tomorrow, I wonder if Roy will be taking note.

Mental scars from losing two finals.. if anything that should give them more determination and drive to want to win the cup, depends on the pschye of the players i guess but its not neccessarily a big deal. Also, are you talking about Mario Gomez? I fail to see how scoring 26 goals in 33 league appearences in one of the toughest leagues in the world does not make you a prolific striker. I do agree with you though that Germany are a little over-rated and Spain are no doubt the best team in the competition (or world for that matter) creatively, however their defence lets them down a little especially without Puyol and they lack an in-form clinical striker more-so than Germany (although I do like Llorente) so I think the German's look better all-round on paper.

Have a feeling we could have a bit of a suprise this year.

Germany has more none germans (or nationalised) playing for it than most of the other Euro squads..! Bit like our cricket team 'http://www.dcfcfans.co.uk/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/smile' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':)' />

True , Podolski and Klose are born Polish , Cacau Brazilian , not sure about Ozil , plus they have a couple of Benders in their team (lars and sven)

Mario Gomez has fantastic supply in the mould of Dutchman Arjen Robben, and Frenchman Frank Ribery. Having watched him play a few times he's a bit of a let down. Steve Davies would score as many goals with that kind of support. If Gomez could finish his chances Bayern would be champions of Europe.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/18232535

Gareth Barry has been ruled out of Euro 2012 because of a groin injury, the Football Association has confirmed.

The England midfielder, 31, had a scan earlier on Monday, which confirmed he had a tear to the muscle in his lower abdomen.

"I'm very disappointed to lose Gareth," said manager Roy Hodgson. "I'm sure he will still have a part to play with England after the Euros."

Hodgson has called up Everton defender Phil Jagielka to replace Barry.

Not that disappointed, really. Thought whilst he was on the field against Norway his performance was very poor. Jagielka is consistent.

Mental scars from losing two finals.. if anything that should give them more determination and drive to want to win the cup, depends on the pschye of the players i guess but its not neccessarily a big deal. Also, are you talking about Mario Gomez? I fail to see how scoring 26 goals in 33 league appearences in one of the toughest leagues in the world does not make you a prolific striker. I do agree with you though that Germany are a little over-rated and Spain are no doubt the best team in the competition (or world for that matter) creatively, however their defence lets them down a little especially without Puyol and they lack an in-form clinical striker more-so than Germany (although I do like Llorente) so I think the German's look better all-round on paper.

Have a feeling we could have a bit of a suprise this year.

If you take a look at Mario Gomezs record it's in fact really strange.. He's either on fire and banging in the goals or he's missing a hatfull.. In the league alone Gomez has scored 4 vs Freiburg, 3 vs Kaiserslauten, 3 vs Hoffeinheim, 2 vs Berlin, 2 vs Stuttgart, 2 vs Nurnberg, 2 vs Augsburg... In 7 games alone he scored 18 goals.. 18 of his 26 goals in the league came in 7 games meaning his other 8 goals came in 26 games.. That's not actually very good..

In the big games Gomez went missing and wasn't clinical enough.. If he had been clinical they would have beaten Chelsea, Dortmund twice in the league (they lost both games 1-0) and wouldn't have needed penalties to beat Real Madrid.. I predict he'll be the same for Germany, he'll probably score all 4 in a 4-0 tonking of Denmark and another 2 againt someone like Greece in the 1/4 final but in the semi-final he'll go missing and Germany will slump to a 1-0 to either Spain or France..

Bayern and Barca both suffered for the same reason.. They tonked teams 7-0 on a good day but on a not so good day only managed a draw (0-0 and 1-1) and that's where the strikers have to step up..

I think Spain will win many games 1-0 or 2-0 for that reason they miss a clinical striker.. The back 5 in Casillas, Arboloa, Pique, Sergio Ramos and JuanFran will be the best in Euro 2012 IMO.

Archived