What if

Hoggy

What are people's thought on owners/management if we finish below 12th next season.

For me a club of Derby's size/fanbase to have not made the playoffs for this long is a disgrace.

Just my opinion and people who go on about lack of finance Tom Ince and Matt Phillips combined cost less than Maguire.

If Blackpool can do it twice in two attempts(finish top 6 that is) i don't feel it unresonable to expect one top six finish in NC fifth attempt

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The Rams have always been an all or nothing team.

When they do well they get promoted.

Just lately I tend to agree we've had nothing but I don't put this down to any lack of effort on Nigel's part. We could have a lot of less able managers and languish in the "third division.

No grounds always half empty though so they can't empect alot.

I'd like to think our ambitions though are not to be compared to Coventry

Just trying to make the point that there are clubs with more to moan about. Also the period of change and financial restructuring we have been through in the past few years it is remarkable that we were anywhere near mid-table. We are headed in the right direction and for that I am thankful

What are people's thought on owners/management if we finish below 12th next season.

For me a club of Derby's size/fanbase to have not made the playoffs for this long is a disgrace.

Just my opinion and people who go on about lack of finance Tom Ince and Matt Phillips combined cost less than Maguire.

If Blackpool can do it twice in two attempts(finish top 6 that is) i don't feel it unresonable to expect one top six finish in NC fifth attempt

It's not as simple as that. Were you about in the 2000s?

Years of terrible mismanagement on and off the field came to a head on pitch in 2008, and it is for that relegation that we are still paying for.

We are where we are because of that and the years before it. We consitently gambled on getting into the top flight, trying to stay in it, or trying to get lucrative owners in without properly checkign them through and we weren't a big enough club then for it to properly pay off.

We're still in debt from those years and we're determined to pay that debt off. Our board is preaching a message to the rest of the league so that clubs like us do the same.

Whether you agree with that or not, that is why we are where we are. And, to be honest, it does make our manager's job difficult. He's expected to make us twice as good at half the cost.

The disgrace is English football, not our inability to finish above Blackpool. The Premier League has ruined it for clubs like us. Relegation from the Premier League can turn into a disaster, and the two other clubs that came down with us in 2002 have not returned since - and, incidentally, we finished above them both this season.

For every Wigan and Blackpool that enjoy comparative success, there is two Derbys, Southamptons, Coventrys, Middlesbroughs....fairly big clubs from footballing towns which built stadiums in the 2000s or late 1990s, and when they got relegated last decade it hit them hard.

That is English football. That is where we are. Club size does not give you a divine right to be in the top flight* and it's often the reason why we and clubs like us struggle.

That's not Nigel Clough's fault, nor the boards. The way they are dealing with the club is up for debate but it's not like they're managing a massive club that's in a minor blip from years in the top flight.

*was this ever true?

It's not as simple as that. Were you about in the 2000s?

Years of terrible mismanagement on and off the field came to a head on pitch in 2008, and it is for that relegation that we are still paying for.

We are where we are because of that and the years before it. We consitently gambled on getting into the top flight, trying to stay in it, or trying to get lucrative owners in without properly checkign them through and we weren't a big enough club then for it to properly pay off.

We're still in debt from those years and we're determined to pay that debt off. Our board is preaching a message to the rest of the league so that clubs like us do the same.

Whether you agree with that or not, that is why we are where we are. And, to be honest, it does make our manager's job difficult. He's expected to make us twice as good at half the cost.

The disgrace is English football, not our inability to finish above Blackpool. The Premier League has ruined it for clubs like us. Relegation from the Premier League can turn into a disaster, and the two other clubs that came down with us in 2002 have not returned since - and, incidentally, we finished above them both this season.

For every Wigan and Blackpool that enjoy comparative success, there is two Derbys, Southamptons, Coventrys, Middlesbroughs....fairly big clubs from footballing towns which built stadiums in the 2000s or late 1990s, and when they got relegated last decade it hit them hard.

That is English football. That is where we are. Club size does not give you a divine right to be in the top flight* and it's often the reason why we and clubs like us struggle.

That's not Nigel Clough's fault, nor the boards. The way they are dealing with the club is up for debate but it's not like they're managing a massive club that's in a minor blip from years in the top flight.

*was this ever true?

Very goods points and agree on a lot of what you say but i wasn't saying we have a divine right to be in the Premier League don't think I even mentioned it.

What i said was i am very disappointed(okay maybe abit harsh word useage with disgrace) not to have finished in the top six for so long when there are teams like Blackpool doing just that

Very goods points and agree on a lot of what you say but i wasn't saying we have a divine right to be in the Premier League don't think I even mentioned it.

What i said was i am very disappointed(okay maybe abit harsh word useage with disgrace) not to have finished in the top six for so long when there are teams like Blackpool doing just that

I made assumptions there but I was sensing you were arguing that the players/board/manager were holding us back from being in the top 6, which we should be competing for.

I find it fustrating too. Losing 4-1 at home to Scunny was the absolute low point for me though.

I was just commenting that we can't expect much else and that actually, this is the reality for clubs like us. With Doncaster gone there is only Peterborough left as a small club. We have Leeds, possibly both Sheffield clubs, Charlton, Forest, Leicester, Wolves, Bolton...almost every single fixture could have been considered a top flight fixture not too long ago.

There's a lot said about our board's ambition and short-term I think they do lack it. But, assuming their propaganda is correct, surely there's a lot of ambition in trying to change the structure of the league to benefit us and establishing ourselves as long-term challengers within that system?

I say propaganda because at the moment, it's just that. We've seen nothing yet and we're relying on Tom Glick's words, which occasionally modify the truth a little.

Wigan fans will be asking the same question in 10 years.

They're in the same position we were in 10 or so years a go, yet we dont think they deserve to be in the PL.

Not quite the same position, there is one major difference FANS

I made assumptions there but I was sensing you were arguing that the players/board/manager were holding us back from being in the top 6, which we should be competing for.

I find it fustrating too. Losing 4-1 at home to Scunny was the absolute low point for me though.

I was just commenting that we can't expect much else and that actually, this is the reality for clubs like us. With Doncaster gone there isn't a single small club in this league. Not one. We have Leeds, possibly both Sheffield clubs, Charlton, Forest, Leicester, Wolves, Bolton...almost every single fixture could have been considered a top flight fixture not too long ago.

There's a lot said about our board's ambition and short-term I think they do lack it. But, assuming their propaganda is correct, surely there's a lot of ambition in trying to change the structure of the league to benefit us and establishing ourselves as long-term challengers within that system?

I say propaganda because at the moment, it's just that. We've seen nothing yet and we're relying on Tom Glick's words, which occasionally modify the truth a little.

Not all propaganda- the finances have been shown to have improved and they have stood behind Nigel at every turn

Not all propaganda- the finances have been shown to have improved and they have stood behind Nigel at every turn

No, not all, but we have to trust them that FFP will be as effective as they say it will be, which is what I was referring to.

Archived