What is with Shack's passing?

p.shilton

Great result tonight boys, well done.....BUT

I really don't want to be negative or seem like I am getting at him as I think he is a class defender, but what is the deal with Shacks passing? It either goes straight up in the air (ala Savage) out for a goal kick or off for a throw in. It was very apparent tonight that he cannot complete a 5 yard pass and the ball just kept coming back if it wasn't off the pitch. I noticed it against Watford and again tonight- has he always been woeful or is it a recent thing?

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Probably better than Barker by a nose. Not fussed though, as long as they defend well.

Don't agree on recent evidence- It is all very well defending well but if you are just going to be giving the ball straight back to the opposition it begs the question as to whether it was actually good defending in the first place.

I raised this point the other week and said if Buxton did what Shackell does with the ball a lot of our fans would be ripping him to pieces..

Obviously not saying Buxton is as good as Shackell, just that Shackell does have weaknesses. He hardly won a header against Tudgay last night then Buxton came on and never lost a header against him.

I think Shackell looks like he is playing through injury sometimes.

He did a few bad uns against Forest but can't say it been as bad as any other of our defenders this season. For me he shouldn't have to be making the balls he is as often as he does, we're so static at times the only option we normally have is sideways or a Hollywood ball.

Archived