Wireless Internet Problems

Perky1106

For about three months my wireless internet has been completely ***** and I'm fed up of it.

The thing is, the router is a downstairs and my (desktop) computer is in an upstairs room, but not far from the room where the router is. There is some concrete structure that's probably inhibiting it.

However, it either works absolutely wonderfully, and I'm able to download at 1Mbps. Then suddenly it goes slow and struggles even to load up Google. 'http://www.dcfcfans.co.uk/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/sad' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':(' />

No matter how fast or slow it still says the connection is "fair" and is at the same speed (27Mbps).

Any idea what it is that's making it so inconsistent? Is it some kind of interference?

I'm honestly stuck, and feel pretty stupid having to make this thread.

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You definitely have poor signal quality/interference problems, "fair" isn't good enough really.

The quickest, easiest thing to try is to change the wireless channel the router is using, it could be other routers near you on the same channel that are making the problem worse.

You should be able to do this from it's admin pages if you know how. Just try trial and error until one helps (or not!).

I've tried changing the channels and that hasn't worked. Neither has turning the router off and on again (before Boycie reads this 'http://www.dcfcfans.co.uk/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/tongue' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':P' />).

Do you have any idea what could be the interference? Is it a mobile phone? A router from a nearby house? Because my Android phone also has WiFi and has the same inconsistency problems with connections.

First step is move you're PC closer to the router - better reception? Problems gone? If so you're just unlucky that your house (or something in it) blocks the signal.

You could try another router, some have much better signal strength than others (does it have an internal or external aerial for example).

Other alternatives - get a long ethernet cable and run it up through the house; get some Powerline adapters and go through your electric sockets 'http://www.dcfcfans.co.uk/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/smile' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':)' />

I'd suggest you try using the computer wired into the router for a while. If it still slows down, your problem is your broadband and not your wireless.

Have all the devices in your phone sockets got filters on them (presuming it's ADSL, wouldn't know about cable)?

You can get signal boosters that ride on your mains if it turns out that the building is interfering with the signal.

Have you checked to see if a neighbour is tapping into your internet?

We had times a few months back it used to crawl, found out somebody was using our connection probably downloading films/music/. Set a access list up now with the mac addresses of all our gadets that connect to the wi-fi.

Have you checked to see if a neighbour is tapping into your internet?

We had times a few months back it used to crawl, found out somebody was using our connection probably downloading films/music/. Set a access list up now with the mac addresses of all our gadets that connect to the wi-fi.

This is a good point, its defienetley worth checking. You should make sure that your wireless security is turned on. Many third party routers (not provided by your ISP) have not got security turned on by default.

Just musing as I had similar problems. Tried a few fixes such as changing wireless channel, but these sorts of things can be really hard to pinpoint.

A lot of slowdown is attributed to your ISP through traffic shaping. You'd know if it was this if it happened at particular times namely 6-10pm. Out of interest what modem/router are you using?

Cheapest option is can you rig a long ethernet cable to the computer? (only good if you can keep the cable tucked away like under a carpet) Get them on fleabay for a few quid.

Another thing I was thinking was how many devices do you have connected through wireless?

Another question. Do you get many disconnects? I'm no expert but these things are usually solvable with a bit of perseverance.

Archived