We need a proven goal scorer

Ianbeal

The difference between the two sides last night was that they had a £3million proven striker.

PROVEN...

Quite clearly we don't have enough proven players in any position. A couple of proven centre backs. A proven left back that no-one really rates. Is Green 'proven'? Is Ward 'proven'? In other words, who is demostrably 'up to it' by what they've shown elsewhere (cause nobody has been here long enough to have proved anything, clearly)?

Mind you, the team Ipswich put out last night was as about as 'proven' as you can get and they were utterly hammered...

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've said before that what we lack up front is a natural finisher. Someone who can finish a chance when he gets the ball in the area. Mackail-Smith only needed two opportunities but he scored one and hit the post with the other. We were linked with him, Sharp and Hooper around a year or two ago.

How about Le Fondre? Scored his 5th/6th for Reading midweek and cost less than Maguire, who is now unable to make the squad of a team who have won 1 in their last 11.

Tyson will offer us a threat when he returns but we can't rely on him to score us 20 a season. We have still not replaced Hulse up front and Commons was well on his way to scoring 20 last season before he realised he couldn't be arsed.

Several times against Brighton Ward put a cracking ball into the box, only for Priskin to get it caught between his feet, get beaten to it by Ankergren or for Hendrick to put it wide. A Sharp or Hooper would have finished those opportunities.

Wasn't Clough turned Sharp down cos 1-1,5 mil for him is too much?

No idea, but given that Clough was allowed £2million to spend on Hooper and HE said no (a sum of money Hooper subsequently joined Celtic for some time later) I don't think £1million-£1.5million would have been out of the question for Sharp. In fact I'd consider it something of a bargain

I've said before that what we lack up front is a natural finisher. Someone who can finish a chance when he gets the ball in the area. Mackail-Smith only needed two opportunities but he scored one and hit the post with the other. We were linked with him, Sharp and Hooper around a year or two ago.

How about Le Fondre? Scored his 5th/6th for Reading midweek and cost less than Maguire, who is now unable to make the squad of a team who have won 1 in their last 11.

Tyson will offer us a threat when he returns but we can't rely on him to score us 20 a season. We have still not replaced Hulse up front and Commons was well on his way to scoring 20 last season before he realised he couldn't be arsed.

Several times against Brighton Ward put a cracking ball into the box, only for Priskin to get it caught between his feet, get beaten to it by Ankergren or for Hendrick to put it wide. A Sharp or Hooper would have finished those opportunities.

The same Priskin who had one chance, one goal against West Ham? If he did [size=3]THAT[/size] every game, he'd be a 46 goal a season man, give the guy a break, he's scored in half his games for the rams and he looked a threat in the other.

Who says it has to be a 'goalscorer' from the championship?

Ricky Lambert is top goalscorer but he came from Bristol Rovers a league 1 club, same with Mackail Smith.

If we did have ambition, which we dont we'd go after Rhodes, although i know he's got like a £2 million price tag on him, or even Billy Kee at Burton, he's 20 looks half decent, someone like that is worth a gamble, at least he's shown promise.

The same Priskin who had one chance, one goal against West Ham? If he did [size=3]THAT[/size] every game, he'd be a 46 goal a season man, give the guy a break, he's scored in half his games for the rams and he looked a threat in the other.

Wasn't having a go at Priskin, I said at the time the reason he got it caught between his feet was probably down a lack of sharpness, he's played one game all season after all. Think he could prove to be a very good target man for us but we still need a quick, sharp finisher up front with him. Ward seems more comfortable on the wing at the moment and he's far too good there to put anyone else in.

As randombc said, I'd like to see us take a gamble on Billy Kee. Scoring for fun at the moment in League Two, he'd be well worth a punt. Rhodes would be another good signing, there are several quality strikers playing in the lower leagues at the moment. Even Bradley Wright-Phillips is looking like a new man under Chris Powell

I see the realism within the Derby fans is well and truly, go and get Nicky Maynard who turned down a 20k a week contract at Bristol, who were ready to make him their highest paid player in history.. that is not reasonable expectations, neither is waiting on a 4million pound rated striker who Jewell is desperate to sign, and would be willing to offer astronomical wages too.

Rhodes would be my dream signing, scores goals for fun but then again he would cost 2million+ minimum, so I am not expecting anything of that ilk and even then there is no certainty he'll perform to how we want, but this season he has more goals than games played, in league one... that is some achievement!

We aren't going to sign anybody who has proven ccc scoring ability.

That's the cold hard truth, we are not a "name" buying club anymore.

Clough seems to want to pick young talent who he can talk down to. Savage being at the club must of been killing him, with all his experiance etc.

I doubt clough would be able to manage a team full of estabished players. I mean, look at his back room staff, most players will have never heard of them. Metgod too i would say.

We will carry on trying to polish turds and hope we unearth an undigested diamond.

Problem is, it'll probably have come from within the accademy. So all these players that he finds and never plays will have been money down the karzi.

We need to adjust our sights a bit. Mid table and survival is the owners aim every season it seems.

I believe next year the board will be after promotion. To get back in Championship.

I agree, they'll expect us to at least be competing for top 6 for the duration of the season and they will back it financially. Not with the daft money of Fester / WHU / QPR, but in our own way (probably £2/3m on 3/4 players). We'll definitely be in the top 10 in terms of money spent next summer. Cheerio Pearson, Leacock & Bywater, thanks for the memories. Hello young squad, all a year older, more experienced, with 3/4 new signings.

Archived