The Rugby Union thread

MrsRam

• Replies 280
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Second place in the group so all blacks in second round, boks in the semi and Australia in the final.

You heard it here first.

We could go into the World Cup with a team that's been together for a few years - when did that last happen?

2003......and what happened then..........2015 winners England.......you heard it here first 'http://www.dcfcfans.co.uk/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/cool' class='bbc_emoticon' alt='B)' /> 'http://www.dcfcfans.co.uk/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/cool' class='bbc_emoticon' alt='B)' /> 'http://www.dcfcfans.co.uk/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/cool' class='bbc_emoticon' alt='B)' />

• 1 month later...

Superb England performance......bring on the neighbors..... 'http://www.dcfcfans.co.uk/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/biggrin' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':D' /> 'http://www.dcfcfans.co.uk/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/cool' class='bbc_emoticon' alt='B)' />

I was at Twickenham for the ABs game Frogg. Have watched England play all over the World..including the World Cup final in Sydney Telstradome but I dont think I have ever seen us play as well as today.

The next couple of years will see this squad grow in stature and confidence and I think Lancaster will go to Wigan RLFC for Sam Tomkins pretty soon too. We could be real contenders for the next World Cup.

I was at Twickenham for the ABs game Frogg. Have watched England play all over the World..including the World Cup final in Sydney Telstradome but I dont think I have ever seen us play as well as today.

The next couple of years will see this squad grow in stature and confidence and I think Lancaster will go to Wigan RLFC for Sam Tomkins pretty soon too. We could be real contenders for the next World Cup.

Six Nations Outrights

Very generous indeed. Our pack is key at this stage of development. Its mighty and when its on song then no side in the world will manage us well as we saw glimpses v Australia and Springboks and then bang on the mark V All Blacks.

Tomkins in at fullback and Goode moves into midfield alongside Tuilangi then we are a match for anyone.

• 4 weeks later...

Im backing Ireland for the Championship & possibly the Grand Slam - home games against England & France is a massive advantage & they play the shellshocked Welsh first up.

I think England will pull off their customary home win against the French but away games in Ireland & especially Wales will be tough - granted Wales have been in poor form recently & are massively injury hit but they will bring their absolute A game against us.

1. Ireland - 12 pts

2. France - 8 pts

3. England - 8 pts

4. Wales - 8 pts

5. Scotland - 2pts

6. Italy - zilch

England certainly showed moments of sheer class and brute force in the Autumn series. Jury still out for me on Robshaw as captain. He needs to get his decision making right more often at those key decision moments.

Wales have been ' sussed'!! And I wonder how Sean Edwards feels right now after Gatland overlooked him in favour of Andy Farell for the Lions tour! Strange one that.

They certainly did but I still have my doubts as to their ability to linebreak & convert their forward dominance into points. For all the brilliance of the AB game, we still looked very pedestrian against South Africa & Aus. Robshaw's decision making of course being a common theme in both.

For me, I think Lancaster needs to look at the centre partnership - Barritt will never let anyone down but there's precious little creativity with him & Tuilagi. I'd like to see Twelvetrees or Burns given a go at some stage.

Always thought Wales were a little over-rated last year - they played like a team with real momentum last 6N but were found out in Australia. Still got some class players though - I'd love to see Jonathan Davies in an England shirt.

Agree re Wales but if you gear the whole game plan to evolve of a fast 8 and flip centres with 15 and 11 as support to midfield then it wont matter how good those players are. The top 3 or 4 sides will eventually turn you upside down. Be interesting to see if Gatland persists with it..

England midfield you are spot on with and remains to be seen if Twelvetrees or JJ can have any impact if Manu is out!! I dont think we will risk him v Scotland.

I do have a solution to Englands midfield problem... He plays at Wigan and would cost an absolute fortune! Noted that he already made his 15s debut for Ba Ba,s!! Sam Tomkins would be another Jason Robinson moment. Just about unplayable on his day. He has it all...

I agree - I think Lancaster will play it very conservative against the Scots as its generally a pretty turgid affair.

Heard a lot about Sam Tomkins but with my aversion to all things rugby league, I don't know that much about him. I did hear that Wigan recently gave him a big new contract with a clause ruling out any switch for 2/3 years though. That said, being a Sale fan I think we should have first refusal on any north-west based League starlets when they do become available!! (& Lord knows we could do with the help)

I saw that Ireland have picked quite a few newbies this time. Unchartered territory makes them dangerous and vunerable. I have not seen much Heineken Cup this year so am totally unfamiliar with the new faces. Always interesting though. For what its worth I think Heaslip is not the right choice as captain for them.

I'm afraid so - I didnt mind it growing up but I think the inverted snobbery of the League lot & the fact I find Union to be a superior code means I won't really give League a chance now. Makes for good office banter up here in Yorkshire though.

Yes, Ireland are a bit of an unknown quantity but they've got the core of the Leinster side still plus some decent youngsters coming through - I like Zebo, the Munster wing & a couple of the Ulster kids too - esp Gilroy and Iain Henderson in the second row. Their pack will need to improve from that mauling we gave them at Twickers last year though!

Can't understand why O'Driscoll isnt captain still - even if he is coming to the end of his career.

I'm backing Ireland to win the championship, don't think any team will dominate, so no grand slam for anyone.

England showed signs of a major return to form in Autumn but the Irish and the Welsh will raise their game significantly against us as they always do. The French will struggle with their away fixtures, I'm hoping the Italians win that first game!

Love the 6 nations

Archived