To Ban Or Not To Ban

ladyram

The British Medical Association has called for smoking to be banned inside cars, for fear of passive smoking effects. This ban would include people travelling alone too (even on long journeys) as there is a belief that people getting into the car afterwards would still be affected.

So, what would your thought's be?

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't smoke, I can't stand smoking, and I am very anti-smoking, but occasionally I get lifts with guys who do smoke, and as far as I am concerned, it's their car, their rules.

The side issue is, you're not allowed/supposed to use a mobile/eat/drink/smoke when you are driving anyway.

Banning stuff is stupid. People should be shown the consequences of their actions, told the punishments for their actions (if they happen to be illegal) then given the choice as to whether they still want to proceed with their actions. This ban would be impossible to police, waste money, waste the courts time and probably not really save many more lives.

If you don't like someone smoking in their car, ask them to put it out until you've got out, find alternative methods of transport or grin and bear it.

Realistically, I can't see how this would ever be policed. The law states you can't use a mobile whilst driving but people still do it. Is there a law in place which states no eating too? I know you're not supposed to but is it a written law?

I don't smoke, I can't stand smoking, and I am very anti-smoking, but occasionally I get lifts with guys who do smoke, and as far as I am concerned, it's their car, their rules.

The side issue is, you're not allowed/supposed to use a mobile/eat/drink/smoke when you are driving anyway.

You are right, to the letter of the law you can't smoke when driving anyway, basically it's to do with objects in your hand that not to do with the car, but it's always over looked

I thought you could eat, drink and alter the car stereo? In my eyes, leaning over and getting a CD out of the glove box and then messing about changing it is more dangerous than lighting up. Just my opinion though.

A little old, but it's only gotten more strict: [url=http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/magazine/4788910.stm]http://news.bbc.co.u...ine/4788910.stm

"It comes down to the discretion of the police and in the past a motorist has been fined for eating an apple while driving and feasting on a Kit Kat."

"At the discretion of police" is a bit different from it being the actual law isn't it? You either can, or you can't. Rules should be black and white without shades of grey in between. 'http://www.dcfcfans.co.uk/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/wacko' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':wacko:' />

suppose its a case of driving without due care & attention.

If your getting your fag packet out of your pocket then getting a cig out, lighting ect can you honestly say your full attention is on the road whilst doing it??

what if a kid ran out infront of you or something no way you'd be able to react quick enough if you saw them atall

As an ex smoker I wouldnt care if someone lit up in their car,but im now aware of how nasty smoke is to the non smoker,especially children.As a postie I see women putting lipstick on while driving,hundreds of people on the phone while driving,some texting,cyclists texting.These people are accidents waiting to happen.

To ban people smoking would be impossible to police.

Archived