To Ban Or Not To Ban

ladyram

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This initiative is more about the effects of passive smoking - rather than from a safety perspective. That came about in 2010 when doctors called for a ban - which didn't achieve a whole lot.

Surely common sense from smokers must come into play here. I smoke, but you won't catch me lighting up in the car, whether or not the kids are there, for the same reason I don't smoke in my house. I smoke, yes - but that doesn't mean that everyone around me has to. In my opinion it's selfish of smokers not to take other people into account, particularly children.

On the flip side of the coin though, banning people from smoking while they are alone in their car is wrong. They are not hurting any one else and I can see why this is being opposed, unless of course, they're smoking pot and as a result are impaired. People who are leaving work stressed out will nearly always have a fag or ten on their way home. Can you imagine the amount of angry drivers and the increase of road rage incidents if they couldn't smoke? A lot of people find cigs lower their stress levels. Call it psychological if you want but it works for me. I just have a fag before I get in the car or I'll tell Dav to stop somewhere so I can get out and have one.

Smokers in general are treated like social pariahs and from the comment's I've read on the BBC website, it's being used as another stick to beat them with. Where will bans end? Should overweight folk be banned from going to fast food shops - or ban someone who likes a drink from buying booze?

At the end of the day it's their own decision and choice.

Anyhoo, am going down me garden forra fag 'http://www.dcfcfans.co.uk/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/wink' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=';)' />

The sad thing is ladyram a lot of people want a a tax increase on fast food or even a partial ban, we are adults and we can make our own decisions. I don't smoke but i respect the decision of those who do. While responsible smoking e.g. smoking outdoors etc is best i don't think it needs to be regulated to such an extent.

I agree partly with what you're saying YR - it's just kids in the car I feel sorry for. From that aspect, I seriously think parents should think again, then it wouldn't need regulating would it?

While I'm on about it, pregnant women who smoke really should get an education. 'http://www.dcfcfans.co.uk/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/angry' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':angry:' /> but saying that, they are fully aware of the risks but choose to ignore them. I can honestly say I packed in smoking when I knew I was pregnant with mine, only to start again a few months after they were born, because I was so stressed out. 'http://www.dcfcfans.co.uk/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/sad' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':(' />

I know, I'm bad aren't I?

I agree partly with what you're saying YR - it's just kids in the car I feel sorry for. From that aspect, I seriously think parents should think again, then it wouldn't need regulating would it?

While I'm on about it, pregnant women who smoke really should get an education. 'http://www.dcfcfans.co.uk/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/angry' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':angry:' /> but saying that, they are fully aware of the risks but choose to ignore them. I can honestly say I packed in smoking when I knew I was pregnant with mine, only to start again a few months after they were born, because I was so stressed out. 'http://www.dcfcfans.co.uk/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/sad' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':(' />

I know, I'm bad aren't I?

nah kids are stressful creatures, being one i know we are 'http://www.dcfcfans.co.uk/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/tongue' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':P' /> well that is part of responsible smoking in my opinion, e.g. if you have kids don't smoke around them etc.

Ban it altogether , they will not though, because of the lost revenue .

Wonder if the loss of revenue could be offset by the money saved by the NHS.

I'm not for banning smoking, I just wonder if, in monetary terms, it would be worth it.

We really are going down the 'nanny state' route, if people can't have a fag in their own car, on their own.

Wonder if the loss of revenue could be offset by the money saved by the NHS.

I'm not for banning smoking, I just wonder if, in monetary terms, it would be worth it.

We really are going down the 'nanny state' route, if people can't have a fag in their own car, on their own.

If its OK to smoke in your car or on your own, does that mean you can not get lung cancer 'http://www.dcfcfans.co.uk/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/smile' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':)' />

Of course you can get lung cancer - if you smoke. Just like you can die on the motorway - if you drive. You can die from taking a drug for the first time - or years down the road when you're a heroin addict.

The biggest killer in the world is a bite from a tiny mozzie.

My mum died of lung cancer aged 57 - she smoked. Her choice. She lived how she wanted.

Just seems to me that we are being told what to do and what not to do, as adults yet we let kids rule the fekin streets.

Easier to pull someone over whose having a crafty fag in their car - than deal with the kids running amock on our streets, dealing and killing eachother.

Of course you can get lung cancer - if you smoke. Just like you can die on the motorway - if you drive. You can die from taking a drug for the first time - or years down the road when you're a heroin addict.

The biggest killer in the world is a bite from a tiny mozzie.

My mum died of lung cancer aged 57 - she smoked. Her choice. She lived how she wanted.

Just seems to me that we are being told what to do and what not to do, as adults yet we let kids rule the fekin streets.

Easier to pull someone over whose having a crafty fag in their car - than deal with the kids running amock on our streets, dealing and killing eachother.

People dont choose to have 20 mosquito bites a day for fifty years though do they 'http://www.dcfcfans.co.uk/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/smile' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':)' />

Although I don't know the figures - I'm pretty sure that the government makes far more money from fag tax than what the nhs has to spend on smoking related illnesses. Of course, I could be wrong and no doubt will get told so if this is the case.

I know this isn't an excuse for folk to smoke a fag but for my generation fag advertising was everywhere - on the telly at sporting events - Embassy World Snooker, remember that? F1 had JPS and Gold Leaf sponsors, cricket had B&H.. so many were marketed, as a result, there were many more smokers then than now. Smoking was allowed everywhere, shops, trains, buses, restaurants, fags used to be sold in packs of 2, which were sold to kids, so I suppose you could say it was encouraged in a bonkers sort of way.

When I started smoking (in my 5th year at school to be precise, no, I'm not proud of it but there you are) smoking was the social drug of choice, even now it's still popular set against cocaine, herion, LSD etc - they are the drugs which will cause far more damage to your body as well as turn you into a fookin maniac.

Has anyone ever watched Dog The Bounty Hunter? Arresting bail skippers who quite often get caught with ice pipes, while he stands there smoking a fag whilst delivering a lecture about the dangers of drugs? The irony is amusing and somewhat hypocritical but the differences are obvious.

Don't get me wrong, smoking isn't any good for you either and one day, I hope to pack it in - but in a weird way it's the lesser of 2 evils, 3 if you include alcohol. I used to drink when I was younger - but I rarely touch it now.

Went to the shop last night, whilst waiting in the queue I looked at the price of fags, £7.20 for 20 B&H.

I now look at smokers chuffing away and think....what a dumbass.

That's a lot of money. I get baccy, which on average a pack that costs £6.50 will last me a fortnight. Roll em thin, like prison fags they are.

Going back to the price of 20 Benny's though, I know loads of people who spend more than that on a bottle of wine - every night.

On this topic, learned today that my ex wife ( who I confess not to like too much ), has cancer of the tongue and throat, she is 64 and has smoked as long as I have known her, since she was 19.

Thems the breaks , I wish her all the best, it may be self inflicted, but cancer is still a *******, I know, and wish it on no one, well maybe one person 'http://www.dcfcfans.co.uk/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/angry' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':angry:' /> , but I will not go further into that.

Thing is, if they really cared about peoples health, they could ban smoking, ban companies from manufacturing tobacco, burn all the tobacco crops in the world to stop smoking related diseases. They could ban alcohol, shut down all the breweries, burn all the barley crops in the world to stop alcohol inflicted diseases. They could ban cars, busses, trains and planes and make people walk everywhere to stop the massive polution of the atmosphere. The money saved could go on research for life saving and life extending drugs etc.

But they won't because then everyone will live until they're 120 years old, the world would have 10 billion people and we would be in a bigger mess than we are now.

Thought we had done away with such nanny state nonsence, but obviously not.

If you smoke with kids in the car, it's disgraceful and just as bad as causing them physical harm.

If you smoke with non-smoker adults in the car, it's just plain rude and ignorant.

If you smoke on your own driving, it's no problem to anyone else and is your own hopefully educated choice.

To put smoking whilst driving in the same bracket as using a mobile phone is just silly. You have no less control of the vehicle changing the radio station, using the indicators or changing gear.

Shame they can't spend time and resource enforcing the ban on mobile phone use and general bad driving, because the idiots are blatantly ignoring it currently

Archived