Shaun Barker - Blackpool

TheRams

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

SHAUN Barker could make his last appearance in a Blackpool shirt this afternoon after manager Ian Holloway admitted a transfer deal is very close.

Holloway has also seen a move for DJ Campbell collapse and endured a frustrating week in his bid to sign Charlie Adam.

The manager pleaded with top target Adam to get in touch, admitting that the Rangers midfielder had failed to respond to calls since the clubs agreed a £500,000 fee on Monday.

The Seasiders travel to Burscough for their first pre-season friendly this afternoon, when club captain Barker is expected to play 45 minutes at the heart of the defence.

Derby County have had two bids for the 26-year-old rejected, though Championship rivals Nottingham Forest could be in the driving seat with a cash-plus-play offer.

Speaking at a Bloomfield Road fans' event last night, Holloway said: "We are very close to a deal. The last thing I want to do is lose him but everyone has their value.

"What you have to remember is that players know what other people are getting paid at this level.

"Even if we doubled his money, it wouldn't be as much as the two clubs chasing him would offer."

If he does go to Forest I will make an exception and blame the board on this one. Blackpool told us last week what the X they wanted was, we had plenty of time to get in there and get the deal done. I'm not saying it's the Bodde situation all over again but we've missed out again by trying to haggle to much. Sometimes you just need to offer the money they want and let's face it we did need Barker.

i agree. nigel was very clear that he wanted sean barker and given the fact that we ve had money from mears and from villa, i think, on this occasion, the board should cough up and pay what blackpool are asking. if he s as good as blackpool fans say he is, he ll be worth it. i ve never criticised this board btw as i think overall they are doing a top job but i think they need to get behind nigel on this one:mad:

just saw this on avftt blackpools message board they had a q&a with holloway -

Ollie is a very honest man who wants things right before he begins. He revealed that the team will never go back to Squires Gate and every player has breathed a Bananas of relief at that news. Fylde is where the team will train until a purpose built training facility is developed on Owen Oyston's land (presumably at Wyndyke). Inevitably the first question of the night was about Charlie Adam. Ollie says he signed him last Wednesday, it's just the player himself has yet to turn up for contract talks! With regards to Shaun Barker, it looks like the club captain will be off after the manager revealed he couldn't match the offers from Derby and Forest who were offering to treble Reggie's money. However, he said he'll bring in players who will fill that place and will make sure that the team isn't weaker if he does go.

Originally posted by vicky-27;23307

[url=http://www.blackpoolgazette.co.uk/blackpool-football-club/Barker-race-gathers-pace.5456582.jp]http://www.blackpoolgazette.co.uk/blackpoo...pace.5456582.jp

Bids thought to be £700,000 with both teams offering a player - ours thought to be Dickinson.

Could well be true, him going out there on loan an netting some goals, maybe had settled in with a few of the staff and players up there.

2 different ends of the spectrum, blackpool or brighton, depends which beach he prefers.... lol

Archived