Battlefield 3

Day

Good game, graphics top notch, gameplay is fast paced...but the game has flaws.

Matchmaking stinks, trying to get into a game with a party in the same team and squad would be nice but it's impossible, 3 of us last night either got split onto seperate teams and squads or 1 couldn't even connect.

After the game it would be nice if you could create your classes for the next game, oh no you have to sit there and just look at the previous game stats and a 40 second countdown for the next game.

Also say you finish a game of TDM and you think oh I'll go and have a game of Rush now, you have to sit there, you have to sit there until the next game starts up so you can quit out the lobby. Why would they make you do that?

In other news....

Snipers have been nerfed to 2 shot kill's unless it's a headshot, in TDM you don't see any snipers but Rush 95% of the players are still snipers. In time when they realise they are crap Rush should hopefully improve as a gametype.

TDM is random spawns, you can't choose your spawns, not sure if it used to be but it helps towards the fast paced of the game. Someone will spawn behind you, but then you will spawn behind others and it kinda balances itself out throughout the game.

Prone is actually a good addition to the game, alot of people are trying to drop shot but it's an easy headshot as theers a slight delay between going prone and shooting so unless you see them coming then go prone dunna bother.

Tactical flashlight and laser's are pretty cool, flashlight seems like a better attachment, 1 on 1 your blinded and firing randomly as you can't see the outline of the other guy. Not everyone is using it although in time when it settles down I'd imagine you will see alot of people rocking the flashlight.

Semi automatic 3 or 1 round bursts are the way to go, you can't spam the trigger on fully automatics like you can in CoD due to the recoil.

The jumping/vaulting is still a little buggy, it can take a few attempts to jump over a small wall.

Anyhow it is a decent game, worth the £35 but will frustrate you at times, possibly not as much as CoD but once again CoD will beat this game hands down.

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Played this earlier. It just re-affirmed how much I loathe the bf games. MW3 will absolutely cream this. Should have spent less time polishing the graphics and more time on gameplay, which still sucks.

On the bright side, I got it for free and I can now trade it in and pick up uncharted 3 for pennies. Yippee!

Update - played this some more this evening.

Thought that they might have actually closed the gap on CoD this year, but frankly I'd rather chew off my own hands than endure much more of this.

All I asked of BF3 was that it kept me interested for a couple of weeks until MW3 came out. In the end it's not likely to see out 24 hours.

Anyone realistically thinking that this will rival MW3 is living in cloud cuckoo land.

shame, i was going to buy this but with some thinking after the demo i decided against it. It feels like a call of duty copy cat well the demo did which it didn't need to be. I loved battlefield bad company 2, one of the reasons was because it was different to anything else on the market and it was good fun to play if you were patient enough and got the hang of it.Battlefield 3 seems much different, the demo certainly was.

It didn't really seem much different to BFBC2 to me. It's certainly much closer to that than CoD.

The controls (for me at least) are clunky - I lost count of the number of times where I start firing only to either duck down mid flow or try and reload before I've finished them off.

The maps are huge - too big in fact. Even choosing your spawn point there are games where you end up spending a couple of minutes running back towards the action.

Knifing - No idea what the fook they've done to this. Happened to me 2/3 times where I got behind someone, got right up to the back of them, pressed melee only for it to wound and not kill them. I knifed one guy three times, and he knifed me a couple at the same time, neither of us died so I just shot him instead.

Prone - Great in theory, but now you just get snipers in prone on tops of buildings which is a pain in the @r$e.

Matchmaking - had one game earlier where all our team were <10, and all of their team were >10 - genius.

All in all, I'd say that if you like traditional BF gameplay you'll more than likely like BF3. Personally, I fooking can't stand it.

On the positive side, not once did I spawn in to instantly get run over by a jeep/tank/truck - although I'm sure if I put more time into it then it would have happened at least once...... 'http://www.dcfcfans.co.uk/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/laugh' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':lol:' />

It didn't really seem much different to BFBC2 to me. It's certainly much closer to that than CoD.

The controls (for me at least) are clunky - I lost count of the number of times where I start firing only to either duck down mid flow or try and reload before I've finished them off.

The maps are huge - too big in fact. Even choosing your spawn point there are games where you end up spending a couple of minutes running back towards the action.

Knifing - No idea what the fook they've done to this. Happened to me 2/3 times where I got behind someone, got right up to the back of them, pressed melee only for it to wound and not kill them. I knifed one guy three times, and he knifed me a couple at the same time, neither of us died so I just shot him instead.

Prone - Great in theory, but now you just get snipers in prone on tops of buildings which is a pain in the @r$e.

All in all, I'd say that if you like traditional BF gameplay you'll more than likely like BF3. Personally, I fooking can't stand it.

On the positive side, not once did I spawn in to instantly get run over by a jeep/tank/truck - although I'm sure if I put more time into it then it would have happened at least once...... 'http://www.dcfcfans.co.uk/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/laugh' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':lol:' />

ahh right, personally i prefer battlefield gameplay to cod, cod to me has run out of ideas, is old and has gone backwards since cod 4. They have whored themselves out with the franchise and like medal of honor it will eventually implode into a million pieces.

Can't see that happening any time soon to be honest.

CoD found the winning formula 4 years ago, and albeit with the exception of cosmetics, there really isn't much incentive to change, certainly not drastically.Just look at how many are still playing Black Ops 12 months down the line, and that was a relatively poor release in the franchise. CoD4 and MW2 still get full lobbies too, and they're what, 4 years and 2 years old?

2 huge advantages for CoD - it's far easier to 'pick up and play', and the experience is always far more polished. Whenever I play BF it always feels 'clunky'.

CoD realistically won't get a serious challenge until Respawn decide to drop a new FPS franchise on us, just like West and Zampella did with CoD after they'd left the MoH series.

Can't see that happening any time soon to be honest.

CoD found the winning formula 4 years ago, and albeit with the exception of cosmetics, there really isn't much incentive to change, certainly not drastically.Just look at how many are still playing Black Ops 12 months down the line, and that was a relatively poor release in the franchise. CoD4 and MW2 still get full lobbies too, and they're what, 4 years and 2 years old?

2 huge advantages for CoD - it's far easier to 'pick up and play', and the experience is always far more polished. Whenever I play BF it always feels 'clunky'.

CoD realistically won't get a serious challenge until Respawn decide to drop a new FPS franchise on us, just like West and Zampella did with CoD after they'd left the MoH series.

cod 4 struggles for anything above 10,000 players maximum on all the game modes on the xbox and the black ops release was a big flop. I know many people who hate black ops, but you are right until respawn come out with something or unless someone challenges cod it does seem unstoppable. However one year they may just come unstuck, eventually they will as soon as someone challenges them on the same type of game play. In the long term i think cod is finished, they have no new serious ideas and sooner rather than later someone will challenge them.

^^ Yeah that's exactly it. EA would love BF to be the CoD-killer, but realistically, it's just not going to happen. They've had a couple of bites at the cherry and failed. BF's had great first day/week sales, but you know that MW3's going to eclipse those figures.

^^ Yeah that's exactly it. EA would love BF to be the CoD-killer, but realistically, it's just not going to happen. They've had a couple of bites at the cherry and failed. BF's had great first day/week sales, but you know that MW3's going to eclipse those figures.

EA would but battlefield to me isn't or shouldn't be in direct competition with call of duty. They are completely different games for different people, the cod type of shooter is likely to hit bigger sales because it is the easiest game to play and is at a more frantic pace than battlefield. Battlefield is slower, more thought out, generally needs more teamwork in order to win and has a bigger learning curve. They attract different groups of people and i don't really think the games can be compared because they take such a different view of the genre.

Servers, oh dear oh dear.

Forget playing in a party with this game, it took 3hrs last night to finally get on the same team and squad.

During the 2nd game one lost connection and I gave up.

I actually like the game once your able to stay in a lobby, if they don't fix it by Nov 8th the game is screwed. No way will it be a COD killer and Alex W yes you I can see you reading....I told you so.

Started the sp earlier. Actually better than I expected given the widspread criticism. Just done the 'aircraft' mission. Incredible visuals and decent gameplay for a change for a flight mission. The other guy flies so you concentrate on the weapons and counter-measures.

Finished earlier myself. Very short. Probably about the same length as cod sp. Seemed shorter than bad company 2.

Tried one final time to get into mp. Everyone seems to be running around with the fooking flashlight, the uber noob-aid. No fun at all. Boxed up and ready to trade in for uncharted 3. Less than a week to complete that before a half decent fps comes out at last.

Archived