Legends night at Assembly Rooms tonight

Stive Pesley

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Loads of funny stories, although a few of them were the old chesnuts that get wheeled out every time (Cloughie following Gemmill home and not leaving until he signed etc).

Could have done without the auction though! I hadn’t realised it was a charity event. I was hoping they’d take questions from the floor, but instead we had to watch people trying to buy a picture of Charlie George.

The only question related to the modern club was “Will Nigel ever achieve as much as his Dad did?”. Archie Gemmill seemed a little bit overly blunt in his answer “not a chance in hell!”....but then he also said that Jack Wilshere is the best midfield player of the generation so what does he know?

just me then......

nice to hear Les Green getting lots of good mentions ......and Willie Carlin.

Do you remember the amazing save that Les Green pulled off against Jimmy Greaves at the Ossie end? I think it was the game when we stuck eight past them and that was as good a save as I've ever seen - including Banks against Pele..... I think I'm getting old 'http://www.dcfcfans.co.uk/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/smile' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':)' />

Do you remember the amazing save that Les Green pulled off against Jimmy Greaves at the Ossie end? I think it was the game when we stuck eight past them and that was as good a save as I've ever seen - including Banks against Pele..... I think I'm getting old 'http://www.dcfcfans.co.uk/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/smile' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':)' />

no it was the 5-0 in 1969/70

unfortunately i missed that game as we were at my cousins wedding

i never forgave her

i feel a bit sorry for les green and willie carlin

they rarely seem to get much mention and yet both were very important players in our glory days

they were both legends too

it would be great to see les, willie or dave mackay at one of these legends events

still....not complaining....it was nice to see john o'hare and kevin hector together again.

Les Green. Amazing goalie, Cloughie said "I'll sign you if you prove to me that you can touch the crossbar! A vertically challenged goalie.

Willie Carlin. How many times did he have a meaningful relationship with a corner post knocking the ball against it when Derby were ahead with 5 mins to go? True legends! Like them all in those years>

Archived