The People

MrsRam

ALAN SHEARER has missed out on a return to management with Nottingham Forest – after a behind-the-scenes shake-up.

Shearer was the choice of Forest advisor David Pleat to replace Steve McClaren, and the Match of the Day pundit was working on possible staff and signings if he got the nod.

But Pleat's departure means that the Newcastle United legend and short-term boss is off the shortlist for the post. He nearly took over at Cardiff in the summer but had a late change of heart.

Forest are now waiting on Nigel Clough to decide whether he is ready to quit Derby to boss the club his father Brian turned into European champions.

Clough has gone away for a break to consider his future as an official approach is expected within days.

[url=http://www.people.co.uk/sport/football/news/2011/10/09/shearer-misses-chance-to-become-nottingham-forest-boss-102039-23475982/]link

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Found this on the Sun website

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/sport/football/3853169/Rams-rush-to-keep-Nigel-Clough-away-from-Nottingham-Forest.html from earlier in the week.

DERBY will hurry along contract talks with Nigel Clough to keep him out of the clutches of arch rivals Nottingham Forest.

The bookies make Clough an 11-1 shot to follow in the footsteps of his late, great father Brian by quitting the Rams and moving on to manage at the City Ground.

Clough Jnr is in the final year of his Pride Park deal.

But Derby chief executive Tom Glick said: "We'd hope to sort something in very good time because Nigel is the guy for the long term."

They are reusing a quote from Glick from early last week before these rumours were stirred up. Suppose with it being a quiet weekend in the prem and the championship and the glaring job vacancies at forest and bristol add to that the obvious issue of Clough having a limsy 1 year contract running down. it was obvious the tabloids would try and create or look for a story here.

Paul Peschisolido is probably the most likely local manager to consider the role, why would Nigel want all the pain and agro of going through cost cutting and trimming a squad down. The best case for Forest is a £10m cut in wages and staffing costs, something that Shearer would struggle with.

Made up paper talk no doubt on the Shearer front with as much chance of happening as Forest winning the league this year.

Paul Peschisolido is probably the most likely local manager to consider the role, why would Nigel want all the pain and agro of going through cost cutting and trimming a squad down again. The best case for Forest is a £10m cut in wages and staffing costs, something that Shearer would struggle with.

Made up paper talk no doubt on the Shearer front with as much chance of happening as Forest winning the league this year.

I wish they would just appoint someone- all this speculation is getting on my nerves! Come on Forest, take the plunge and give us all a laugh- please make sure that it is someone sh*te.......Ince or Keane would be perfect.

Steve Cotterill from Pompey will be named the new Scum Manager in the next 48 hrs.

Is it me,or has he done nothing @ Pompey in the last 18 mths?

Steve Cotterill from Pompey will be named the new Scum Manager in the next 48 hrs.

Is it me,or has he done nothing @ Pompey in the last 18 mths?

Difficult job Pompey, at least he'll have money to spend at Fores.... oh, wait 'http://www.dcfcfans.co.uk/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/laugh' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':lol:' />

Don't they have to pay compensation?

Hmm, maybe they should have a word with their colleagues at Sky bet then as he is 40/1!

And Clough is 10-1, so according to them has more chance of taking over.

Disclaimer:- Im not hitting any panic button, I dont care if Clough stays or goes, and am just posting a reply, I also dont need to email sky sports to ask them why Clough is still 10-1....just saying 'http://www.dcfcfans.co.uk/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/smile' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':)' />

Archived