Wayne Rooney's dad arrested

uttoxram75

A new Betting scandal..

Wayne Rooney’s father was arrested today in connection with an alleged football betting scam.The Manchester United striker's uncle Richie, 54, was also detained by police.[size=3]

The two men were among nine who were detained by police in Merseyside and Glasgow. It is understood Wayne Rooney senior, 48, was arrested at his home in the West Derby area of Liverpool.[/size]

[size=3]

The development comes after a nine month investigation into the sending off of Motherwell midfielder Steve Jennings, 26. The former Tranmere Rovers player was also arrested in connection with the betting probe today.[/size]

[size=3]

[url=http://www.mirrorfootball.co.uk/news/Wayne-Rooney-s-dad-arrest-Scottish-FA-release-statement-on-betting-scandal-investigation-article808663.html]Scottish FA release statement [/size]

[size=3]

[size=3]

http://s0.2mdn.net/dot [/size]

[/size]

The Kirkby-born footballer was arrested by Merseyside police on behalf of the Gambling Commission at his home in Glasgow. He was one of nine people arrested, the other eight being detained at addresses on Merseyside.[/size]

[size=3]

After being booked for a foul early on in the game Jennings was shown a straight red card for putting his hand on referee Stevie O’Reilly and arguing when a penalty appeal was turned down in the 83rd minute of the SPL clash.[/size]

[size=3]

Jennings is alleged to have asked O’Reilly when he was going to stop “cheating” Motherwell.But questions were raised by bookies when it emerged that several bets were made on a player being sent off including a £500 gamble placed through a new account opened in Liverpool at 10/1 odds.[/size]

[size=3]

Two members of the Association of British Bookmakers, including online betting company Blue Square, reported concerns the day after the match.[/size]

[size=3]

In a statement SFA chief executive Stewart Regan attributed the information to the Gambling Commission and said the arrest follows “extensive inquiries” into alleged betting irregularities at a Scottish Premier League match.[/size]

[size=3]

Mr Regan added: “While the investigation involves several other individuals outside Scotland, it is important to stress that the evidence gathered throughout this thorough period of investigation has involved only one Scottish match.[/size]

[size=3]

“Motherwell FC are aware of the situation and will issue a response in due course.[/size]

[size=3]

“The Scottish FA will make no further comment at this stage.[/size]

[size=3]

”Merseyside Police said: “Detectives have today executed warrants at 10 addresses across Merseyside and Glasgow and arrested nine men as part of an investigation into suspicious betting activity.[/size]

[size=3]

“The arrests are the culmination of a joint operation with the Gambling Commission and the nine who have been arrested for conspiracy to defraud are being interviewed by detectives.[/size]

[size=3]

“Those arrested are a 29-year-old from Bootle, a 48-year-old from West Derby, a 54-year-old from Norris Green, a 26-year-old from Croxteth, a 22-year-old from Kirkdale, a 31-year-old from Litherland, a 68-year-old from Fazakerley, a 36-year-old from Kirkby and a 26-year-old from Glasgow.[/size]

[size=3]

“The investigation relates to a match between Motherwell and Hearts on December 14 2010.”[/size]

[size=3]Read more: [url=http://www.mirrorfootball.co.uk/news/Football-betting-scandal-Wayne-Rooney-s-dad-Thomas-nicked-EXCLUSIVE-article808660.html#ixzz1a0SBAyWx]http://www.mirrorfootball.co.uk/news/Football-betting-scandal-Wayne-Rooney-s-dad-Thomas-nicked-EXCLUSIVE-article808660.html#ixzz1a0SBAyWx [/size]

Sign up for MirrorFootball's Morning Spy newsletter [url=http://www.mirrorfootball.co.uk/profile/?uAction=register]Register here.....

[size=3]

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I can't figure some people out. Why do that when you know that if you're caught, you'll drag other people's names through the mud? Why do it anyway?

I wonder if Wayne coughs up his bail money. 'http://www.dcfcfans.co.uk/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/rolleyes' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':rolleyes:' />

Just going OT for a mo - did anyone see last week that the Man U goalie was hauled in after being caught nicking a donut from Tesco's? Bonkers.

I can't figure some people out. Why do that when you know that if you're caught, you'll drag other people's names through the mud? Why do it anyway?

I wonder if Wayne coughs up his bail money. 'http://www.dcfcfans.co.uk/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/rolleyes' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':rolleyes:' />

Just going OT for a mo - did anyone see last week that the Man U goalie was hauled in after being caught nicking a donut from Tesco's? Bonkers.

I think he just ate it - don't think it was the full on theft the Sun made it out to be.

I think he just ate it - don't think it was the full on theft the Sun made it out to be.

Well yep - the Sun does exaggerate stuff but even so, isn't it the norm to pay for something before you eat it? Otherwise, that's stealing surely?

Well yep - the Sun does exaggerate stuff but even so, isn't it the norm to pay for something before you eat it? Otherwise, that's stealing surely?

Maybe. But I don't think his intention was to break the law. What if he ate it and just walked out...if it's not in your hand I guess it might be quite easy to forget you ever had it?!

Not saying it's right, but I also don't think he's a shoplifter!

Maybe. But I don't think his intention was to break the law. What if he ate it and just walked out...if it's not in your hand I guess it might be quite easy to forget you ever had it?!

Not saying it's right, but I also don't think he's a shoplifter!

In a roundabout way, you have a point.

Years ago, when my eldest was in his pram, I went shopping, filled up me basket, didn't have enough room for kitchen towels, so I put them on top of the pram. I got to the till, paid me money and was walking out of the door and realised I hadn't paid for the kitchen towels. Being the good lil girl I am, I went back, said I'd forgotten they were there, and paid. An honest mistake on my part.

But, I'd never dream of eating anything before I paid for it, knowing full well it wasn't mine until I'd handed over the money. I don't know what happened with the goalie, he must have had a brain fade moment I guess.

Why would Mr Rooney need to get involved in this?

Surely his son has sorted him out with a room with a nice view, and enough to live comfortably...

You missed an opportunity there.

A Roon with a view?

C'mon!!! Get in!!

Archived