Barker/Anderson/Riggot verus O'Brien

rammieib

I am sure there will be a number of people disagree with me but when Anderson and Barker are fully fit, both should come back in ahead of O'Brien.

In the game yesterday, O'Brien was beaten far too many times in the air for my liking, and I think Barker especially wouldn't be allowing the opposing striker to win those headers. I think at the moment, he is also a little suspect when a bit of composure wouldn't go amiss. Finally he gives the ball away too much for my liking but at his age, I can accept that.

I'm looking forward to seeing a fully fit defensive duo of the Shack and Barker. What they may miss in speed will be more than compensated in an ability to get into decent positions.

I am really excited in Hendrick who I think offers more in a 4-4-2 than a 4-5-1 formation. Yesterday's winner will give him a lot of confidence to push on and try things and get into more positions in the box.

Although we are still a 'grafting' team - its looking quite exciting for once!

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

O'Brien is better along the floor than Barker, and positionally, holds together a much tighter defence..

Mentioned this a 1000x, Barker is massively overrated, and we're better off when he's not in the team.. I'm being proved right by our performances..

Barker was at fault for so many goals last year, yet people loved him for his attitude.

O'Brien and Shacks is our best combination..

I think O'Brien is naive at times. Goes tight a bit too eagerly sometimes. Drops off when he needs to be tight on occasion too. Then there's those moments like yesterday and Burnley when he wants to usher the ball out of play but doesn't seem to judge it quite right. Also, like Kilbane he has a tendency to go long and waste possession. Barker is a bit wiser. Not great on the ball, but he's a little more composed.

But look, O'Brien is what? 18/19? He's bound to be naive at times. He's perhaps not got that cool, confident composure on the ball seeing as this is all very new to him. But he's still learning obviously, and he's as tough as they come. As a teenager playing CB for a decent size club in the 2nd tier i find it bloody amazing that he is affective as he is. If he's only just starting out and is still very much at an age where he's learning, then the very foundations he has as a CB are really exciting.

He needs to make mistakes to learn from them. And at this early stage, he's far from riddled with problems. He's an 18yr old CB!! How many of those are knocking about in 1st teams at this level?

Barker i think if we cast our minds back to his first season, what he has to offer we can't ignore. Not at this level. It's the next step up imo. Heart of a Lion. Rarely loses a header and just has that knowledge that O'Brien is still developing. Last season i thought he looked like half the player he was the year before. Slow and out of position so much, i put it down entirely to fitness and sharpness that he was struggling to gain. But that's each to their own opinion.

I don't see any reason to rush him back. He needs to come back with that sharpness.

Riggott who knows exactly how he compares to the Riggott of old. Who can say?

Anderson, well, sometimes looks the part. But at others he looks poor. Plus he's injury prone.

Atleast O'Brien seems consistent.

Hendrick and O'Brien. I always thought Hendrick looked class but i didn't expect an teenage CB to be able to come in and show such authority. Seems solid enough to me.

Be nice now if Brayford could find some form.

He needs to make mistakes to learn from them. And at this early stage, he's far from riddled with problems. He's an 18yr old CB!! How many of those are knocking about in 1st teams at this level?

And we're 5th in the league, so not just a 1st team player but a 1st team player in a good competitive side.

Its nice this, we have 4 good centre backs all competing for first team places, quite exciting the quality we have in defence that we're not talking about who we need to bring in like in recent years.

Now I'm a big fan of O'Brien but he's young so lacks in experience. I don't really mind who plays CB between the 4 choices we have but Barker and O'Brien are my top 2. O'Brien is quality but Barker experienced. And what's more if I'm honest, I'm scared that when Barker's fit he'll come back into the side and disrupt things.

If it was my choice when Barker becomes available I would play him based on the fact that I don't believe O'Brien is ready to play week-in-week-out at his age. Love him to prove me wrong.

I can see O'Brien being our number one CB an a few years., for many years...hopefully.

Alpha - Very sensible post and agree with it all.

I'm also a fan of setting the team up to win games and playing the best team for that game. I would be very tempted to loan O'Brien out when the others are fit to keep him getting game time. Physically he isn't the strongest and does need to improve - but that will come over time.

Brayford's drop in form is harder to explain but then I am not unhappy with how he is performing - his mistakes are not costing goals.

Archived