FL Stat Attack - Shooting

Day

With three teams on maximum points in the npower Championship it is interesting to see how they have approached their games so far.

Southampton are not only top of the league table but also top of the goals scored league with nine goals from three games. The Saints have fired in 20 shots on target, 14 off target and hit the woodwork twice, so they are currently scoring with one in four efforts at goal. Compare that with joint top Derby County who have had the least efforts on goal in the whole division. Nigel Clough's side have mustered seven shots on target and four off but the Rams have the edge in terms of accuracy with four goals scored; a goal every 2.75 shots, stat lovers.

Couple that with the joint meanest defence in the division (only West Ham United can compete with the single goal that Derby have conceded so far) and you have the recipe for early success. The third team on nine points, Brighton and Hove Albion, have interestingly had twice as many shots as Derby in scoring six times.

Watford are the npower Championship hot shots by the way with a staggering 28 shots on target in three games and a further 15 missing the mark. Quite how the Hornets have managed to score just twice will be one of the things vexing new boss Sean Dyche.

Spare a thought for Grant McCann of Peterborough United who has drilled in ten shots on target and three just wide or against the woodwork with only the one goal to show for his industry.

Millwall's James Henry is certainly catching the eye. Henry has pinged in 15 shots so far (seven on target, eight off) to lead the shooting table and has also weighed in with two assists; only Scott McDonald of Middlesbrough can better that total.

Meanwhile the bottom two clubs, Coventry City and Doncaster Rovers must be cursing their luck. 25 and 26 shots respectively have earned the sides just one goal each in their opening trio of games.

http://www.football-league.co.uk/features/20110819/stat-attack-shooting_2293307_2425000

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I heard Nigel is well into his stats.

And once he heard about our conversion rate he asked the players to not bother shooting unless its definately going to go in.

Thus, Jamie Ward isnt injured he was subbed on saturday for repeatedly shooting from outside the area without scoring.

Okay so I've just had another look.

Shots against:

On target - 29

Off target - 37

Which means that so far, when defending shots on our goal, we have kept 98.5% of them from going in. :eek:

This is quite a contrast when considering that the respective percentage for our opponents as a whole is 66%!

An even better way to look at it is that 1.5% of shots we defend go into our net, while a whopping 33% of shots we produce go into our opponents' nets.

I'll no doubt once again get crucified for this but I don't like these stats and it doesn't make for comfortable reading..

It could only take a striker to hit abit of form or Frankie to have abit of a mare and we could be looking at a P'Boro-Ipswich type scoreline..

Got to feel abit for Watford, they've dominated 95% of every match they've played yet only have 2 points..

Whilst I'd like us to dominate every game I do understand that for some teams it still doesn't work out.. Anyone who was at Hull City during Phil Browns season (2005-06) will know what I'm talking about.. I was there, we lost 2-1, and it was the most one sided loss I had ever witnessed, I could not believe walking out the ground how many chances we squandered.. Shot count that game must have been something like Hull (4) Derby (25) and possession Hull (40%) Derby (60%)

There's shots and there's shots though. A significant proportion of those shots sgainst us are aimless shots from distance after we'd marked up and closed down their players. They almost all either dropped info Fieldings arms, or flew miles over the crossbar. How many genuine goal-scoring chances have opposing teams created against us? I reckon it must be comfortably in single figures.

There's shots and there's shots though. A significant proportion of those shots sgainst us are aimless shots from distance after we'd marked up and closed down their players. They almost all either dropped info Fieldings arms, or flew miles over the crossbar. How many genuine goal-scoring chances have opposing teams created against us? I reckon it must be comfortably in single figures.

Absolutley,

how often have opposing teams carved out a chance by getting the ball well inside our box.

Doncaster - 1 i think when Barnes hit a balloon into the stand

Blackpool - a couple of times at most - all through the game I never got nervous

Archived