Jason Shackell - Interesting

Skateboard P

Evening all -

Was visiting family in Barnsley at the weekend, and my Uncle lives near one of the Barnsley FC directors. When seeing him on a walk the other day my Uncle (Barnsley STH) asked why he let their best player go? The director replied that although he is a good player, he was not well liked and made for an unhappy dressing room. Wonder how he'll get on now he's not captain too?

I thought it was interesting anyway........ :D

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Or Savage is as big of a gypsy ****** in the dressing room as he is everywhere else.

I put this to you: When we were getting beat week in week out, do you think we would still be in this league if Savage hadn't been there with his banter to get people up for games? At least he remained positive when a lot of our players looked totally dejected. Maybe his legs were gone and wages to high, but he never shirked his responsibilities. QPR away comes to mind, displays like that build belief in a team.

Roberts just probably had a grudge over the national side politics.

Getting things back on track.......

The reason Barnsley cashed in is that they are hardly flush at the moment. Other legal issues are at hand too, which anyone associated with the club, especially at board level will know!

I wouldn't read anything in to the comment, I don't doubt that it has been made but it tends to be one of the throw away comments made to passify fans as to why a club has just sold one of it's best players. Look at the saga that unfolded with KC, in the end it left many fans with the opinion that he wanted to go anyway as a deal was on the table for him to stay. The reality was that the offer to him wasn't made soon enough, so his agent did what he is employed to do. Obviously once Celtic had come sniffing he was going to go, I suspect that the Board wanted to cash in all along but had to make a public show of trying to retain him, then they could say we matched the offer and it wasn't down to wages.

Barnsley, like several other NPC clubs (half a dozen at least) don't have two shillings to rub together and they needed to cash in on their most valuable asset. The harsh reality of where football is at I'm affraid, something that the younger generation won't have experienced in the mega TV deal world that has existed for the last 20 odd years.

Reality check time is here, so expect lots of similar smoke-screening comments from Boards of skint clubs.

Archived