Is it true?

WorksopRam

Is it true that, after leaving University, your debts are cleared if you then move out of the country and live abroad for three/five/however many years?

I know the 25 year clause, where it's wiped off if it takes you that long, but I've only really heard of the moving abroad one from a few people.

Can any of you clever forum folk confirm this?

Merci beaucoup.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply
http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/EducationAndLearning/UniversityAndHigherEducation/StudentFinance/RepayingStudentLoansCoursesStartingFrom1998/DG_10034872

It doesn't mention any thing about that here but that might be because don't want people to know so they can't hustle student finance. ;)

Haha, I hope it's true!

Wanting to move abroad in a few years, and it'd be a bonus if it was! :)

Haha, I hope it's true!

Wanting to move abroad in a few years, and it'd be a bonus if it was! :)

I'm afraid you won't get an added bonus according to this.

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=542987

and this,

http://uk.answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20100321225936AAfbMuM

And unfortunately these two websites tend to be quite reliable when it comes to correct information so sorry Worksop. :(

There was a loop hole way back if you were made bankrupt student loans could be incorporated into this. As for living away, I can't be arsed to check but I do know with my post 98 loan when I lived abroad for a time you are meant to tell HMRC and make arrangements to pay if you're earning. So I cannot see how living abroad for any time would absolve you of this debt. Just doesn't make sense. Unless of course you qualify living abroad with changing your identity.......

There was a loop hole way back if you were made bankrupt student loans could be incorporated into this. As for living away, I can't be arsed to check but I do know with my post 98 loan when I lived abroad for a time you are meant to tell HMRC and make arrangements to pay if you're earning. So I cannot see how living abroad for any time would absolve you of this debt. Just doesn't make sense. Unless of course you qualify living abroad with changing your identity.......

You could probably get away with it for a few years and earn money in a foreign country. But you'll eventually be found out, and they'll add interest and possibly prosecute you.

I reckon a lot of people are gonna try and pull a fast one due to the fact their debts are expected to be pretty huge.

Why even bother going to uni and racking up debts?? I know many jobs that pay better than those that require going to uni. It's only really worth going if you're going to study something incredible advanced.. Like Medical or Engineering..

I feel those that go to uni to do Socialogy or Sports Management etc. Are just wasting their time..

The uni life that people also crave also can be bettered by travelling IMO.. No need for debts.

Why even bother going to uni and racking up debts?? I know many jobs that pay better than those that require going to uni. It's only really worth going if you're going to study something incredible advanced.. Like Medical or Engineering..

I feel those that go to uni to do Socialogy or Sports Management etc. Are just wasting their time..

The uni life that people also crave also can be bettered by travelling IMO.. No need for debts.

I wish this answered my query.

No comment, based on your previous post. :)

I reckon sports management.. Don't do it mate!

Seriously you'll come out with a first or a second and the first thing anyone will ask for is 'experience' in which you won't have any.. The best job you can hope for is a manager of a Leisure Centre or something like that.. I got offered an assistants job ($40k a year AUS) in Australia after a month of swimteaching.. It was that simple..

You'd be better off travelling whilst your young.. You'll learn 10x more from life experience than what anyone can possibly teach you in a university.. And while you're at it, you should think about taking up a new language to improve further opportunities..

My mate left college went straight into a call centre ($18.5k UK a year) and has now (after 2 years) been offered a position in a foreign country that deals with DHL, with schools provided to learn a new language..

I only advise this if you're a person looking to travel or experience new places.. If your heart is set on staying in England and being close to family by all means go to uni.

I reckon sports management.. Don't do it mate!

Seriously you'll come out with a first or a second and the first thing anyone will ask for is 'experience' in which you won't have any.. The best job you can hope for is a manager of a Leisure Centre or something like that.. I got offered an assistants job ($40k a year AUS) in Australia after a month of swimteaching.. It was that simple..

You'd be better off travelling whilst your young.. You'll learn 10x more from life experience than what anyone can possibly teach you in a university.. And while you're at it, you should think about taking up a new language to improve further opportunities..

My mate left college went straight into a call centre ($18.5k UK a year) and has now (after 2 years) been offered a position in a foreign country that deals with DHL, with schools provided to learn a new language..

I only advise this if you're a person looking to travel or experience new places.. If your heart is set on staying in England and being close to family by all means go to uni.

I'm not doing Sports Management. Let's just say it's not incredibly advanced.

I certainly wish to travel the world at some point, but Uni is first on the cards.

I'm not doing Sports Management. Let's just say it's not incredibly advanced.

I certainly wish to travel the world at some point, but Uni is first on the cards.

But why go to uni? If you intend to travel afterwards it's probably the worst thing you can do.. As you'll learn new stuff on your travels and you'll end up regretting going to uni..

From first hand experience of 4 years of travelling (I've lived in Aus, NZ, Canada and now Mexico) as well as visiting countless countries inbetween 95% of the people I meet are on their gap years (ie. after uni) and the majority I meet (I'm talking 90%) do not wish to look for a job in their 'field' when they return home.. So many either want to stay aborad or go back and do something completely different..

You should only go to uni if you are 100% sure you will follow through with that subject afterwards.. Otherwise it's a huge waste of time and money.. The amount of people I know that have come out of uni, haven't found work in their field, have debts of 20k plus and end up working at Matalan or a Bar Job to scrape together a few pennies is countless.. All for what? A second in a meaningless course and a few blurred nights in Sheffield..

Disagree Bris.

I went to Uni, studied Maths.

Ended up working in Air traffic. Didnt need a degree for what I was doing but the Uni experience set me up to be prepared for the training involved. Self led learning not being spoon fed.

My job is now redundant so I found myself needing to find something else to do. It didn't cone as a surprise to me and I volunteered to go early because I had the bug to teach. As lick would have it the 3 years spent at Uni means I only have to do a 1 year PGCE.

So Uni is useful even if you don't intend to use your degree 100%.

I'm gonna be studying Film and Television Production. (Not a proper subject, pointless, yeh all that)

My dream job would be anything involved within this field, probably putting the degree, work experience and life experience to some good use.

Archived