Is it true?

WorksopRam

I reckon sports management.. Don't do it mate!

Seriously you'll come out with a first or a second and the first thing anyone will ask for is 'experience' in which you won't have any.. The best job you can hope for is a manager of a Leisure Centre or something like that.. I got offered an assistants job ($40k a year AUS) in Australia after a month of swimteaching.. It was that simple..

You'd be better off travelling whilst your young.. You'll learn 10x more from life experience than what anyone can possibly teach you in a university.. And while you're at it, you should think about taking up a new language to improve further opportunities..

My mate left college went straight into a call centre ($18.5k UK a year) and has now (after 2 years) been offered a position in a foreign country that deals with DHL, with schools provided to learn a new language..

I only advise this if you're a person looking to travel or experience new places.. If your heart is set on staying in England and being close to family by all means go to uni.

As much as I respect your opinion Bris, you're not considering that people come from different walks of life. I've met people who have got a degree AND travelled to pretty every corner of the earth before they even turned 21 and they're still stuck in terms of finding a job and still don't even know what they want to do. On the other hand I know people who have spent three years alongside me at Uni, partying as hard as I did and doing a softer degree who have just walked into jobs as recruitment consultants that offer pretty competitive starting salaries.

You probably got that job as an assistant because you were confident in the journey you were taking. And that's all it takes.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply
sociology isn't the same as sports management and can be quite advanced depending on what you do, i am planning to do sociology undergraduate then post graduate and it isn't a waste of time.

i did sociology pt when still nursing, what do you want to do with it after??

go on to post graduate study and complete a masters then go into lecturing eventually.

Try and get a placement at a school/University to see if you like it and the experience will look golden on any application whether it be for BA/MA or PGCE.

good career, I'm planning on continuing to a master once my PGCE is out of the way. 33 and going back to Uni I still cant believe I'm doing it:D

tell you what Dav it's an eye opener seeing all the youngster larging it up on the piss most nights!!!

i was a fresh as a daisy 18yr old when i first went then in my ahemmm late 20's (shh) last time!!!

good career, I'm planning on continuing to a master once my PGCE is out of the way. 33 and going back to Uni I still cant believe I'm doing it:D

my mum was 30 odd as well when she went to uni, it is great that you can do it, good luck with that and thanks i hope it is a good career, hope i make it.

Cos the way telly is going it'll be wall to wall sh1te reality TV which don't need much production. Just a couple of trained chimps to point the cameras.

The monkeys will need training videos. That will require directors, producers, actors, writers, technical people etc so there might be some jobs left.

Is it true that, after leaving University, your debts are cleared if you then move out of the country and live abroad for three/five/however many years?

I know the 25 year clause, where it's wiped off if it takes you that long, but I've only really heard of the moving abroad one from a few people.

Can any of you clever forum folk confirm this?

Merci beaucoup.

Quite simply, no.

I went to University 1998~2001 and have been living in Asia since then. I have to pay back student loans the same as anyone else.

Archived