Has Tom Glick outplayed the whole of the Championship?? If so Brilliant.

RotherhamRam

The point is, clubs have to start planning for it now. Any player being given a 3 year contract now will be affected by this. How many Championship clubs will have a higher wage bill this coming year than last year

Answer - Probably no-on except the newly promoted clubs and perhaps DCFC.

It's called delayed gratification

That's a phrase my wife uses on me quite often when she has another "headache".

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The point is, clubs have to start planning for it now. Any player being given a 3 year contract now will be affected by this. How many Championship clubs will have a higher wage bill this coming year than last year

Answer - Probably no-on except the newly promoted clubs and perhaps DCFC.

It's called delayed gratification

I thought delayed gratification was something that happened in the bedroom?

I don't want to sit around for another 3 years before we can compete. Tis a results game afterall.

Yeah, cos that worked a treat last time.

So we don't want to go up?

You lot are unreal. We have no debts this time around. If we go up i'm sure we could afford quality players with the increased revenue we would get and stay inside the rules?

We would surely get more income than Blackburn, Fulham, Bolton, Wigan etc

Of course we want to go up, but only when we are in a position to stay there. Plus, its not worth just throwing money to gamble to go up - everything had to be right from the finances to the squad

There is no real value in going up and coming straight back down. Going up ill prepared can do a lot more harm than good. Hopefully we will be in a position over the coming season(s) where we have a strong financial footing for the club as well as a squad that is in a place to compete and stay there if we are promoted.

All this is is trying to look at the whole scenario a little less emotionally more 3 dimensionally than saying "we want Premier League" - I do, but only if and when the club is setup to make the most of it

Must admit this thread has made me laugh! Who'd have thought tom glick is the saviour! A god!

Not only do you guys have to wait another four years or so (because these changes wont happen overnight and will take a few seasons to come in, europes dont come into force until 2014 i think) but you will also have to hope that all the other clubs dont plan in advance when this rule finally gets passed because like i say if it gets passed all other clubs will have a good 2 years at least to sort it out. If they dont plan in advance then bang your in business, lol.

If ive got this right; if this rule doesnt get passed, does mr glick go from saviour to complete and utter buffoon?!

There is no real value in going up and coming straight back down. Going up ill prepared can do a lot more harm than good. Hopefully we will be in a position over the coming season(s) where we have a strong financial footing for the club as well as a squad that is in a place to compete and stay there if we are promoted.

The money has increased so much since we went up, I think I heard about 37 million in TV revenue alone, how can this not benefit us ? The gap between the prem and the championship is growing bigger every year, and this is not a bubble that will burst, whilst there is demand the money will continue to flow from sky, 3.3 billion I think was the figure I heard for the TV rights.

As for Glick, he is a very good marketing person, for me thats it, and IMO his cost cutting ( that could have been done by any good CEO could have cost us our place in the championship last year), I have yet to see what he has brought to this club from a footballing side.

Nice man though so it ok :)

Must admit this thread has made me laugh! Who'd have thought tom glick is the saviour! A god!

Not only do you guys have to wait another four years or so (because these changes wont happen overnight and will take a few seasons to come in, europes dont come into force until 2014 i think) but you will also have to hope that all the other clubs dont plan in advance when this rule finally gets passed because like i say if it gets passed all other clubs will have a good 2 years at least to sort it out. If they dont plan in advance then bang your in business, lol.

If ive got this right; if this rule doesnt get passed, does mr glick go from saviour to complete and utter buffoon?!

Yes why not :)

Of course we want to go up, but only when we are in a position to stay there. Plus, its not worth just throwing money to gamble to go up - everything had to be right from the finances to the squad

All this is is trying to look at the whole scenario a little less emotionally more 3 dimensionally than saying "we want Premier League" - I do, but only if and when the club is setup to make the most of it

but when is it right to go up? i am sorry but if you have a chance of promotion you grab it with both arms, there is no way to measure when it is right to go up, some clubs have romped the championship but when it came to staying in the prem they couldn't manage it, some scraped up and did a damn fine job in the premier league so in my opinion you should take promotion wherever you can find it and if we are still in the championship in 2014 that won't be good news.

Erm.....we are already two years ahead of anybody else in the preparations for this, so i think we have a good head start on everyone else. Even if other clubs started cutting costs and getting their wage structures in order now they will be behind us becasue our wage structure is already sorted and in order.

As clubs start shedding or cutting wages of their high earning payers in preparation for these rules it is actually likely that we will be able to offer higher wages than other clubs because our turnover is already higher and our wage bill is low.

Why does the cap have to be based on turnover?

The rich clubs get better and the poor get worse - meaning the smaller clubs will constantly have to cut wages. Seems like a recipe for some pretty uncompetitive leagues in a few years. The richer you are, the more successful you will get and there will be no way for any other club to break the cycle. Also it will make the gap between division huge.

Much better to have a cash cap - say £10m. That way each club that can afford that will be on a par with the others. The smaller ones will be prime targets for investers who will know that a modest amount of moeny pumped in will produce a side to compete with the best in the division.

I wouldnt say there is a right time to go up, but there is a wrong one!

Of course we'd take promotion, you'd be mad not to as were in good shape now, but I guess my point is that promotion just shouldnt be considered as the sole objective or chased blindly

i am sorry but surely to compete in the championship an objective should be to get promotion, only for a couple of teams it would be to stay up but everyone else wants promotion, actually in my opinion we aren't in good shape at the moment but i would still take promotion right now. One can make the squad better in the off season and make improvements there but the objective to be chased should be promotion because football is all about being the best and beating the best and if your not you have to ask why.

Why does the cap have to be based on turnover?

The rich clubs get better and the poor get worse - meaning the smaller clubs will constantly have to cut wages. Seems like a recipe for some pretty uncompetitive leagues in a few years. The richer you are, the more successful you will get and there will be no way for any other club to break the cycle. Also it will make the gap between division huge.

Much better to have a cash cap - say £10m. That way each club that can afford that will be on a par with the others. The smaller ones will be prime targets for investers who will know that a modest amount of moeny pumped in will produce a side to compete with the best in the division.

And if the club dont compete or the investor gets bored and jumps ship, where does that then leave the smaller club, with a wage bill that they cant sustain, hence the reason why it is based upon turnover.

Erm.....we are already two years ahead of anybody else in the preparations for this, so i think we have a good head start on everyone else. Even if other clubs started cutting costs and getting their wage structures in order now they will be behind us becasue our wage structure is already sorted and in order.

As clubs start shedding or cutting wages of their high earning payers in preparation for these rules it is actually likely that we will be able to offer higher wages than other clubs because our turnover is already higher and our wage bill is low.

Oh right, well done to derby then! Guess ill just have to set my sights lower then and instead of aiming for a low wage bill, ill aim for the prem ;)

Archived