British Fans

Anag Ram

I was in London yesterday and I must say that the Barcelona fans created a tremedous atmosphere. They danced, they sang and they smiled all in celebration of their superb football team. Most of them were or had been drinking.

Just down the road we came across a large contingent of Man U fans. They were also drinking. they swore loudly, sang abusive and aggressive songs and generally created an atmosphere of hostility.

i just wonder whether the behaviour of our fans directly influences the way our teams play? When you look at the joy with which Barcelona play and compare that with the physical, big boot game our teams play I wonder whether it's not time to bring the fun back into football grounds and to remember we are there for entertainment, not war.

What say you?

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I was in London yesterday and I must say that the Barcelona fans created a tremedous atmosphere. They danced, they sang and they smiled all in celebration of their superb football team. Most of them were or had been drinking.

Just down the road we came across a large contingent of Man U fans. They were also drinking. they swore loudly, sang abusive and aggressive songs and generally created an atmosphere of hostility.

i just wonder whether the behaviour of our fans directly influences the way our teams play? When you look at the joy with which Barcelona play and compare that with the physical, big boot game our teams play I wonder whether it's not time to bring the fun back into football grounds and to remember we are there for entertainment, not war.

What say you?

I say you are reading far too much into it.

well not supriseing really as they have quite a histroy bewteen two teams, and no suprise to me that more bitter rivals than there local noubiours a lot of thans think of war when clash with rivals, but when we play the scum i am always ready for battle and fight for our club but does not mean i fight with other supports because i do not do that not worth trouble it would cause.

Riot police had to fire tear gas into crowds of fans on Saturday night who were being drunk and disorderly in a city centre street. That city was Barcelona . What say you?

I think the riots are more in response to the 40% unemployment rate and an uneasy relationship with the police than winning the Champions League.

My point still remains that british fans often prepare for war not entertainment. The players react to hearing their names and that of the team. They thrive on applause, not threats or abuse aimed at the opposition.

I would agree that the players would prefer 'us' to sing about Derby than taunt the opposition, however this banter is part of our football culture.

Personally I think we get the balance wrong at Derby.

I would agree that the players would prefer 'us' to sing about Derby than taunt the opposition, however this banter is part of our football culture.

Personally I think we get the balance wrong at Derby.

Agreed. The more fans concentrate on singing in praise of Derby, the more the quiet section is likely to join in.

Archived