The Cox years

Saunders89

Another vote for Cox's team. I think Deano is the best striker I have seen play for the Rams. I was a bit young to fully appreciate that team. Smith's promotion team had a great blend and real leaders like Stimac and Van der laan. Never fell in love with Billy's team and to be honest never liked him as a person.

Out of the current crop of players Brayford is the only one I would put in those two teams from Arthur and Jim.

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Who was it that played RB under Cox? Was it Forsyth? Big shoes for Brayford to fill if that's the case.

Whilst trying to find out - I discovered that Big Rob Hindmarch died back in 2002 of motor neuron disease. Gutted. :(

It was Mel Sage at right back....and you are right, Brayford is not a patch on him.

Big Rob...a REAL leader..

Out of interest Uttox (or anyone else who was around for both) who do you think would have won a triple crown tournament...

Cox's championship winning team

Smiths promotion team

Billy's play off team

I am going for Sir Arthur's team, just because Bobby, Gee and Gregory were all unplayable.[/quote

Cox's team for me - it had the heart and a fire in its belly I have not seen since. Smith's promotion side may have been technically better but wouldn't have stood a chance and Bill's team by comparison to both was pretty rubbish really.

Cox's side vs Billy's side;

Steve Howard vs Mark Wright

Dean Saunders vs Darren Moore

To be fair, Arthur's side most likely would have murdered Billy's.

Wrighty was a class above the Stevie Howard's of the world, Deano would of ripped Mooro to pieces with his blistering pace

Still have massive respect for Stevie and Mooro though.

Agree - but when you look at it, Wright and Saunders in their prime, ripping people apart at opposite ends of the pitch in the top flight vs Stevie H and Big Dave at the wrong end of their careers and looking good in the Championship.

No doubt in my mind, Deano would have destroyed Big Dave for pace, and Wrighty would have had Steve in his pocket.

Similar comparisons could be made all over the pitch with Cox's side clear winners in all departments. Hebberd, Georgie Williams, Forsyth, Micklewhite, Gee, Shilton, Hindmarch, Goddard, McMinn, Sage. What.A.Side!

Agree - but when you look at it, Wright and Saunders in their prime, ripping people apart at opposite ends of the pitch in the top flight vs Stevie H and Big Dave at the wrong end of their careers and looking good in the Championship.

No doubt in my mind, Deano would have destroyed Big Dave for pace, and Wrighty would have had Steve in his pocket.

Similar comparisons could be made all over the pitch with Cox's side clear winners in all departments. Hebberd, Georgie Williams, Forsyth, Micklewhite, Gee, Shilton, Hindmarch, Goddard, McMinn, Sage. What.A.Side!

To be fair my grand mother would give Big Dave a run for his money when it came to pace...

Arthurs players.....

1. Steele, Wallington, Shilton, Sutton

2. Palmer, Sage, Patterson, Goulooze, Charles

2 Buckley, Forsyth, Nicholson

4. Lewis, Williams, Pembridge, Kuhl

5 Hindmarch, Wright, Coleman, Short

6 Streete, McLaren, Blades, Comyn, Wassell

7 Taylor, Micklewhite, McMinn, Harkes

8 Wilson, Davison, Gee, Chiedozie, Saunders, Gaddiadini, Johnson

9 Biggins, Garner, Christie, Lillis, Goddard, Harford, Francis, Ormondroyd, Kitson

10 Richardson, McClaren, Gregory,Ramage

11 Chandler, Callaghan, Simpson

....and a few others no doubt.

Cox had Robertson for the first season at 11 as well and Burridge in goals at some point before he went to a bigger club higher up the league in Sheff Utd - oh how we laughed as we stolled past them on the way to the top and on their way to the Third Div

First time I've read a bit of this thread as Cox wasn't neccesrailly of that great interest to me, but he was a very good Manager.

I also wrote to him back in the 80's and I was amazed I used to get replies! He used to write back saying he worked 16 hours a day for DCFC and that he was doing all he good to make us great etc. He was a very good Manager and totally dedicated to us beyond any shadow of a doubt!

I can remember going to Anfield in the first season in Div 1 under Cox. We lost 4-0 but kept the Kop quiet, it is still a vivid memory I was 11yrs old.

We highjacked their song chanted to them "You'll Never Work Again, Sign On Sign On" then we chanted "4-0 4-0". We sang from the moment we went into the ground until about 30 mins after the game as the rule then was to keep away fans in ground until the home fans had left. The best memory was the Old Sergeant Copper wearing the old black drench coat with a massive night stick looking like a sergeant major. We started shouting "You Fat B*stard, You Fat B*stard". His reaction was to laugh and use hisnight stick like a conducter. That for me was the best night away game I have been to watching the like of Barnes and Co.

Brilliant

...or newport away

game abandoned !!

'we're singing in the rain, we're singing in the rain, what a glorious feeling, we're happy again'

Arthurs players.....

1. Steele, Wallington, Shilton, Sutton

2. Palmer, Sage, Patterson, Goulooze, Charles

2 Buckley, Forsyth, Nicholson

4. Lewis, Williams, Pembridge, Kuhl

5 Hindmarch, Wright, Coleman, Short

6 Streete, McLaren, Blades, Comyn, Wassell

7 Taylor, Micklewhite, McMinn, Harkes

8 Wilson, Davison, Gee, Chiedozie, Saunders, Gaddiadini, Johnson

9 Biggins, Garner, Christie, Lillis, Goddard, Harford, Francis, Ormondroyd, Kitson

10 Richardson, McClaren, Gregory,Ramage

11 Chandler, Callaghan, Simpson

....and a few others no doubt.

Paul Hooks, Jossy!

Archived