Clough on Bueno

Briggsy

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I love bueno but he was terrible saturday and when he lost the ball he didnt chase back for it! People that say clough hasnt got a clue about football he played for some big clubs and england! What have you people done? Hes done his apprenticeship at burton and has his hands tied! You people expect miracles!!!

Unfortunately he does treat players almost like his dad did but with modern footballers there all brats!

he played for some big clubs and england! What have you people done?

So you'd be happy with Brian Robson, Paul Merson, Ian Wright, Gazza, Shilton, etc because they played for big clubs and England. So they must be good managers and know what they're doing.

I'm not saying you're wrong re Nigel's ability but his playing history doesn't make him a good manager and just because we never played at any level doesn't mean that we don't know what we're talking about. The "they're a manager and you're not" argument means that we should never ever sack a manager.

So you'd be happy with Brian Robson, Paul Merson, Ian Wright, Gazza, Shilton, etc because they played for big clubs and England. So they must be good managers and know what they're doing.

I'm not saying you're wrong re Nigel's ability but his playing history doesn't make him a good manager and just because we never played at any level doesn't mean that we don't know what we're talking about. The "they're a manager and you're not" argument means that we should never ever sack a manager.

Gazza would be worth it just for the mad laugh.

When Leacock has actually played at centre half our results have always have seemed to have improved. I dont know if thats just luck though.

You need to check your stats I think last yr Radio Derby quoted that the best centre half pairing was Barker and Anderson, Then Barker Buxton, Then Anderson Buxton no mention of Leacock

A good motivational manager obviously helps.. Billy Davies brought the best out of him, like he did with alot of our average players.

He is that motivational that they were sitting comfortable in third (similar to our run:rolleyes:) then started his usual crap I need better players, they've done well but they are inexperienced blah de blah. Then looks what happen not won in 10 games and I think 4 defeats on the bounce, back out of playoffs and 6 pts adrift. They have players who should be in the top 6 may my tongue go black but he is that truly inspirational he has had one promotion in all of his time at PNE and us. The one season he got up he spent millions on drival brilliant

I love bueno but he was terrible saturday and when he lost the ball he didnt chase back for it! People that say clough hasnt got a clue about football he played for some big clubs and england! What have you people done? Hes done his apprenticeship at burton and has his hands tied! You people expect miracles!!!

Unfortunately he does treat players almost like his dad did but with modern footballers there all brats!

Hear Hear. He was shocking and I was getting more and more frustrated. When you had Ward covering RB, outjumping his marker and defender (he is one of the smallest players on the pitch), running up and down the pitch continually. Then you had Bueno jogging towards a ball it had to go to his feet, they blew on him and he was off the ball, could not take a tackle and could not pass more than 4ft. He had to come off, and what Clough has said was honest and not berating him, he just said if he wanted to stop on he had to play better. True statement but yet Clough bashers who have to have the littlest eccuse to have a pop jump on it. For once assess the player, assess the decision then assess the comment and see then. He did not call him names (which some don't like), he did not blame him for losing drawing or the games, it was a simple answer to a simple question. The player through the pram out out never mind the dummy.

Also if Clough had lost the changing room don't you think after going 2-0 down we would have got completely hammered not produce the first fightback of the season. This was the first game all season where we had come from being 2 behind.

Get real Clough bashers, don't mind debate and opinion before some say this is a forum for debate. It is the same stuff spouted that you spouted the last time and the time before.......

I have to agree with this. The comment doesn't seem bad. He's not insulted the player, called him names, said he can go back to where he came from, etc. He just said that if he was upset about coming off then he should have played better. Simple really. If anything I wish he'd said the same about Savage when he spat his dummy out when subbed against forest.

Just as I think some would have condemned the Cwyka comments if it was a manager they didn't like, I think some wouldn't have blinked an eyelid at these comments if they didn't think Nigel should go. Spending on which side of the fence you are it obscures your perspective of things.

What Clough said about Bueno was right; he was poor. Problem is, if that was Clough's benchmark he should have taken off nine others as well!!

As for his comments about Leacock, I can only assume they were intended to boost his confidence before he gets played at RB again against Leeds. He was so woeful against Coventry he had to get Jamie Ward to stand next to him for much of the time second half, doing his job. And he looked like he couldn't wait to get off the pitch, hobbling around for ages and looking at the bench.

Brayford was poor at LB as well, as he was the last time he played there, so let's hope Clough's learned his lesson before tomorrow night. Doubt it though.

"I don't know what his problem was. If you don't want to be brought off, play well, it's very simple," said Clough.

I thought Bueno played well in the first half, him and Ward looked like the only ones who wanted the ball and to actually win.

I don't really think this is the way to address a problem with a player either. Ask him what's wrong, this is Cloughs problem.

Personally I thought Bueno had a shocker. He did nothing at all for me and should have been removed earlier. All opinions I know. :D

Hold on hold on hold on....

Let's put what Clough said into context first:

Another of the Rams' loan strikers, Theo Robinson, was praised by Clough.

Robinson came on for Spaniard Alberto Bueno after an hour of the Coventry game.

"Alberto looked a bit tired, a bit sluggish, and not quite as sharp as he normally is," said Clough.

"We needed a bit of pace just to stretch Coventry a little and I thought Theo did well when he came on.

"That is what we need him for there, to stretch the game.

"Coventry's full-backs got forward knowing there was nobody going to run in behind them. Then, all of a sudden Theo comes on and is a threat with his pace."

Bueno did not look happy when substituted and he ran straight down the tunnel.

"I don't know what his problem was. If you don't want to be brought off, play well, it's very simple," said Clough.

Clough's comments are regarding Bueno's reaction, and they're fair enough.

Let's put what Clough said into context first:

Clough's comments are regarding Bueno's reaction, and they're fair enough.

Well that sounds perfectly reasonable to me too. I like the fact he's delivered the message like this is anything.

At (arguably) the most important match of our run-in, if you have looked 'off the pace' and weren't making an impact, then expect the prospect of being substituted. To run straight down the tunnel is a sign of disrespect and if you care for the team then sit down with fellow players and watch the game out.

I do, However, Hope that Clough hasn't taken this action out of context and/or there isn't an underlying issue. All speculation, of course, but I still am yet to see the incident.

Well that sounds perfectly reasonable to me too. I like the fact he's delivered the message like this is anything.

At (arguably) the most important match of our run-in, if you have looked 'off the pace' and weren't making an impact, then expect the prospect of being substituted. To run straight down the tunnel is a sign of disrespect and if you care for the team then sit down with fellow players and watch the game out.

I do, However, Hope that Clough hasn't taken this action out of context and/or there isn't an underlying issue. All speculation, of course, but I still am yet to see the incident.

There wasn't an incident. Bueno was poor, he got subbed, ran straight down the tunnel. The end. Maybe he just needed a pee. This whole 'debate' is about absolutely nothing.

I think it's as clear an indication as you can ask for that Clough has lost the dressing room and hasn't got a clue how football should be played or how to manage players.

The only reason I can think of for taking him off is because Clough wanted to upset Bueno deliberately.

As for the other DET article where he says they've had problems 'to say the least' with Leacock. Well, doesn't that just underline it all?

I mean, just because Leacock's an arrogant @rse who serially mucks up by missing challenges, losing the attacker and falling out of position, it doesn't give the manager any excuse to in any way criticise him.

Clough out! :rolleyes:

And how is that so? From what I can see it's a player who knew he had a bad game, and was annoyed at how he played and felt he could continue and try up his level of performance. Nothing wrong with that.

And how is that so? From what I can see it's a player who knew he had a bad game, and was annoyed at how he played and felt he could continue and try up his level of performance. Nothing wrong with that.

Pete is being sarcastic mate.. He must have typed near enough the same post over and over again (I'm talking well into the 100s here) to get his point across and now I guess he fancies a change.. Still with the same point though..

Clough is a good manager in Petes eyes.. Championship standard. 3 Lower season finishes plus a run of 3 wins in about 23 still won't change that.

Hopefully Clough is given at least $4mil to spend next season. Then I'll be in a win-win situation. Either Derby will be top 10 and I'll be delighted, and I'll concede given money Clough can be a decent manager.

Or we'll have roughly the same season as this one and I'll be right in saying that Clough isn't a very good manager and there are many managers out there (available) who can do a better job.

Archived