Corners

sage

It was disgusting to see Rooney running the ball towards the corner for Man Utd tonight and Ray Wilkins commentating actually saying 'well done, the opposition can't score from there'

Typical Non-league Alex and his negative tactics.

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply
It was disgusting to see Rooney running the ball towards the corner for Man Utd tonight and Ray Wilkins commentating actually saying 'well done, the opposition can't score from there'

There's a bit of a difference in running the ball into the corner to KEEP POSESSSION at the end, and hoofing it into the corners for half the game.

There's a bit of a difference in running the ball into the corner to KEEP POSESSSION at the end, and hoofing it into the corners for half the game.

He ran it towards the corner and gave away a throw to them. Same difference. I will concede we start this tactic a little earlier than United did.

The same ray Wilkins that said "Paul scholes is a master class at playing the defensive mid role" but still doesn't know how to tackle after 20 years of football? For the record scholes is a fantastic player and 1 of my favourite non-Derby players.

There is a difference, as has been said, between keeping the ball in the corner and hooking it into the corner from your own half.

1) you have possession, the longer you keep it before losing it (and you will lose it) the more time is eaten up. Also this gives the team time to get into position, the rest of the team aren't pinned back in their own half and can pressure to ball when it is thrown back in.

2) you hook if from your own half, the team is still in it's own half and you waste minimum time and the ball comes straight back. None of the team are up with the play so therefore there is nothing to stop the balk coming straight back.

Sorry but I think you're wrong. If you have time on the ball then yes you can pass it or run it towards the corner. The whole Cywka/Doyle debate has been about when you don't have time on the ball.

Secondly if you kick the ball 50-60 yards into the corner for a defensive throw-in near the oppositions byline, it doesn't come straight back.

Both sets of teams move 50 yards away from our goal and you press the opposition in their half reducing them to a hoof towards the halfway line.

The process of both teams moving 50 yards in one direction then the process of the opposition working the ball from there to a potential goalscoring position, wastes loads of time.

Sorry but I think you're wrong. If you have time on the ball then yes you can pass it or run it towards the corner. The whole Cywka/Doyle debate has been about when you don't have time on the ball.

Secondly if you kick the ball 50-60 yards into the corner for a defensive throw-in near the oppositions byline, it doesn't come straight back.

Both sets of teams move 50 yards away from our goal and you press the opposition in their half reducing them to a hoof towards the halfway line.

The process of both teams moving 50 yards in one direction then the process of the opposition working the ball from there to a potential goalscoring position, wastes loads of time.

Show me one example of us putting it into the corner and not staying camped in our own half still.

Show me one example of us putting it into the corner and not staying camped in our own half still.

The last game. How many attempts on goal did they have in the last 15 minutes....one.

It wasn't exactly backs to the wall stuff.

And we weren't exactly hooking it into the corners. The few occasions that the likes of Ayala and Barker did pump it forward it did come straight back. A few times, actually probably just the once from Doyle, it lead to something. The rest of the time we weren't hooking it out of play and holding on. To me it was more of an example that the old way didn't work, compare that to how we were against Burnley and tell me the difference. The entire game against Swansea we pressured the player in possession of the ball, this meant we didn't end up pinned back into our own half, it wasn't anything to do with hooking it into corners.

On two occasions Doyle hit a long clearance into the corner and we pressed them in their half. In previous games, Cywka lost possession and we conceded, Davies did the same and against QPR Brayford hit a 50 yard clearance straight down the middle, they countered and scored in the last minute.

If on those 3 occasions, if when under pressure we had kicked it into the corner, we wouldn't have conceded.

On two occasions Doyle hit a long clearance into the corner and we pressed them in their half. In previous games, Cywka lost possession and we conceded, Davies did the same and against QPR Brayford hit a 50 yard clearance straight down the middle, they countered and scored in the last minute.

If on those 3 occasions, if when under pressure we had kicked it into the corner, we wouldn't have conceded.

You can't say that. You have no idea what would have happened. Did we win 1-0 because we hit it into corners against Burnley? They cab still come back and score.

It comes down to your feelings on the game. Football for me is a possession game, you're in possession and they can't score (unless your name is Williams). Rugby is a territorial game not football. For me you keep the ball you don't wilfully give it away.

We could go on for hours or we could just agree to disagree?

I think we will have to agree to disagree. However, i think the QPR game was an example of where we definitely wouldn't have conceded as they scored with vistually the last kick of the game.

I do agree with you that football is more of a possession game over territory than say Rugby, however you have to have the ablilty to keep possession.

NC's point and mine isn't about that as such, it's about when to keep possession and when to get rid, and i will agree we have done too much hoofing in our bad spell. The biggest point he is making iswhere to get rid to. The difference in time between the ball arriving in our penalty area from their keppers hands and a throw in near their corner flag is substantial and the probability of of it arriving in our area is increased.

Sorry for continuing on after saying we would have to agree to disagree. i promise not to reply if you want to make a closing point.

You can't say that. You have no idea what would have happened. Did we win 1-0 because we hit it into corners against Burnley? They cab still come back and score.

It comes down to your feelings on the game. Football for me is a possession game, you're in possession and they can't score (unless your name is Williams). Rugby is a territorial game not football. For me you keep the ball you don't wilfully give it away.

We could go on for hours or we could just agree to disagree?

Still comes down to the style you play whether it is Rugby or Football. In Rugby you can kick for touch deep in the opposition half and work hard to win the ball back from their line-out (the England Team of the late eighties) or you can play possesion rugby whether it be expansive (such as England sides of the new millenium) or using tight possession with rolling mauls and then breaking away to the wingers for a try (All Blacks of the eighties and nineties).

Tactics are tactics and they are only successful if you play well and everyone knows their role regardless of what the game is.

Now would you like to list all the occasions when we had possesion and didn't give a goal away?

Archived