Book v Film

davenportram

The only book and film I have read/watched is I'am Legend and I thought the book was much better.

I've got The Green Mile but haven't got round to reading it yet. I prefer to read over watching a film.

I've got that. The Richard Matheson one?

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

In 99% of cases, the book is better than the film.

The film is an industry and films are rushed to quickly fulfil the market. They're the easiest money maker because the audience/market/demographic and promotion has already been figured and performed by the sales of the novel.

They seem to be making every bestseller into a film ultimately, especially with the kids' books. Harry Potter, Twilight, Northern Lights etc. All rushed and not given half the effort it deserves. It's a shame really. Films also ruin the natural imagination we build of the characters, which is one of the pleasures of reading the book.

Really good points made there Joe, the best example of this for me is Watchmen graphic novel one of the best things i have ever read the film was complete and utter garbage!!!

The film did ok but wtf did they change the ending? :frown:

If they had kept the ending how it was, kept in the stuff with the newsvender and hired a few better actors it would have been perfect.

The film did ok but wtf did they change the ending? :frown:

If they had kept the ending how it was, kept in the stuff with the newsvender and hired a few better actors it would have been perfect.

The actually characters were fine and the actors who played then were fine!!! The ending like you say is complete and utter garbage, when you have such a complex and detailed story to tell do you really need a 15 min sex scene??!!??!!

Although she is pretty hot dont get me wrong :redface:

At the risk of sounding like I'm about 12, I love all the Harry Potter books. Though the films are good, the books are far better.

On a different note, A Woman Of Substance is an excellent read, in fact I've read it that often it's loosing a few pages - with the DVD being almost as good.

The actually characters were fine and the actors who played then were fine!!! The ending like you say is complete and utter garbage, when you have such a complex and detailed story to tell do you really need a 15 min sex scene??!!??!!

Although she is pretty hot dont get me wrong :redface:

Let's be frank though, the ending of the book is all together pretty daft. Imagine it in a film?

"Let's introduce a 20 foot octopus-type beasty that's death triggers a pychic backlash that kills an entire cities worth of people" - Just can't see it working in a film, it's too farfetched (it wasn't even that effective in the comic).

Watchmen is a character driven story - they provide all the depth in the comic. The story itself is quite basic, just a bog standard murder mystery. Changing the 'city death trigger' made no difference imo.

I would go into more detail but I have a massive hangover and am struggling to write coherently.

Let's be frank though, the ending of the book is all together pretty daft. Imagine it in a film?

"Let's introduce a 20 foot octopus-type beasty that's death triggers a pychic backlash that kills an entire cities worth of people" - Just can't see it working in a film, it's too farfetched (it wasn't even that effective in the comic).

Watchmen is a character driven story - they provide all the depth in the comic. The story itself is quite basic, just a bog standard murder mystery. Changing the 'city death trigger' made no difference imo.

I would go into more detail but I have a massive hangover and am struggling to write coherently.

I dont do many mega long post's due to my grammer and spelling not being the best! So will make this brief although suppose could go into great detail! But the gist of the ending in the comic is that planet earth has a much greater threat to them than a nuclear war between America and Russia, this being a alien attack, however in the film Ozymandias puts the blame onto Doctor Manhattan, after reading the comic do you really think Doc Manhattan wouldnt of seen what Ozzy was trying to do???

Oh dear this is very geeky!!!

I dont do many mega long post's due to my grammer and spelling not being the best! So will make this brief although suppose could go into great detail! But the gist of the ending in the comic is that planet earth has a much greater threat to them than a nuclear war between America and Russia, this being a alien attack, however in the film Ozymandias puts the blame onto Doctor Manhattan, after reading the comic do you really think Doc Manhattan wouldnt of seen what Ozzy was trying to do???

Oh dear this is very geeky!!!

Heh heh isn't everyone on this forum a DCFC geek? Everyones geeky about something!

Regarding your comment - I know the reason behind the alien octopus mechanic, but to my mind it came across as a silly idea in the comic and weakest part of the story (it's so implausible that even by comic book standards it's ridiculous!).

Doc Manhattan fulfilled exactly the same role in uniting the earth against a common threat in the film, and by using him they managed to side-step having to introduce the whole silly octopus thing. The film was hard enough to follow for non-comic enthusiasts as it was, so I imagine with the addition of the octopus it would've been borderline unwatcheable for anyone unfamiliar with the comic.

Film is a different medium to comics / books and what barely works in a comic is entirely unlikely to work in a film at all!!

for literary content the book is far superior.for sex scenes though it has to be the film,especially if Jennifer Aniston or sheridan smith were involved.

You really ought to read a Jackie Collins book dangerous - if Dav sees me reading mine, he'll always ask - are you reading your again? I'm sure I don't know what he means...;)

At the risk of sounding like I'm about 12, I love all the Harry Potter books. Though the films are good, the books are far better.

On a different note, A Woman Of Substance is an excellent read, in fact I've read it that often it's loosing a few pages - with the DVD being almost as good.

Boat wrong with Harry Potter. Films are decent some good some bad. The books are unbelievable.a good book gets you hooked but these books take over my life when I read them I get so far into these books.

I read "Into the wild", and then watch the film directed by Sean Penn. I have to say i love both; the book has very interesting parts and the film with a fantastic soundtrack specially by Eddie Vedder.

Watch,en the film is brilliant.

The comics I really enjoyed, but I loved the film. I think they changed enough, but kept within the story to seem believable.

The latest batman movies, are based on some of the best batman novels, well worth a read. I mean they are loosely bAsed, but even better than the comic. If I was more sober, I'd tell you the names but I'm not sorry.

i agree,I saw the play though 20 odd years ago.Matthew Kelly and Leslie Ash were in it,and it was superb,kelly was brilliant as lennie

Is that the guy who was rocky's trainer?

I watched both and the one with John Malcovich in it is ok but boring once you have watched it.

I preferred the novel's ending because a real alien threat would be what unites earth and would throw us a massive bombshell. It also reminds that it is a comic book portraying a parallel world.

Though I can understand the film deciding to change it. The special effects of a giant octopus would look poor and just wouldn't fit into a Snyder directed 2009 film.

Archived