Nigel Clough told his job is safe

Hartley Hare

based on the position of Derby in the table,based on performances,based on us not winning a home game for ages,based on players playing out of position,based on stupid substitutions,based on the sale of moxey,based on slagging players in public,based on an incompetant coaching staff.

is that enough for you?

Not really no. The performances are incompetent because as a set of players, the team is fairly incompetent. We are not punching above our weight, and with the money available, we couldn't afford to get a manager that could do a better job.

What makes the coaching staff incompetent? They are dealing with players low on quality, low on confidence. This is hard for you to accept (or understand) but we can't bring people in to improve this situation.

If you can name someone who you think the board would pay the wages for that would make a difference to the situation we're in, and would make this set of players a good Championship team, please let us all know. I think everyone would like to hear this.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

players low on quality and confidence. The majority bought by clough and managed by clough and his mates.Their responsibility!!

Derby County employed a non league manager over two years ago and we havent improved.Our two best players have gone this year and havent been replaced.He may have limited funds but a good manager will cope with that,Arthur Cox was brilliant with limited funds.

I havent a clue who should take over to be honest,I dont make them decisions ,but if the board have Derbys interests(and their investment) at heart,they should be looking for a replacement.

players low on quality and confidence. The majority bought by clough and managed by clough and his mates.Their responsibility!!

Derby County employed a non league manager over two years ago and we havent improved.Our two best players have gone this year and havent been replaced.He may have limited funds but a good manager will cope with that,Arthur Cox was brilliant with limited funds.

I havent a clue who should take over to be honest,I dont make them decisions ,but if the board have Derbys interests(and their investment) at heart,they should be looking for a replacement.

Pearson

Bywater

Green

Leacock

Steve Davies

Savage

Addison

Players who have played a large part, not signed by Clough. He has signed players but in the same breath has had to sell alot too. He's also had to bring people in on loan in emergency that otherwise I doubt he'd consider - namely Theo Robinson.

Our best players have been sold with no replacements because we have no money. Do you have any awareness of the current financial situation?

He is coping - the team is rubbish! How many times. Where do you think this current set of players should be? In the play offs?

if i continue this debate with you i will no doubt get a rollocking from a mod cause i struggle to hold my temper whilst trying to talk to people who wont listen/cant see whats in front of their faces.

listen,you keep clapping clough and you will no doubt not be bothered when we go down,why not vote ben pringle as your player of the season?

clough is a joke,and not a very funny one. I will chose to slag him off whilst he does a bad job,you keep on clapping.

Pearson

Bywater

Green

Leacock

Steve Davies

Savage

Addison

Players who have played a large part, not signed by Clough. He has signed players but in the same breath has had to sell alot too. He's also had to bring people in on loan in emergency that otherwise I doubt he'd consider - namely Theo Robinson.

Our best players have been sold with no replacements because we have no money. Do you have any awareness of the current financial situation?

He is coping - the team is rubbish! How many times. Where do you think this current set of players should be? In the play offs?

He gave, Green, Bywater, Pearson, Davies new contracts so he clearly thought they were good enough and wanted to keep them

The point about Arthur Cox is a good one.

I can't help but feel that the decision to sell Moxey is going to bite us in the arse in a big way. Already, the loan deal for Hayes was delayed (and is now not going to happen) because we were looking for a left-back on loan, and no-one has arrived. So now one of our best players is out of position at left-back (Brayford), forcing Green to move out of midfield and play out of position at right-back. So these decisions have a knock-on effect throughout the team.

The whole thing just smacks of bad thinking and a lack of forward planning.

On its own, this fact wouldn't be so bad, but I also think that this is a general theme of the last three months. I've tried for so long to be positive and to defend Clough, but I think if we play badly and lose to Barnsley, Nigel simply has to go. Simple as.

if i continue this debate with you i will no doubt get a rollocking from a mod cause i struggle to hold my temper whilst trying to talk to people who wont listen/cant see whats in front of their faces.

listen,you keep clapping clough and you will no doubt not be bothered when we go down,why not vote ben pringle as your player of the season?

clough is a joke,and not a very funny one. I will chose to slag him off whilst he does a bad job,you keep on clapping.

I'm leaving this, due to the ridiculous nature of the argument.

I'm pleased Nigel Clough is staying. I've no reason to think otherwise.

Do you think Nigel wanted to sell Moxey? My feeling is that we are totally pot-less and if any moderate offer comes in we have to take it.

I suppose my answer would be no, we didn't have to sell, after Hulse and Commons going must have balanced the books, in terms of both wages and transfer fees. Of course, I have no idea what our financial situation is.

Clough said that Moxey hadn't progressed as much as he wanted, and maybe that's true. Who knows?

Even so, no replacement has been signed, and that's worrying.

People think Clough has had the same money as other clubs if not more.

Emotions are clouding judgement. I for one do not want to be here. Some of the comments on here make me laugh. The one where Forest has not invested and has the same size squad as us. Two of their strikers transfers equate to all of our signings under Clough if not more.

The squad sizes are the same and same quality was another. How hard is this for a 28yr ram supported to say this is ******** and they have the better players, and more investment, feel myself choking whilst writing this. Until recently I could say we had best fans but opinions are being clouded over the wrong things, look at what is happening and why it has happened.

Name any other manager within the whole of the Championship, who has had to undertake a major overhaul of wages, players, contracts whilst trying to produce on the pitch.

These decisions to sell players on footballng terms, I am thinking of Hulse and Commons. One angle is Clough is told if you want these to stop you have to balance the books and two maybe 3 players will have to go, what a choice. I still say Moxey was sold as we did not have a fully fit recognised striker in club as porter and davies long term injury returns, and Clough wanted Sammon but the board would not pay out right until a player was sold. Moxey was only player where a club was interested hence rushed through and bid for Sammon placed 10mins after deal closed, but we were too late and the deal done.

The board has demanded wage bill to be cut, which results in squad being trimmed. Look at the size of our squad without loans and this is remaining recognised 1st squad players since beginning of season

Bywater, Deeney (both injured)

Brayford, Barker, Leacock (inj Roberts, Buxton and Anderson)

B. Davies, Sav, Addison, Cywka, Pearson, Green, Pringle and Doyle (Bailey injured)

S.Davis and Porter.

This makes recognised 19 Players and 6 injured, Porter and Davis, addison still coming back from fitness, Barker carrying an injury which needs op. Doyle not brought for this yr and Pringle not yet ready to play. Sav retiring, Leacock contract up at end of season along with Porter.

Therefore fully fit first team squad players we have out of 19 players 9 players. At end of season through retirement and end of contracts we will have 16 first team squad players and out of them I would say I would like to see replacements for Bywater and Roberts. Pringle and Doyle still need to progress and quicj before being considered. So before we start new season we are down to around 12 players which could be here and ready to play first team football by end of pre-season.

THIS IS HOW DRASTIC THE CUTS HAVE BEEN.

Clough loves this job, but if he wanted to have a job for life has some are stated. DO YOU NOT THINK HE WOULD HAVE SIGNED A NEW CONTRACT. His contract expires this summer, he stated once all the contracts are signed he would then sign, he then lost Hulse and Commons. He wants 6 and this is a clear statement 6 Championship players. NOT make do player, 6 Championship players. Will the board pay for this NOT A CHANCE. The Clough haters you will more than likely get what you want at end of season. This Board will not sack him as this means paying him compensation. No they will allow him and his family name be dragged through the mud because they are brassick, tight, clueless and just plain business men with the dollar sign meaning more than us fans. True Derby fans have been through tough times over the years none more so. People complained Maxwell would not spend, he spent more on transfer fees then these owners.

I feel sorry for Nigel, mission impossible could not sort this mess out without new board, backing. Nigel sorry you have been royally shafted and the fans can not see this.

Come on this board would not sack a manager, when they know no one would come here.

I look back at Jewell and can see why he upped and left. Struggled at time.

Name a manager two days into transfer window, on brink of Semi-final match with ManUtd after winning quarter-final against Stoke who would leave. Why go, we wouldn't have been relegated that season, so why miss out on chance of going to Wembley if you could nick a win v Man Utd.

He was told there was no money and he needed to do what Clough has had to do as part of his contract. That is why he left, he couldn't hack it. Now if a proven manager like him can not hack it then name someone who would.

I have heard Slade at Yeovil, another lower league manager who has no proven record at this level.

Then there was Hart, he was asked to run tight budget at Portsmouth, Palace and Reading, how long did he last at each club and why was this.

Paul Ince was mentioned another manager only proved at lower league, given chance at a higher league last 4 months then back to lower leagues moving around.

I Know Hart has signed for Swindon who are lower than us but these managers would be no different to Clough. He has identified to the Board the need to spend and they need to acquire the players Clough has stated the 6.

My only question is this: the board say that Clough's job is safe - but surely there must be a point at which his job becomes untenable.

Okay, that's a statement rather than a question, but when do we reach the point at which Clough must be sacked? Many of you think we've already reached that point. How long do we hold on as we continue to slide down the table? Surely something has to give soon.

We've all got opinions about Clough and his decisions. Most of my mates' tend to be like dangerous' (i.e. wrong).

Its my opinion that clough was conned by Glick and the Americans spin. They convinced him that once the books were balanced he would have summat to spend but the reality of relegation and the money wasted by the Jewell splurge and the silly contracts handed out by Billy put the investors off.

Clough was left high and dry in an impossible position. He's made mistakes and been stubborn and awkward but he' s had no NET spend on players no matter how people try to spin that he's wasted money.

I still believe that Clough will build a decent squad given a fair crack of the financial whip.

However I don't believe he will get the chance under the present owners.

Archived