Nigel Clough told his job is safe

Hartley Hare

im really sat on the fence regarding clough, what dangerous has said is factual the record speaks for it self,also what uttoxeter has just stated is what i also what i believe,

but i do think one or the other should leave asap, so my choice would be those damm yanks!

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply
im really sat on the fence regarding clough, what dangerous has said is factual the record speaks for it self,also what uttoxeter has just stated is what i also what i believe,

but i do think one or the other should leave asap, !

I'll walk. Dangerous was here before me............:frown::D

Rotheramram, Clough has got another year on his contract, he signed fir 3 and half years in January 09

http://www.dcfc.co.uk/page/NewsDetail/0,,10270~1510838,00.html

Okay concede the contract dates. However read this link

http://blogs.bettor.com/Nigel-Clough-demands-his-future-at-Derby-County-be-put-second-to-players-a39702

This was a statement when we were 4th. Part of this reads the board will hopefully consolidate and kick on. Yeah right. The comment still stands if he wanted a safe job for life he would have signed. He wanted reassaurances. Commons was still here when this came out. He has no faith in board which is why he is asking for 6 players as he knows he will not get it

My only question is this: the board say that Clough's job is safe - but surely there must be a point at which his job becomes untenable.

Okay, that's a statement rather than a question, but when do we reach the point at which Clough must be sacked? Many of you think we've already reached that point. How long do we hold on as we continue to slide down the table? Surely something has to give soon.

I rather hoped that NC would be given something of an ultimatum for the three games - Sheffield, Donny and Barnsley -5 or 6 points from these probably sees us safe and as others have said the remaining matches this season are against the better sides. Only 3 points potentially still leaves us vulnerable.

The clubs published position now says it doesn't matter where we finish, nothing will change this season. This seems to demonstrate a lack of commitment to the real club, who turn up week in, week out and watch with increasing frustration. GSE are not going to put their hands in their pockets, indeed that was never their intention. Seem to recall NC saying a few months back that things would be really difficult for the remainder of this season. :frown:

but i do think one or the other should leave asap, so my choice would be those damm yanks!

We are in the *****, summat has to give but how its gonna pan out? Who knows!

i might not have seen the rams in the last 4 years ,but i would have to say ive never ever felt like this before, not even in the maxwell days and docherty day have i felt like this,

i get up early to watch what matches i can, i scour the forums ,internet etc everyday for a glimmer of hope, something that will make me feel good about the club,

but every feckin day i get this gut wrenching feeling of depression as nothing has changed and weve yet again lost!

do these owners ACTUALLY know what it means to be a derby fan?

im derby till i die!

There's a lot of guess work going on and statements based on assumptions "do you really think Clough wanted to sell Moxey" - do you have any proof to suggest he didn't because I can quote him saying it was for football reasons, but I guess he was made to say that? Glick was stood off camera with a gun to him "Just say what's written Mr Clough and nobody gets hurt!"

"Jewell left because he was told to cut costs why else would he leave before the semi-final" please show me something on this, his contract that you say it was written into, a quote, a conversation between him and the board, anything to show it's not something you've just made up.

Why put all this, the facts from both sides are good enough to debate as it is. We have a small squad, it is small. I'm not sure how small in comparison to the rest of the championship it might be one of the smallest it might not, I'm sure someone can tell me.

We've spent no money effectively, we've made more money than we've spent. Although this doesn't include paying off peoples contracts.

The 'massive cuts' is a point I'm nit so clear cut on. Yes he got rid of a lot of players off the wage bill but let's be honest he got rid of players who wouldn't be anywhere near the 1st team anyway. It's like if a new manager came in and got rid of Croft, hardly a loss is it. Out of all those players that went people only ever mention Commons and Hulse, so remind me how well we did last season with those two. In fact remind me how often Porter was preferred to Hulse?

Also all of these are valid arguments and nobody is denying them. But the counter argument is that despite all this his managerial reign consists of formations that don't suit the players, players out of position, negative tactics ("keep it 0-0 and hopefully nick a goal"), publicly slating players and fans, an apparent lack of depth in scouting (only one player not from UK and how many players have we signed that haves either played against us or under Nigel?).

I can't ignore the above just because he's had little money and I'm not going to make stuff up to help convince myself he's the right man.

Come on this board would not sack a manager, when they know no one would come here.

I look back at Jewell and can see why he upped and left. Struggled at time.

Name a manager two days into transfer window, on brink of Semi-final match with ManUtd after winning quarter-final against Stoke who would leave. Why go, we wouldn't have been relegated that season, so why miss out on chance of going to Wembley if you could nick a win v Man Utd.

He was told there was no money and he needed to do what Clough has had to do as part of his contract. That is why he left, he couldn't hack it. Now if a proven manager like him can not hack it then name someone who would.

I have heard Slade at Yeovil, another lower league manager who has no proven record at this level.

Then there was Hart, he was asked to run tight budget at Portsmouth, Palace and Reading, how long did he last at each club and why was this.

Paul Ince was mentioned another manager only proved at lower league, given chance at a higher league last 4 months then back to lower leagues moving around.

I Know Hart has signed for Swindon who are lower than us but these managers would be no different to Clough. He has identified to the Board the need to spend and they need to acquire the players Clough has stated the 6.

Remind me again, how long before resigning did PJ sign Varney for over a million quid? Only about a month, IIRC. Can't see that PJ was told there was no more money. He might however have been told that he'd have to sell before he could buy any more players, which would be a perfectly reasonable approach given the number of players signed and amount of money spent in less than 12 months.

During the first half of the game on Tuesday and in quite a few of the games this season (even leaving out the good run we had in Oct/Nov) the players we have can produce good football.

It seems to me that it's the team spirit that is the biggest problem and that's as much down to the Manager and those around him as the players.

NC's attitude towards the players - in public mainly, obviously don't know what goes off behind closed doors - seems to give them the mentality that they are going to get a right b***king if they make a couple of mistakes - leading to nervous footballers - leading to making mistakes! Don't care how much money they're on, if you tell someone they're c**p enough times, most people start to believe it...!!!

Who's to say people were booing the players the other night, did NC not consider the boos could have mainly been for him!

I don't particularly want Clough to leave, just cheer up a bit, if he could get the team spirit higher and smile a bit more, maybe happier players would lead to better results would lead to happy supporters. Simples :).

I'm not in love with the bloke and I hate this situation, but that's because I've seen us in the top flight - not because I think we're capable of any better right now.

I don't like some of the things he does, but the alternative, on such a small budget, is take on a complete unknown - similar to the situation that led us to take on Clough (although 'unknown' is probably harsh for someone who dragged a club from complete amateurs to football league). This board have demonstrated their willingness to spend money - we won't ever land a Hughton or a Howe, so we work with what we have. I'm buggered if I'm having my money spent on paying out Clough's contract for someone just as good (or poor, depends who you ask).

I still think he's doing an OK job. People look at the last few weeks but look at the bigger picture, and what he's had to work with. Not much. Yes he's spent some money, but versus what he's had to chop, it's crazy.

I'm not in love with the bloke and I hate this situation, but that's because I've seen us in the top flight - not because I think we're capable of any better right now.

I don't like some of the things he does, but the alternative, on such a small budget, is take on a complete unknown - similar to the situation that led us to take on Clough (although 'unknown' is probably harsh for someone who dragged a club from complete amateurs to football league). This board have demonstrated their willingness to spend money - we won't ever land a Hughton or a Howe, so we work with what we have. I'm buggered if I'm having my money spent on paying out Clough's contract for someone just as good (or poor, depends who you ask).

I still think he's doing an OK job. People look at the last few weeks but look at the bigger picture, and what he's had to work with. Not much. Yes he's spent some money, but versus what he's had to chop, it's crazy.

I'm sorry mate but that is a ridiculous statement to make. Clough is NOT doing an OK job, and you wouldn't saying it if he was anyone other than a Clough. We are 6th from bottom and have been abysmal for most of the 2 years he has been in charge, with a team of players prodominently put together by him. Regardless of the limitations he has brought in a sizeable number of those players, some of whom are clearly not good enough for this level. We are lucky that there are three worse teams than us this season, but if things carry on as they are we will be lucky not to be in League One by the end of next season.

My hope is that Clough will reconsider his position in the summer, accept that he is not the man to take the club forward and do the honourable thing.

My only question is this: the board say that Clough's job is safe - but surely there must be a point at which his job becomes untenable.

Okay, that's a statement rather than a question, but when do we reach the point at which Clough must be sacked? Many of you think we've already reached that point. How long do we hold on as we continue to slide down the table? Surely something has to give soon.

I think the point is, there is no one to stop the slide that the board are prepared to bring in.

You can look at the table and performances, or look at what he has had to work with, or look at both - and looking at both will give you a fair indication.

The fact his surname is Clough is absolutely irrelevant to me - I wasn't even dreamt of when Brian was at Derby, so there is zero emotional attachment from me. I think there are 3 worse teams than us on paper, but only just. Our playing squad is poor, not the manager.

It's pretty simple - poor playing squad (due to lack of investment) = poor performances. If we were like Middlesbrough and had a very good side that were underperforming, I'd be the first person in line to shout about a replacement. But we are performing at the level that our first team suggests we should be.

I do believe there are better managers out there, but ones that will come to Derby to be told we have no money - not many. If any.

Whilst he has bought players like Davies and Roberts, he's also bought Brayford, Barker and Bailey - I refuse to question him based on his transfer activity. Name one manager who gets every transfer right.

The alternative is get an unproven manager from the lower leagues, which is what Clough was, so where's the benefit?

If we can get Chris Hughton in the Summer I hope Clough re considers his position. But we know that's not going to happen, so I'm afraid your comments are borne out of nothing but frustration that we are not very good at the moment.

Fans claim he has been given this time because of his name. Lets be honest Americans are not known to be sentimental when it comes to sport etc.

However we all know GSE and Glick are very capable spin doctors, that much so, heard Labour tried to get them in to promote Brown at the last election.

If you honestly think they have brough him and kept with him for the name. Then what has stopped them from bringing him in because of the name to hide their plans for the last two season.

This is what makes me angry, fans are quite happy to drag the name of Clough into this. Now I was not born when Clough Snr was here but the name of Clough still rings round Pride Park as it did around Baseball Ground. These Yanks have used and abused the name of Clough, because they KNEW with him being here they had breathing space to cover for the assets and players being stripped from the Clough. They were not expecting the fans to turn on the board when we did they thought with what is going on the pitch the fans would turn on the him first.

This was the case until Clough answered the question re Cywka. (can I point out since this outburst Cywka has learnt his lesson and does what he is told and still looks happy to be here, puzzling that). This allowed the Clough haters and pro GSE (whoever is left) to jump on this and steer people against Clough. Clough has done his job they wanted, he has cut the wages, got rid of a number of players, has brought in young cheap players and has now taken the brunt of all the anger from the fans. GSE is getting off the hook and if you expect the club to spend money this summer you are wrong.

Clough has said he needs 6 proven championship players. He has had enough of the spin from Glick and has publicly stated what he needs to force their hands. He has told them what he neeeds, to do the job and can now say he has asked them to provide this. The board in response is no decisions will be made about his future until the end of the season.

This for me and I am cynical. They will ask him to reconsider this as they will not be able to spend £400,000 on this type of player, and there will not be many championship players on free transfers who would come and make a difference. Clough is meaning Barker type of players so you are looking at £4million minimum investment and that is if you can get a couple of frees. This board don't have £600,000 and you saw that in the last transfer window with Sammon when we put a bid in for £450,000.

The board either puts up and backs clough, ships out for someone else, or ship out clough and bring in someone else who they promise things to but then spin the details and put the blame on them.

Clough was a smoke screen as they knew we would accept the name, I don't think they were ever intending him to succeed as they know promotion means more money needed for transfers and they are so tight. Clough came in and should have been backed and the backing should have been there on the run, where was it. Clough has shown this season given backing he can get the players to produce. The board should have backed him them if he wanted to succeed our board says they have done it once can do it again. Brilliant management on top floor

Archived