Fans? Really?

Roofio

I was at the game last night, just like I'm at the vast majority and yes the result and performance (second half especially) were poor, but it wasn't the team who pi$$ed me off last night, it was attitude of the fans!

They just cannot wait to get on Derby's back! They love it. I was sat around some of the biggest tossers I've ever seen at a game. Just sat shouting obceneties at the players and comments that were completely uncalled for. You could see Doncaster licking there lips and it was obvious they were going to get more goals with the fans moaning every 5 seconds.

I don't mind a bit of a moan after the game over a pint, but for f***'s sake, get BEHIND your team during the game, try a spur them on! You could see they were playing with a lack of confidence without the 'fans' acting like *****!

We played well first half and should have gone ahead. They scored out of the blue and that was that as far as the fans were concerned.

I heard a complete dick shout 'We're losing to Doncaster at home! What have we become'. I presume this is one of those fans who think we should be playing in the Champions League and winning the Premiership every year. Doncaster are a good team with more confidence, we don't have a god given right to be better just because we are a bigger club!

If fans go just to moan then just stay away!

Best fans in the country?! Hahaha.

Couldn't agree more. I go ballistic in the car/on the train home, but I never boo the team. If I do that, I should stay away.

Fans want to see results, but they also need to know that booing is not the answer. Some of the things that get shouted at games is unbelievable. I stood next to someone away at Portsmouth who was giving Bywater absolute dogs abuse for kicking a ball in to the wind. And again, someone behind me at Sheff Utd coming out with some hurrendous comments about him (when he wasn't even on the pitch!)

Derby fans love to moan - they're some of the most fickle in the country. As much as I can't stand the people who call Radio Derby after the match, that's when the rant should take place - not in the ground. There's an argument that they are priveliged to be in a job that we would all love, and is so well paid, but we pay their wages, and know what we are getting in to.

The fact is (as I keep saying), the table doesn't lie - we're not that good. I think our squad is just about capable of avoiding the drop, and it'll be a good season if that is the case. If we had a stronger squad, maybe including some of the players we've had to sell, I might be more included to make my feelings known, but we're deaing with a distinctly average bunch of players - name me 3 players at Derby who would be outstanding in the Championship? Probably Ayala, Fielding and Brayford - 2 are on loan.

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

How weird yesterday that we watched one of the most dreadful performances I can honestly remember at Pride Park with negative hoofing football and awful quality yet the fans seemed content just because we didn't lose!

If Barnsley had scored then it would have been horrible, but for some reason the fans seemed ok?!

I then walked past the main entrance and the 'protest' had about 25 people in it. If Barnsely had scored there would have been hundreds.

So to re-cap - unless Derby are losing, the horrid negative football is OK, and the board are fine.

I don't mind a bit of a moan after the game over a pint, but for f***'s sake, get BEHIND your team during the game, try a spur them on!

The team don't deserve it, they deserve an absolute mauling. Poor them with the lack of confidence, while our cash strapped club is paying them very good money to do nothing but fail.

The team don't deserve it, they deserve an absolute mauling. Poor them with the lack of confidence, while our cash strapped club is paying them very good money to do nothing but fail.

Do you realise how poor this team is? It's not their fault they're not very good.

People like Roberts, Robinson, Ward and Pearson are not Championship standard footballers. You can't blame them for being picked and playing poorly!

As I've said before, if we had a squad like Middlesbrough's that were chronically underachieving, I'd be up for a rant. But we've got a squad that, in terms of quality, is somewhere between mounting a promotion challenge in League 1 and surviving in the Championship. So if you're expecting a big change in performances in the coming weeks - well, don't.

Do you realise how poor this team is? It's not their fault they're not very good.

People like Roberts, Robinson, Ward and Pearson are not Championship standard footballers. You can't blame them for being picked and playing poorly!

As I've said before, if we had a squad like Middlesbrough's that were chronically underachieving, I'd be up for a rant. But we've got a squad that, in terms of quality, is somewhere between mounting a promotion challenge in League 1 and surviving in the Championship. So if you're expecting a big change in performances in the coming weeks - well, don't.

Of course Roberts, Robinson, Ward and Pearson are Championship standard footballers! You need to think before posting such negative drivel.

Of course Roberts, Robinson, Ward and Pearson are Championship standard footballers! You need to think before posting such negative drivel.

I'm guessing that was sarcastic...

If it wasn't, I'd be keen to see evidence based on the last two months that suggest they are good enough to play at this level to propel a team up the table, rather than sit in the bottom third of the table.

I'm guessing that was sarcastic...

If it wasn't, I'd be keen to see evidence based on the last two months that suggest they are good enough to play at this level to propel a team up the table, rather than sit in the bottom third of the table.

Roberts - regular for Doncaster over the last few years (they have finished above us)

Pearson - came from Celtic, much better team than us

Robinson - came from Millwall, above us in the league

Ward - regular for Sheff Utd in the last season (they finished above us)

To suggest that none of these are good enough to play at this level would seem to go against what NC and other managers in this division think.

Roberts - regular for Doncaster over the last few years (they have finished above us)

To suggest that none of these are good enough to play at this level would seem to go against what NC and other managers in this division think.

agree with most of this, but Celtic aren't a better team than us. Especially not back in the Pearson days, they were even worse back then

I think they're good enough for a team in 18th position in the Championship. If we wanted to push up the table, I would suggest that they are not good enough to aid that plan. It really depends what 'good enough' means. They are good enough to get in our team now obviously, and that reflects our league positions. It's just annoying when supporters vent their frustration at the performances when the people we have are playing as well as they can.

For me football has never been life and death, I've enjoyed playing it and also watching it at the BBG and PP. Work commitments have got in the way at times but I see them when I can.

There is no "one way" to support a team. Now I have never booed a Derby player but I have booed a team performance at the final whistle. For me getting on at players during a game is self defeatist and rather sad. It seems we are only too quick to label people "happy clappers" or "happy moaners" or whatever the hell people call them.

My own take on it is in recent years the gritty working class realism has been eroded by corporate spin and commercial exploitation. It isn't what it used to be that's for sure. Football for me is about entertainment. Now I don't expect it every game but I do expect 11 professional footballers on the pitch to give their all and have a modicum of talent. All too often in recent seasons that has not been the case. I would give anything to put on a shirt and play 1 game for Derby, top class players would play the game for free. Ask Rooney or Messi.

Quite a few of my season ticket holding friends will not be renewing. It does not make them any less of a fan as some would suggest. That would be a bit like me suggesting fans who offer unconditional support to a bunch of overpaid and underserving players are idiots. They are not happy with what is happening on and off the pitch so the absolute bottom line is they have decided not to line the pockets of the players and board next season. The job situation hasn't helped either so people make their priorities.

Some fair points in there. The economy plays a big part too - if people had more money, I think the number of people considering not renewing wouldn't be so high. A lot of tough decisions being made, and when the product on the pitch is struggling, its no surprise that some people aren't renewing.

I think they're good enough for a team in 18th position in the Championship. If we wanted to push up the table, I would suggest that they are not good enough to aid that plan. It really depends what 'good enough' means. They are good enough to get in our team now obviously, and that reflects our league positions. It's just annoying when supporters vent their frustration at the performances when the people we have are playing as well as they can.

What do you expect them to do when the quality on the pitch is so obviously lacking and those players are getting obscene amounts for playing, go outside and headbutt a stanchion?

Of course they're going to vent their frustrations on the players, not to do so would be very strange.

Our support has been unbelievable since the relegation season, far better than the performances deserve. However, like the previous poster says, finances and job prospects are starting to hit and where fans may make an effort if the team is on the up it can be far easier not to bother when the team is looking poor.

Without some major investment the team is not good enough to give the spark needed to galvanise supporters into making the financial input of renewing.

Just like the dark days of the 80´s we could be looking at averages of 15,000 next season if we go down, maybe 18,000 if we stay up.

For me football has never been life and death, I've enjoyed playing it and also watching it at the BBG and PP. Work commitments have got in the way at times but I see them when I can.

There is no "one way" to support a team. Now I have never booed a Derby player but I have booed a team performance at the final whistle. For me getting on at players during a game is self defeatist and rather sad. It seems we are only too quick to label people "happy clappers" or "happy moaners" or whatever the hell people call them.

My own take on it is in recent years the gritty working class realism has been eroded by corporate spin and commercial exploitation. It isn't what it used to be that's for sure. Football for me is about entertainment. Now I don't expect it every game but I do expect 11 professional footballers on the pitch to give their all and have a modicum of talent. All too often in recent seasons that has not been the case. I would give anything to put on a shirt and play 1 game for Derby, top class players would play the game for free. Ask Rooney or Messi.

Quite a few of my season ticket holding friends will not be renewing. It does not make them any less of a fan as some would suggest. That would be a bit like me suggesting fans who offer unconditional support to a bunch of overpaid and underserving players are idiots. They are not happy with what is happening on and off the pitch so the absolute bottom line is they have decided not to line the pockets of the players and board next season. The job situation hasn't helped either so people make their priorities.

Agree with every word, it's where I'm at with regards to not renewing.

What do you expect them to do when the quality on the pitch is so obviously lacking and those players are getting obscene amounts for playing, go outside and headbutt a stanchion?

Of course they're going to vent their frustrations on the players, not to do so would be very strange.

I'm appalled at the current situation with regard to lack of investment, but in terms of the players I can't be anything other than happy with their efforts - they are playing at their full potential. Which is very poor.

I wouldn't headbutt a stanchion, no. I'd probably vent my anger at the board more. If someone asked you to take a promotion in your job for more money and you weren't good enough, you'd still take that opportunity, wouldn't you? You're right, the quality is lacking but it's not their fault we've got no scope to bring in more players to improve the squad. If we can only bring in people like Theo Robinson, then it is what it is - if we want better players, we need to spend more money, and that's a strategic issue that needs to be taken up with the board, not the 11 players who, whilst not being particularly good, try their best.

They are on alot of money (in comparison to most season ticket holders), but we pay it. You know that the current set of players can't get any better, so paying the money to go and shout at them is a complete waste of time, putting it mildly. However, a very large protest against the board and it's lack of investment, transparency, and communication with supporters would, in my opinion, be far more productive.

If someone asked you to take a promotion in your job for more money and you weren't good enough, you'd still take that opportunity, wouldn't you?

Actually I was tapped up for a senior management position but I didn't think it right for me. I turned the opportunity down, as I thought it would lead to the sack for underperformance. I suspect the same attitude does not prevail in football.

Actually I was tapped up for a senior management position but I didn't think it right for me. I turned the opportunity down, as I thought it would lead to the sack for underperformance. I suspect the same attitude does not prevail in football.

That's very noble of you. Many people would go where the money is, and there's no way I'm booing these players for simply being picked (and paid).

It's all about expectations. If you expect us to be a top 6 team, even a top half team with this squad, you are deluded, and should go and watch another team.

If you take it for what it is - some very inexperienced, low quality, low confidence footballers, fighting against relegation - then we're doing Ok.

I look at other teams like Middlesbrough, paying god knows how much to players like Robson, Brown etc and they are terrible. I'd be furious if that was us.

But while we've got players like the ones mentioned earlier (Ward, Robinson, Roberts etc), we're probably around the 18th best team in the league.

Archived