Barker postpones knee operation

Day

Derby County centre-half Shaun Barker is delaying a knee operation until the struggling Rams are safe from relegation from the Championship.

The 28-year-old, who recently signed a new contract until 2014, has not been training because of the problem.

But Barker is a key figure for the Rams and boss Nigel Clough does not want to lose him for the end-of-season run-in.

Derby have lost 10 of their last 14 league games and are just five points clear of the drop zone.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/d/derby_county/9406327.stm

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Very poor, almost sunday league.

how can we play a player that is in need of an operation, I would be fuming if I was barker, playing on an injury is one sure way of becoming a injury prone player and in the long term could halt his career especially with it being a knee injury, which is a problem area for footballers.

I'm sorry but I find this very short sighted, also don't know how an unfit centre half is going to help matters, surely there are better options.

Very poor, almost sunday league.

how can we play a player that is in need of an operation, I would be fuming if I was barker, playing on an injury is one sure way of becoming a injury prone player and in the long term could halt his career especially with it being a knee injury, which is a problem area for footballers.

I'm sorry but I find this very short sighted, also don't know how an unfit centre half is going to help matters, surely there are better options.

I imagine it's probably partially Barker's decision. I doubt he would play if he didn't feel up for it - it's not like the club holds injured players at gunpoint to make them play.

I imagine it's probably partially Barker's decision. I doubt he would play if he didn't feel up for it - it's not like the club holds injured players at gunpoint to make them play.

I still don't agree with it, I can't imagine what a centre back that can't pivot can give us anyway, he'll turn like darren moore did in the prem.

I still don't agree with it, I can't imagine what a centre back that can't pivot can give us anyway, he'll turn like darren moore did in the prem.

Darren Moore turned in the Prem exactly how he turned in the CCC. It was good enough for the CCC then, somehow, so Barker should be now.

Main problem with Barker at the moment doesn't appear to be one of fitness, but rather confidence/morale. That and a keeper who doesn't communicate with his defence very well.....

Archived