Radio Derby and the PFA

mcsilks

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Maybe I am missing something but why did Clough suggest that Radio Derby reported him to the PFA and if that is true then why aren't we jumping all over them?

I am fairly certain that Gordon Taylor said exactly that on SSN during his interview on the non-event.

Maybe I am missing something but why did Clough suggest that Radio Derby reported him to the PFA and if that is true then why aren't we jumping all over them?

I picked up on it in another thread, but can't remember which.

Bloomfield was banging on about it AGAIN prior to the match on Saturday when I was in the car; stirring it up and throwing his opinion in.

They have been having a dig a Clough ever since he decided to stay in the dressing room with the players after the Crawley game and, in my opinion, have been stiring it up with fans ever since.

Again, I hope someone from Radio Derby picks up on this thread and reads it, hence my message:-

Guys, you are journalists on a local radio station - good ones maybe, but not authorities on football, management of sportspeople, management of football clubs. As such, your opinions are no more or less valid than any other fan.

That being the case, we all know YOUR views on things like the Cwyka issue, so you don't need to interup anyone and everyone who phones in who holds an opinion contrary to your own, with you "now hang on a minute....." shout-downs, where we hear YOUR opinions all over again.

It's just like it was with Arthur Cox all those years ago, when the spiteful bile from Gibbo turned a large section of fans against one of finest servants. His 'crime' - refusing to speak with Radio Derby after a game.

I relayed a conversation from the weekend with another Championship club manager, where he said that the view inside football on this was that it was a fuss about nothing, stired up by people who don't understand football or have an axe to grind with Clough.

Summed it up quite well I thought!

I don't know whether RD did contact the PFA for a comment on Cwyka, but wouldn't be surprised if they did. What I do know is, a week after the event, Bloomfield was still banging on about it, and that is something which stirs up more unrest in the fansbase, just at a point when we need to be pulling together.

I cant stand radio derby and its commentry team. Except for graham richards they have always been a complete set of clowns who know nothing about football. Who remembers Ian Hall LOL ffs he made watching grass grow seem more exciting than listening to him.

Colin bloomfield is also a compelte joke, he was arguing with a caller not to many moons ago who had (quite rightly) said for a carling cup game he'd be suprised if 5k turned up based on how we were playing (shock horror we were on a dreadful run yet again), and CB told the caller pretty much he was talking twaddle and that he expected a good 25000 minimum to show up. Completely deluded and I suspect most have never played football in their entire life. How someone hasnt headbutted colin gibson over the years is beyond me, its embarassing his total lack of understanding of football.

1. Manager says something controversial about one of his players.

2. Local media pick up on controversy, and ask the PFA what they think.

...What's either bad or unusual about that? It's not 'reporting Clough' to the PFA. It's just journalists doing their job.

...What's either bad or unusual about that? It's not 'reporting Clough' to the PFA. It's just journalists doing their job.

Is that really what you regard as journalism?

I would say that it is an attempt to rock the boat and destabilise the club.

Is it too much to expect for our local radio station to get behind the club and put the interests of the club first? If the player involved had felt it worthy of PFA involvement then he would have taken the necessary steps himself.

If I were Clough and it were true that Radio Derby had spoken to the PFA then I hope he refuses to do another interview with the station and indeed introduces a blanket ban between DCFC and the station.

The PFA is a union which represents the players, it is not for the media to go telling tales on a manager, If there is a problem felt by a player he should go to his PFA rep who will try to sort it in house and if necessary call on the big guns from the PFA HQ.

Had RD not called the PFA (if indeed they did) that is exactly what would have happened and the big fuss would not have been created.

Clough post match on Saturday said they didnt come out against Crawley because they were angry and could have said something untoward, like what happened against Pompey. RD rightfully aired their opinion that it wasnt right at the time after the interview. Going to the PFA was to seek nothing more than clarification/an opinion that they were right and to stir up trouble, that is not what journalism is about.

They should report the facts as they happen, had they gone to the PFA a few days later and asked if Cywka had mad a complaint or somehting along those lines they would have been told to poke off its confidential. By doing what they did they created a belief that Cywka had gone telling tales - showing a possible discontent within the squad.

Making news not reporting it.

None of us have a clue on the facts about who contacted who first so I don't know why we are all doing what some are accusing RD off and going well over the top. It made a little bit of a story but didn't effect anyone. Sky were also involved as they were posting stories about it and had an interview on sky player

None of us have a clue on the facts about who contacted who first so I don't know why we are all doing what some are accusing RD off and going well over the top. It made a little bit of a story but didn't effect anyone. Sky were also involved as they were posting stories about it and had an interview on sky player

No-one was affected - apart from the re-hashed polls springing up, apart from the hatred and nastiness around this place the past week.

No-one was affected - Apart from the fact it was the catalyst for days upon days upon days of more clough out.

No-one affected apart from the fact a local sport issue was forced into the national papers, tv screens.

It affected us all as we are now all caught up in the right and the wrongs of it.

Radio Derby did the same earlier this season, and last season as well, these were the same guys that hammered savage and metgod and clough and anyone else they could throw into the mix.

Reporting on the game.. not on your nelly.

If I were the club I would tell them to do one. I would not let Colin whathisface within a mile of the place. He can't even get three half time scores right and he feels he can lecture others on how to do their job?

Derby County f.c

No-one was affected - apart from the re-hashed polls springing up, apart from the hatred and nastiness around this place the past week.

No-one was affected - Apart from the fact it was the catalyst for days upon days upon days of more clough out.

No-one affected apart from the fact a local sport issue was forced into the national papers, tv screens.

It affected us all as we are now all caught up in the right and the wrongs of it.

Radio Derby did the same earlier this season, and last season as well, these were the same guys that hammered savage and metgod and clough and anyone else they could throw into the mix.

If I were the club I would tell them to do one. I would not let Colin whathisface within a mile of the place. He can't even get three half time scores right and he feels he can lecture others on how to do their job?

should ban the two very very poor colins from the games at P.P.S.

they are a very poor advert for a radio station.

gibson guilty of calling P.P.S the city ground a couple of years ago,

i am sure it was picked up by somebody but did he appologise , did

he heck....the man makes so many mistakes i cannot understand

how he keeps that job, it must be so poorly paid nobody else wants

it.

i have rung in with a major irritatation in the way gibson reads results/scores/teams out so fast you cannot take them in and he

has ignored the request, his answer was that there is so much to

get in ....well what is the point of speed talking any of it if you cant

digest it anyway.

they ask you to call in monday nights , so you do..and gibson constantly

butts in the ignorant ar#e with his stupid comments,

bloomfield is not a football man and needs ousting like gibson .

the other wk in his commentary ( if you can call it that ) he had Bywater

running at the opposition down the wing ......

every second sentence carries a mistake....

how did he get the job ........

and , if it was radio ga-ga that reported the Cywka incident ban em

for life........

i watched the swansea/cardiff game on bbc last wk and opted for

the local radio commentary option ...how refreshing ...

good honest reporting , it made radio ga ga sound , well , like

they are ...CRAP.........:p

Absolutely spot on with the impact caused there chap. Thank you.

Sorry guys, I have to disagree, I think Radio Derby do a good job. Yes, maybe some other stations do a better job, but Radio Derby are way better than alot of other stations I've heard do commentaries

At least they let the fans voice their opinions on air, giving us a chance to say what we think of GSE!

Firstly, is there any proof at all that Radio Derby actually got the PFA involved?

Secondly, Radio Derby's primary responsibility is to Journalism, not to the club. If RD did ring the PFA and asked them for their opinion, that is not them "getting the PFA involved" but ringing a relevant organisation for a relevant quote, which turned out to be more than they hoped for. That is what all good Journalists do and should continue to do.

As for Gibson and Bloomfield, I respect one. I honestly think Colin Bloomfield is a respectable journalist who does his job extremely well. He hosts a drive-time show (which is pretty good, I'm not the audience they aim for and I can't say I listen religiously) and his commentary, considering he's only been in the position for the best part of a year, is also acceptable. I'd sooner listen to him than have Ted McMinn spouting his rubbish down my ear. Gibson has grown on me the last couple of weeks, he has asked questions of the club which have needed asking. However, I'm still annoyed (even a year on) by his rumour-spreading last year (which as we remember got Savage rightly annoyed).

There is a big difference between Gibson spreading unsubstantiated rumours last year and the station asking the PFA on their opinion regarding the Cywka incident.

As for Colin Bloomfield "having digs" at Clough over the Cywka incident, its not having a dig so much as offering his opinion which, as a pundit, is his job. And to be honest, its an opinion I agree with.

Firstly, is there any proof at all that Radio Derby actually got the PFA involved?

Secondly, Radio Derby's primary responsibility is to Journalism, not to the club. If RD did ring the PFA and asked them for their opinion, that is not them "getting the PFA involved" but ringing a relevant organisation for a relevant quote, which turned out to be more than they hoped for. That is what all good Journalists do and should continue to do.

As for Gibson and Bloomfield, I respect one. I honestly think Colin Bloomfield is a respectable journalist who does his job extremely well. He hosts a drive-time show (which is pretty good, I'm not the audience they aim for and I can't say I listen religiously) and his commentary, considering he's only been in the position for the best part of a year, is also acceptable. I'd sooner listen to him than have Ted McMinn spouting his rubbish down my ear. Gibson has grown on me the last couple of weeks, he has asked questions of the club which have needed asking. However, I'm still annoyed (even a year on) by his rumour-spreading last year (which as we remember got Savage rightly annoyed).

There is a big difference between Gibson spreading unsubstantiated rumours last year and the station asking the PFA on their opinion regarding the Cywka incident.

As for Colin Bloomfield "having digs" at Clough over the Cywka incident, its not having a dig so much as offering his opinion which, as a pundit, is his job. And to be honest, its an opinion I agree with.

absolutely spot on.

Totally agree with all of this. I agree about the Colin Gibson part. He was probably wrong to report on the rumours, but I think he's learned from this now. He has put some good questions to key members of the club in the past few weeks, questions that I'd have wanted to ask myself.

They're doing a good job tonight covering the Peter Gadsby story by the way.

Archived