'Go back to Burton, you're clueless about football'

vonwright

It's not impossible. I believe that when Arthur Cox came to Derby, he was the Newcastle manager in the First Division as it was then, and we managed to bring him in as manager to our Third Division team. Though, I guess we had a bit more ambition back then than we do now.

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

i cant think of a worse scenario, squad low on confidence, no real strikers at the club, no money to spend and the clough gone!!

whoever it was earlier said we should get behind the rams was bang on for me...this slagging players and clough off only makes the situation worse

i mean how bad is it when some posters are actually saying we could never get a manger in like steve cotterill....what...why would you want to?

cmon...we are derby...super derby!!!!!!!

I was right behind Nigel Clough, but what's turned me is Nigel Clough slagging off his own players! How can we expect our players to perform when our own manager doesn't believe in them and comes out with negative stuff like "he can go back to Wigan or wherever he came from". It's the worst man-management I've ever known, pathetic.

i cant think of a worse scenario, squad low on confidence, no real strikers at the club, no money to spend and the clough gone!!

whoever it was earlier said we should get behind the rams was bang on for me...this slagging players and clough off only makes the situation worse

i mean how bad is it when some posters are actually saying we could never get a manger in like steve cotterill....what...why would you want to?

cmon...we are derby...super derby!!!!!!!

Who is responsible for us being so down?

Where were you all when we were playing well? We didn't need a replacement then? This squad isn't very good, deal with it. No one could improve the position.

We have got, from what I can see, a pretty poor board, not a pretty poor manager. We have a poor team through lack of investment, and everyone is trying their absolute best to remain in this league. Which, after the Portsmouth game, I'm reasonably confident of.

No manager will turn this in to a top 6 situation, so a replacement is absolutely pointless. We need stability at this club. We've been haemorrhaging managers over the years and we need a period of one manager, not constantly chopping and changing every time we have a bad run.

Alternatively, we need a board prepared to spend money, like our friends along the A52. If you're frustrated that we can't match them, look at the cash they've spent. We can't do that. Not Nigel Clough's fault.

If we were bought out by a wealthy consortium and had money to throw at the transfer market, we wouldn't be in this situation, and Nigel Clough would be seen as a good Championship manager. Instead he's dealing with a hugely depleted team.

Get rid of Nigel Clough, and we'll be in the same position or worse, with a similar standard manager or worse, and a big bill to pay him off. As a supporter I can't understand how you would want that.

Just to pre empt the next response - I really don't think the sun shines out of Nigel Clough's arse:

- I don't like the fact he put Brayford at centre half

- I don't like the way he publicly criticises players

- I don't lke that he doesn't admit when he gets it wrong

But I didn't like alot of things about Jewell, Davies, Brown....doesn't mean I think he should be chopped.

Well, in my opinion, when you've got a limited number of players in the squad, you absolutely under no circumstances pick players out and say rude things about them in public like he said about Cywka. It's just something that you don't do. How would Nigel like it if Tom Glick said that "Nigel can go back to Burton or wherever he came from"? Answer is he wouldn't stand for it, and neither should any of the players that Nigel picks out. Sometimes you need to look more at the positives, and he couldn't even congratulate Tomasz for the great assist he provided for our goal.

Well, in my opinion, when you've got a limited number of players in the squad, you absolutely under no circumstances pick players out and say rude things about them in public like he said about Cywka. It's just something that you don't do. How would Nigel like it if Tom Glick said that "Nigel can go back to Burton or wherever he came from"? Answer is he wouldn't stand for it, and neither should any of the players that Nigel picks out. Sometimes you need to look more at the positives, and he couldn't even congratulate Tomasz for the great assist he provided for our goal.

Like I said, agree to some extent, although no one knows what effect that will have on Cwyka. If it's a good one, it'll be a good piece of management, and if not it will be a terrible piece of management.

This has all deflected attention away from Cwyka, who infact was pretty stupid doing what he did.

Well, in my opinion, when you've got a limited number of players in the squad, you absolutely under no circumstances pick players out and say rude things about them in public like he said about Cywka. It's just something that you don't do.

Why is it?

I've still not seen a convincing argument as to why Nigel is wrong to criticise players when he sees it necessary.

I’d rather we had an honest passionate manager who tells it like it is. .

Ironically the same people saying that he is “out of order†etc would probably be slating him if he acted all diplomatic in interviews like nothing had happened.

As I said before, people seem to want the truth from Glick/Clough in every area except for on the pitch – at which point the truth is suddenly the “wrong†thing to say

Very true, we'll have to wait and see what happens with this. I just hope that Nigel doesn't leave Tomasz out for the rest of the season now, because that's going to be counter-productive. Afterall, I think he's one of our best attacking options and was part of the team that did so well earlier in the season.

What I don't like about Nigel man-management style is that it reminds me of how John Gregory treated some of his players, and that totally failed.

Someone else might have already said it but does anyone think it could be possible Clough acted like an arse to draw attention away from the terrible transfer window we just had. Not sure if I think it myself even though I'm typing it but it's a thought given how over the top the criticism Cywka was.

Archived