'Go back to Burton, you're clueless about football'

vonwright

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Indeed, spot on - but I wonder why if they knew there would be no money available they hired such an inexperienced manager in the first place.

Maybe because it would get the fans on board, maybe because they thought at that stage more money was to be forthcoming from the investors, maybe they thought Nigel would be good enough (and I'm not saying he isn't or won't be in the long term) or maybe because he was cheap.

You refer to when the cost cutting is over - the fear is that once it is we will be self sustainable as a business, but that in turn won't involve any financial input into team affairs and will continue to be a buy-to-sell, balance the books situation

I think it's a vicious circle. No money from the start = a cheaper option - Clough. I doubt they'd sit down with a big name manager, explain the situation around cost cutting, and then get him on board - most managers would probably run a mile.

Imagine saying to someone like Curbishley (or any other strong manager at this level available at the time) 'we'll be selling our best players to balance the books, and we won't be paying you great cash - fancy it?'. And even if he did, what are the chances he could get us further up the table than we already are?

Well it sort of is. If you don't want Clough in charge, you must think there are people out there who could do a bettter job. I'm not sure there is.
That your opinion, I simply say give someone, anyone a go, because although we may well NOT go down, we could go mighty close, 17 more pts may well take some getting, is it worth the risk, stick or twist, I say twist.

I'm sure lots of decent managers out there would be interested in the Derby job. Who wouldn't when you're managing at a top stadium like Pride Park with 30,000 attendances. We seem to forget sometimes just how good this club could be.

I mean, look at Portsmouth. They're in a much worse situation than us, but they managed to attract a decent manager in Steve Cotterill. I'm sure we could get someone better than him.

I don't know about that. It's a massive opportunity for someone to really prove themselves. The club is up against it at the moment and so if someone can come in and put us right, it will do wonders for their reputation! I just hope if we managed to find this manager, we can keep hold of them!

Certainly not. We need someone that has at least got some managerial experience at Championship level. I know I've been on about it before, but I'd love to see George Burley back. I reckon he'd love this challenge, and he's great at bringing through young players, of which we've got lots of at the moment. Remember he nurtured the likes of Kieron Dyer, Tom Huddlestone and Gareth Bale.

Other than that, someone such as Chris Hughton would be a good appointment I think.

Certainly not. We need someone that has at least got some managerial experience at Championship level. I know I've been on about it before, but I'd love to see George Burley back. I reckon he'd love this challenge, and he's great at bringing through young players, of which we've got lots of at the moment. Remember he nurtured the likes of Kieron Dyer, Tom Huddlestone and Gareth Bale.

Other than that, someone such as Chris Hughton would be a good appointment I think.

Chris Hughton, great choice. How the hell do we afford him.

Same with Burley - do you think he'll take a reduction on the salary he was on last time? No way on this earth.

We're going round in circles with this.

Well, none of us know what the wage demands would be of Chris Hughton or George Burley. But, one things for sure, the most important position at the football club is that of the manager. If you want a good manager, you probably have to pay a decent wage. A good manager will probably save you a fortune by then finding good players for free/low transfer fees and on less wages than a poor manager would. So, overall, you should end up saving a fortune.

Same with Burley - do you think he'll take a reduction on the salary he was on last time? No way on this earth.

Huhgton would be a dream for me. Not happening sadly

If we had a good board behind us, I'm sure Chris Hughton could be a reality. Look at when Peter Gadsby took over Derby, he went out of his way to bring in a good, proven manager at this level. He brought in Billy Davies and we got an instant promotion. If only we had a board like that here again. I wonder what Mr Gadsby is up to these days....

I wouldn't have thought that Hughton would be particularly expensive.

I think lack of real ambition would be the main drawback.

And the West Brom job...

I wouldn't have thought that Hughton would be particularly expensive.

I think lack of real ambition would be the main drawback.

And the West Brom job...

His CV is pretty impressive. I'd bet money he'll want alot more than Clough.

The fact that you're mentioning a Premiership team suggests he's well out of reach.

Archived