'Go back to Burton, you're clueless about football'

vonwright

Improvement on each season with limited backing and a crippling injury crisis last season and a losing culture at the club thats been hard to shake off.

I'd say hes done a very decent job.

And they could ban me if they liked, what I say on here has no effect on that decision :p

What improvement? When Jewell left we had a sub-standard squad of players who were devoid of confidence and a winning mentality and were struggling at the wrong end of the table.

Now look at us..

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

we have the basis

of a good squad with some good talent,we just need 4-5 new faces

adding in the summer ,with 3-4 loanee's to take us over the line

this term.

much better squad imo then 2 yrs ago...clough will get it right given time.

FACT......................................................................:)

We played better yesterday, defended like lions, but were let down by some sloppy play.

same against Ipswich, until we see nigel get some backing how can we really know what he's capable of, we have some evidence that he can get a team playing good football, he does however need some wonga.com;)

Absolutely sick to death of paying money to be surrounded by people at football who know seem to have no understanding of the current situation, how we got there, and how we might get ourselves out of it.

People who expect immediate results - do you have a clue how much the wage bill has been slashed since Nigel Clough took charge? Do you think this is something he wanted to do? We are in a situation whereby the board are instructing the sale of players for pretty much any fee. We won't fight to keep anyone if anything like a respectable bid comes in. This is not NC's fault.

Some things I don't agree with, like the interview yesterday. I don't generally agree with the personal attacks, although he was criticising individuals when we were winning, so our bad run can't be attributed to this. No one knows what makes those players tick. He was singling Commons out for criticism when he was on form, and continued to score goals. Cwyka may come out and have a blinder, and until then, we won't know the effect that interview will have.

As I've said on this forum before, we have a threadbare squad and no money, and to some extent, owners with the sole ambition of cutting costs. We can't afford to get another manager in that would add any further value, and even if we did, we don't have a squad that suggests we are in a lower league position than we should be. Sack him, and the only viable alternative (financially) that I can think of would be Metgod.

The under investment in this club is absolutely chronic, and is much more frustrating than some of the mistakes a young, talented manager might make. The fact that Clough gives interviews regularly means he is much more accesible than the men in suits, which makes it easier to target him. I would be much more open to the idea of a formal protest against the owners than a manager who is working with, through no fault of his own, a squad barely capable of survival in this league.

We can't improve the squad, and we can't realistically change the manager, until such a time that a) the board decide to invest or b) we get new owners. I would love to see Chris Hughton at Derby (although in no way do I think Clough deserves to lose his job). Tell me how that happens financially and we can put a case forward to the board.

Otherwise, I would suggest that rather than starting a 'go back to Burton, you're clueless about football' chant (which would probably start a 'go back home, you know nothing about Derby County, Nigel Clough, or anything football related chant), you back a group of players that are in dire need of a boost, back the manager, and back the club.

Or, in the words of the great Lionel Pickering, 'if you don't like it, go and watch forest'. You're causing more harm than good.

Absolutely sick to death of paying money to be surrounded by people at football who know seem to have no understanding of the current situation, how we got there, and how we might get ourselves out of it.

People who expect immediate results - do you have a clue how much the wage bill has been slashed since Nigel Clough took charge? Do you think this is something he wanted to do? We are in a situation whereby the board are instructing the sale of players for pretty much any fee. We won't fight to keep anyone if anything like a respectable bid comes in. This is not NC's fault.

Some things I don't agree with, like the interview yesterday. I don't generally agree with the personal attacks, although he was criticising individuals when we were winning, so our bad run can't be attributed to this. No one knows what makes those players tick. He was singling Commons out for criticism when he was on form, and continued to score goals. Cwyka may come out and have a blinder, and until then, we won't know the effect that interview will have.

As I've said on this forum before, we have a threadbare squad and no money, and to some extent, owners with the sole ambition of cutting costs. We can't afford to get another manager in that would add any further value, and even if we did, we don't have a squad that suggests we are in a lower league position than we should be. Sack him, and the only viable alternative (financially) that I can think of would be Metgod.

The under investment in this club is absolutely chronic, and is much more frustrating than some of the mistakes a young, talented manager might make. The fact that Clough gives interviews regularly means he is much more accesible than the men in suits, which makes it easier to target him. I would be much more open to the idea of a formal protest against the owners than a manager who is working with, through no fault of his own, a squad barely capable of survival in this league.

We can't improve the squad, and we can't realistically change the manager, until such a time that a) the board decide to invest or b) we get new owners. I would love to see Chris Hughton at Derby (although in no way do I think Clough deserves to lose his job). Tell me how that happens financially and we can put a case forward to the board.

Otherwise, I would suggest that rather than starting a 'go back to Burton, you're clueless about football' chant (which would probably start a 'go back home, you know nothing about Derby County, Nigel Clough, or anything football related chant), you back a group of players that are in dire need of a boost, back the manager, and back the club.

Or, in the words of the great Lionel Pickering, 'if you don't like it, go and watch forest'. You're causing more harm than good.

Bizarre. The whole point of the thread was to point out the hypocrisy of those who would defend Clough's public trashing of Cywka.

I don't think anyone would seriously consider chanting such a thing.

Being publicly ridiculed in such a nasty way would not be fair to Clough and would only 'motivate' him to want to leave. Similarly...

What improvement? When Jewell left we had a sub-standard squad of players who were devoid of confidence and a winning mentality and were struggling at the wrong end of the table.

Now look at us..

ok, while we have improved lets look at it in your way. You say we have stayed exactly the same, which would still have been an achievement considering the wage bill, injuries and the lack of transfer funds

because

Last 12 lost 9 drawn 2 won 1 FACT

late goals abound .

Sven next

--------- ------------------------------

we have lost 9 out of the last 12 does not make us a worse team .FACT.

you only have to look at such as chelsea to see anybody / team can

struggle to get out of the habit of losing , just as Derby was in the

habit of winning a few games ago .....................:D

a few loaneees should make all the difference.;)

excellent post

post Asanovic..............

you really nail it on the head.

alot are so short sighted and " mr magoo " like.:p

oh how i loved the runs you used to make into and around the box...

and that time you carried the ball , ballanced on your head into the area

m8..............breathtaking it was,just beathtaking.:D

dont suppose you have a son who might want a trial ?.:)

ok, while we have improved lets look at it in your way. You say we have stayed exactly the same, which would still have been an achievement considering the wage bill, injuries and the lack of transfer funds

I agree with you that Nigel has not had anything like the financial support he should get from the board in terms of transfer funds etc, but even allowing for that I do not accept that he has progressed this club since taking charge. I honestly believe a more experienced manager at this level, with better contacts and a proper scouting network would have done better than Nigel has done so far.

That said, I don't think for a minute he is going anywhere so maybe we will get to see his true worth over the next season or two.

Cywka has shown that hes learnt very little since joining.

Would you have been saying that today had Nigel not brought the subject up?

Alex, you seem to believe that Nigel's doing everything right, because you're not criticising him for anything at all.

Even his father made mistakes. No manager is perfect. Especially Nigel.

9 defeats and one win in 12, with basically the same side that took 6 straight home victories, shows that he's clearly not doing everything right.

I'm not saying you have to call for his head or even lessen your support, but you need to see where other people are coming from on this one and maybe accept some of Clough's shortcomings. Every manager has them.

Superb. Thank you for restoring my faith in Derby fans.

Personally, I don't want to any other manager at Derby until the current one has been given a decent budget for players and time to get them bedded in.

What does GSE have to do with a manager coming out and pointing the blame at individual players and the terms he used is what made people laugh and lose respect for him. 'Inexperienced, keeps making same mistakes.'

I mean because Nigel has made no mistakes in his time here, he has been perfect. And 10 years at Burton means he is very well experienced right?

Would you have been saying that today had Nigel not brought the subject up?

Alex, you seem to believe that Nigel's doing everything right, because you're not criticising him for anything at all.

Even his father made mistakes. No manager is perfect. Especially Nigel.

9 defeats and one win in 12, with basically the same side that took 6 straight home victories, shows that he's clearly not doing everything right.

I'm not saying you have to call for his head or even lessen your support, but you need to see where other people are coming from on this one and maybe accept some of Clough's shortcomings. Every manager has them.

Not so , strictly speaking, only 5 of the 11 that started on Sat started when we won 2-0 at home, no defence of Clough, just a fact:)

Not so , strictly speaking, only 5 of the 11 that started on Sat started when we won 2-0 at home, no defence of Clough, just a fact:)

Good point, but out of interest, how many of those 6 that started in November that didn't yesterday were available to Clough anyway?

I can't believe what Clough said about Cwyka, genuinely no reason for it at all.. he seems to be a man losing the dressing room at the minute, I want him to succeed and I'm his biggest fan but after that hammering of Cwyka, it's hard to back him.

he is trying to be like his dad

Archived