4231 scrapped?

Stimacked

Just wondering if Clough has now opted to scrap the 4231 and revert back to 442 again.

Following the first half at Watford, seems like he dropped the system and pulled off Bailey and Commons, put two up front and went 442.

Maybe it was for the away matches he has opted for this now.

We looked more stable in second half, even though the match was dead.

Just observing that the reserves were sent out in a 442 formation yesterday, with Cwyka and Davies up front. Most of the reserves matches they have played a formation mirroring the 4231 system the first team have been playing.

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I dont think just because last season 442 was so boring it would have to be now. Last season we were pretty much 4 centre mids and the defence sat very deep. Plenty of good attractive sides play 442. Its the players, the playing style and the mentality that makes a style not just a system.

I dont think just because last season 442 was so boring it would have to be now. Last season we were pretty much 4 centre mids and the defence sat very deep. Plenty of good attractive sides play 442. Its the players, the playing style and the mentality that makes a style not just a system.

I'd much prefer to use the system we've got now, Commons, Bueno, Cwyka, Green (potentially) Davies and t'other Davies all fit in that formation and I don't think we should change it TBH.

Get a striker who'll put chances away and lets re-wind 2 months. It wouldn't be long until Clough's ass is licked clean again.

u think hell start with a 4-4-2 then change it if they stat dominating midfield?

the only trouble with the 4-2-3-1 is that its to easy for teams to get down our flanks and get at us and we cant do that against florest or theyll tear us open i say team as follows

...........................bywater (no1 else)....................

brayford..................addison.....barker...................moxey

cwyka...................savage..........bailey/b.davies........commons

..............................porter................s.davies........................

deeney

green

bueno

pierson

roberts

martin

u think hell start with a 4-4-2 then change it if they stat dominating midfield?

the only trouble with the 4-2-3-1 is that its to easy for teams to get down our flanks and get at us and we cant do that against florest or theyll tear us open i say team as follows

...........................bywater (no1 else)....................

brayford..................addison.....barker...................moxey

cwyka...................savage..........bailey/b.davies........commons

..............................porter................s.davies........................

deeney

green

bueno

pierson

roberts

martin

Don't like that at all, no fluidity. (If that's a word)

Not your fault, the formation just annoys me.

Its not just the formation, it was the freedom the players had and they were encouraged to pass the ball. Its been just as dire to watch the last few weeks as last season as the players have lost there confidence and Clough seems to have gone back to basics and encouraging them to knock the ball into the channels and not to make any mistakes. Just by players playing in slighty different postion doesnt stop them playing totally different

I guess Man U arent fluid as they play 442 mostly

They don't..

VDS

Rafael Vidic Ferd Evra

Carrick Fletcher

Nani Rooney Giggs

Berbatov..

4-2-3-1.. The only players that switch are Scholes or Anderson for Carrick/Fletcher.. J-Sung Park for Giggs.. Valenica played instead of Giggs or Nani before his injury.. Chicharito plays instead of Berb for cup games etc. Rooney also tends to drift LAM (Left Attacking Mid) and allows Giggs to go inside. I'm missing someone really obvious but in no way is it a 4-4-2.

I made this point before, name one good team that plays a 4-4-2? It's so outdated and has so many faults.. You need the perfect balance is vry hard to find. Off the top of my head only Man Utd or Spurs have the players capable of a 4-4-2.

There is nothing to stop the attacking three dropping back and making it a solid five man midfield when we are under the cosh as long as they support with a bit of pace when we break. It also includes Porter holding up the better than I hear he is. I don't know if Davies would fill this role better or not?

They don't..

VDS

Rafael Vidic Ferd Evra

Carrick Fletcher

Nani Rooney Giggs

Berbatov..

4-2-3-1.. The only players that switch are Scholes or Anderson for Carrick/Fletcher.. J-Sung Park for Giggs.. Valenica played instead of Giggs or Nani before his injury.. Chicharito plays instead of Berb for cup games etc. Rooney also tends to drift LAM (Left Attacking Mid) and allows Giggs to go inside. I'm missing someone really obvious but in no way is it a 4-4-2.

I made this point before, name one good team that plays a 4-4-2? It's so outdated and has so many faults.. You need the perfect balance is vry hard to find. Off the top of my head only Man Utd or Spurs have the players capable of a 4-4-2.

Agreed - Arsenal play the 4-2-3-1 as well. The thing is the two on the edges of the three have to put a shift in and be quick accorss the ground and thats where were falling down at the moment. My only sorrow is that Martin isnt getting a look in on this current set up and I cant see why he's keeping him if not prepared to use him - unless theyve fallen out and a lesson is being learnt.

In the 4-2-3-1 you rely on the full backs running forward, so Clough putting our best RB at CB has affected our potency from the right side and Moxey does this better than Roberts on the left, although Roberts was impressive v Leeds.

100% agree and it's basically the fullbacks that make this system work.. They provide the width..

If you saw the Arsenal Leeds game Sagna spent most of the game on the edge of the Leeds box out on the right hand side, and scored a cracker!

All teams that play 4-2-3-1 have to have fast and fit fullbacks.

Man Utd (Evra and Rafael) Arsenal (Sagna and Clichy) Spurs (Hutton and Ekoutto) Chelsea (Bosingwa and Cole) Barca (Alves and Abedal) Real Madrid (Ramos and Marcel)..

I know I've just mentioned the world class teams but they all have pacy fullbacks. We have that in Moxey and Brayford..

So why on earth Clough plays Green and Roberts at fullback is beyond belief. Even if Moxey is injured, Pearson offers more pace than Roberts. I don't even need to get started on Brayford, who IMO, is up there with the best attacking fullbacks in the league.

Archived