eBay Help

Day

Right, heres the problem

I sold a set of headphones on eBay on the 8th Jan for £40, nothing wrong with them perfect condition.

Sent them by Royal Mail 1st Class Signed For.

Just now I have had a message from the buyer claiming they are damaged, this is the exact message:

I picked up the head phones from my local post depot today as i wasn't at home when they arrived in the week.

When I opened the bag the headset was packed in, the right hand ear speaker was broken away from the main headband and only attatched by the thin cable, i have tried to push them back together but they just will not hold firm, a friend came around to check them out and he confirmed there was some kind of breakage between where the right hand ear speaker is joined to metal head band, looking at the left speaker set up there is a joint where the speaker rotates about 90 degrees, this is where the problem is. Please advise as the head set is unusable in this codition as they do not stay on your head.

Now I have 100% feedback and I always always pack the items with loads of bubble wrap, the only way this kind of damage could be done is if they were proper bashed about by Royal Mail although I just don't see it. I reckon the guy has smashed them within the first week and thought he'd try it on for a refund.

Heres the pic on the listing, wish I had took more now

257..us/img257/5044/82438340

Where do I stand on all this, I mean that kind of damage must have been done in transit like I say so the packaging would be smashed up surely? as he would of had to sign for the package you would of said something and check the contents then right?

I've asked him this and also for pics with the damage, can see my first negative feedback now grrrr

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think to keep your 100% you probably will have to give a refund and take the hit. Its not impossible he's telling the truth.

What date did he sign for it and when did he say it was broken? I think the signature is supposed to say that its been accepted (which is why I always sign "unexamined", so you have some comeback) - but its likely to affect your rating. That said, 1 negative out of how many, will it matter?

i think you or buyer can claim against the post office for goods up to £32 or something like that.

the cost of postage can't be reclaimed tho.

just agree who will submit the claim

GBoro: He said he picked them up today, so I presume he's signed for them today. I've got 240 now, just seems **** that I would have to pay back £40 and have a set of smashed headphones in return.

Dav: The missus says she will have the receipt at the shop as we would of filed it under the expenses. I've got another receipt here from a signed for and at the bottom it says:

We do not pay compensation for money, jewellery or valuables sent by Recorded Signed For

And yup was paid for by Paypal.

Mmmm, bad luck there Daveo.

Have you checked out the guys feedback status? If he's got a few negatives he may be trying to pull a fast one, if not, chances are he may be genuine and you may have to offer a refund as a goodwill gesture, minus postage costs.

If not, your 100% may take a hit - but you could explain as a response everything you did re packing them and that transit was the problem, for which you can't do anything about.

Mmmm, bad luck there Daveo.

Have you checked out the guys feedback status? If he's got a few negatives he may be trying to pull a fast one, if not, chances are he may be genuine and you may have to offer a refund as a goodwill gesture, minus postage costs.

If not, your 100% may take a hit - but you could explain as a response everything you did re packing them and that transit was the problem, for which you can't do anything about.

His feedback is 100%, the problem is ebay won't allow sellers to give negative feedback, so even if he pulled a fast one and told me he was ripping me off I couldn't leave him crap feedback, another great idea by eBay grrrr.

I've ordered the missus to the shop to get the receipt now as you can track when it was signed for, he says he picked up today, if he hasn't and he's had them all week I think I have a scammer on me hands grrrr

dont know the ins and outs of it but even if you refuse a refund then the buyer could make a chargeback through paypal anyway, then a dispute would be raised. I dont know the ins and outs about it though.

Did you put any refund policy on your listings, I normally do to say "refunds will only be given upon return of faulty products"

we've had this before well similar. we ask them to post them back and once received a full refund will be issued, we then contacted royal mail and filed a compensation claim for lost post and got a relative to be the recipient

I sent it Signed For so he would have had to sign for it at the sorting office as he reckons he wasn't at home the day it arrived.

I didn't write owt in the refund policy, never do :frown:

Missus has gone to get the receipt now, if he's signed for them today will issue a refund once I've got them back, and see if Royal Mail will do owt. If he's telling porkies I'l leave it to eBay/Paypal dispute.

Sodding eBay grrrr

Archived