Ratings v Norwich

Wilko

Id rather die then have grant holt. Having howard back would just be a dream. his wages must be alot now though.

Howard is too old now, he can't manage consecutive matches.

Grant Holt would be fantastic to have here, but there's no way Norwich would sell him.

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I hope you're aware that Callum Ball probably wouldn't cut it in the conference at this point in his career.

thats I said near the end of the games. e would get the smallest taste while also developing in training and reserve games. It like the most simple thing that managers use and it seems to work.

thats I said near the end of the games. e would get the smallest taste while also developing in training and reserve games. It like the most simple thing that managers use and it seems to work.

If Howard were here now he'd need to be rested like Kuqi and Savage are when they play consecutive games, and you can't just throw a youngster on who will make no impact on the game.

So you rather him sit on the bench, may get the odd 5 - 10 mins here and there than playing matches for the youth team? Because they play on Saturday mornings, and as far am aware if you have any involvement in youth games you can't play for the 1st team that day or maybe that weekend.

So you rather him sit on the bench, may get the odd 5 - 10 mins here and there than playing matches for the youth team? Because they play on Saturday mornings, and as far am aware if you have any involvement in youth games you can't play for the 1st team that day or maybe that weekend.

Where does it say youth games on there?????????????? RESERVE. games are spread apart and not played on the same day as matches.

Where does it say youth games on there?????????????? RESERVE. games are spread apart and not played on the same day as matches.

Your missing my point, i am saying he can't play for the youth team if he is involved in the 1st team. Surly playing 90 mins for the under 19 has to be more for his learning process than maybe getting 5 mins in the 1st team

I don't go along with all this 'resting' of players.....its all load of old ********....especially 16 games into a season.

They get slower and you run the risk of burning the player out and getting them injured/losing form.

Players do need to be rested, football is far quicker than it used to be, you can't just keep playing 90 minutes of football every 3-4 days.

They get slower and you run the risk of burning the player out and getting them injured/losing form.

Players do need to be rested, football is far quicker than it used to be, you can't just keep playing 90 minutes of football every 3-4 days.

Not only that, but the modern footballer's body is constantly being used at 90% capacity. A few decades ago you could even get away with a drink the day before a game.

Paolo di Canio said that the staff at West Ham treated him to steak and chips just 3 hours before his debut. He was absolutely staggered. It shows how much the English game has caught up even in that time.

And didn't Brian Clough get one of his Forest sides absolutely hammered then night before a League Cup final which they won 5-3 or something?

If I was getting paid £10,000 per week . (Essentially £5,000 for one match in some instances) then I'd certainly find a way.

And didn't Brian Clough get one of his Forest sides absolutely hammered then night before a League Cup final which they won 5-3 or something?

I think be brought in a tray of beers and said that no-one was leaving until everyone had drank a glass (it may have been wine now I think about it).

He actually made someone wake Archie Gemmil up and they sat for hours until Archie would drink a glass, as he was being stubborn.

If I was getting paid £10,000 per week . (Essentially £5,000 for one match in some instances) then I'd certainly find a way.

Don't get me wrong, they can play, during the summer i'd play full matches all week if they were arranged, but their form suffers and you generally need to keep them at the top of their game.

If a player is even slightly off his game, you can instantly tell. At 35 at this level, they'd become slower, and break down at some point during the busy schedule.

Yes, you might, but it doesn't stop your team-mates who are also paid that amount who haven't played much from having fresher legs than you does it...

How much the players are paid is irrelevant. It comes down to the manager getting the best out of the players at his disposal and unfortunately as you get older your body doesn't work as well as it used and in your thirty's for a footballer its hard to train all week and play three high paced competetive games.

I'm sure savage kuqi Howard and any other older player wants to play every second of every game, savage even said this when he was dropped, it's is the managers decision to decide who is best for the game and fitness certainly comes into it, not just abilty or the players wage.

no offence but .....******.....rubbish....its a myth.

this is the championship on good pitches with a lightweight ball.

they rest between matches....and we are 16 games into a season.

And these guys are fit....or should be.

All this chopping and changing is more disruptive than a few older heads maybe coming off with 15 mins to go.

Savages fitness record is excellent. He doesnt get pulled hamstrings, and he's a better player for using his head and not charging around.

And Kuqi is a big fit bugger who is dying to play matches.

Dave Mackay wasnt rested. he played in 6" of mud week in week out and won the national Player of the Year Award at 36 - 37 years of age.

And we won the League with a squad of 15? We used to tear into teams and tear them to shreds for the first 20-25 mins. It couldnt get faster than that.

Its tosh...just an excuse to tinker.

no offence but .....******.....rubbish....its a myth.

this is the championship on good pitches with a lightweight ball.

they rest between matches....and we are 16 games into a season.

And these guys are fit....or should be.

All this chopping and changing is more disruptive than a few older heads maybe coming off with 15 mins to go.

Savages fitness record is excellent. He doesnt get pulled hamstrings, and he's a better player for using his head and not charging around.

And Kuqi is a big fit bugger who is dying to play matches.

Dave Mackay wasnt rested. he played in 6" of mud week in week out and won the national Player of the Year Award at 36 - 37 years of age.

And we won the League with a squad of 15? We used to tear into teams and tear them to shreds for the first 20-25 mins. It couldnt get faster than that.

Its tosh...just an excuse to tinker.

The football just wasn't as quick back then as it is now, many ex professionals have said this.

It isn't a myth, as I don't think Nigel is fooled by 'myths'. Kuqi couldn't manage 3 games in eight days and be expected to perform as well as he usually does. He'd be a yard or so short on everything, and he'd be getting tired earlier and earlier in games until you came to the point where he was already flagging at the end of afirst half in a game at some point.

And yes, Savages fitness is good generally, but if you'd have read reports on the Swansea game he was already out on his feet by the 60th minute, he'd not been rested enough. If we keep playing him for 90 minutes, he will get injured, and he won't be anywhere near as effective as usual.

The all respect to the players of yesteryear, and no doubting their footballing minds or skill, but fitness levels of not just the modern footballer but the modern sportsman is just another level.

They are more athletes nowadays and emphasis is on fitness and being on top of your game 100% of the time. Now with all due respect to Dave mckay, when his fitness would come into question so would his oppositions so his skill would shine.

There isn't room today for 95% because they will be punished for it that's why unfortunately I do agree that the older players may not so much need 'resting' but definitely 'rotating'

Archived