Student Protests - Cavalry Charge Vid

Alex W

Q. Why do we have the minimum wage, Young Ram? A. The EU.

Q. What is the EU? A. The ultimate in collectivist ambition, in my opinion - controlling everything, accountable to no-one, year after year they can't produce their own set of auditable accounts and yet able to dictate to member states how they should be running their economies..... If the EU were a UK based business it would have been shut down years ago.....

Just for clarity - Am I anti-EU? Well, the EU as it is, yes, definitely.

P.S. You can be as forceful with your opinions as you like, YR, no problem to me if someone actually cares about what they're saying.... :)

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

As an ex-student and now a fully fledged taxpayer I have no sympathy at all for what the students are protesting over.

Yes the fees have gone up. But the wage at which it is paid back has also gone up £21000 is the new repayment threshold. The amount paid back is less. The current students are not going to pay any extra. Nothing is paid up front. In fact the students havent had any money taken away from them, the state will pay more and ask for repayment at better terms.

Council tennants

Single earner families earning over 43,000 (yet a couple who earns more dont lose child benefit) going to be losing a lot more than students but are they protesting?

Students are not the only ones being effected, and they are not the poorest members of society either.

Daveo downing street wouldn't listen to it and wouldn't take notice, I may be walking out on wednesday in protest, people feel robbed and hard done by so they take to the streets which is a fair and reasonable course of action. Screw Camerons big society

I can see you're a bit upset about this whole thing young ram but when it comes to cuts and having to pay more for stuff, the students are not alone in this.

Last week at the Reebok stadium policemen and office staff were told their jobs had gone, just like that. They weren't given notice and basically picked up their P45 at the door. Now that's tough 5 weeks before Christmas. Do they protest? No, they just get on with it because no amount of protesting will get the folk in Whitehall to change their minds, no matter how much they scream and holler.

People are losing their jobs left, right and centre. It's all very unfair and everything but students are finding out what it's like in the big, bad, grown up world.

It's tough yes - but there it is.

People are losing their jobs left, right and centre. It's all very unfair and everything but students are finding out what it's like in the big, bad, grown up world.

So being in £30,000-£50,000 of debt after three years (off of a relatively small income) is just "how it happens" and affects everyone in the "big, bad, grown up world"?

Sorry, but you could not have put that in a more patronising way.

Back on topic, quite a shocking video. Obviously the officers are just doing their jobs, it's the higher power to which these charge decisions are made.

Particularly bad with the young, injured lad. Probably just got caught up in it like many.

I didn't mean it to sound patronising - so sorry that you thought otherwise

It is unfair, that's why I said it. If I wanted to be patronising, I could have put a hell of a lot worse than that. As it is, I think it sucks and I believe I've said so in a different thread.

I wish all students - and I have one in my family, the best of luck - but I can't see it changing somehow.

The big, bad, grown up world I speak of is when you've got a mortgage to pay but can't afford it because you haven't a job to pay for it with, having been made redundant.

big, bad, grown up world I speak of is when you've got a mortgage to pay but can't afford it because you haven't a job to pay for it with, having been made redundant.

Or your off work for 2 and a half years with a mashed up leg going from comfortable to no income and nearly losing our house:frown:

I didn't mean it to sound patronising - so sorry that you thought otherwise

It is unfair, that's why I said it. If I wanted to be patronising, I could have put a hell of a lot worse than that. As it is, I think it sucks and I believe I've said so in a different thread.

I wish all students - and I have one in my family, the best of luck - but I can't see it changing somehow.

The big, bad, grown up world I speak of is when you've got a mortgage to pay but can't afford it because you haven't a job to pay for it with, having been made redundant.

Yeh, no worries. I suspected you meant no harm :)

Everyone seems to be affetced by the sunject in some way, certainly makes for interesting conversation!

At the end of the day students are not going to see money disappearing out of their pockets as a result of the changes.

Many households are going to lose at least £2000 a year disappear out of their income as a result of changes to child benefit and tax credits.

On top of this council tennants are going to see an increase in rent.

Council tenants face eviction if they get pay rises.

As I said earlier students will not lose any money up front. Yes loans willbe higher but the cost of education has gone up but the fees charged had been frozen.

The poorest students will repay less per month than now.

Some will repay less in total than theydo now.

Nothing will be repaid until 21k is earned per year.

Add to that if a student works while at Uni they pay no tax, so they are already better off than non-students

Why should students be immune to the pain caused by the cuts. These cuts impose a penalty for students in the future. Repaid at a time when they are able to repay it.

Or your off work for 2 and a half years with a mashed up leg going from comfortable to no income and nearly losing our house:frown:

That's bad froggg, life certainly has a way of jumping up and biting us all on the arse sometimes doesn't it?

Hope things improve for you soon! :)

Ah well, there should be a few less students protesting in future, now that the Welsh Assembly has announced they'll cover any fees increases for Welsh students, irrespective of where in the UK they choose to study. So it'll just be English graduates who're saddled with vast debts for their working lives...

I personally think that we should let Wales and Scotland have full powers in relation to raing their own taxes, but at the same time stop all funding from Westminster - give them independance and stop subsidising them.

I know that there are plans to do part of this in Scotland - give them tax powers and reduce the block grant. Wonder how long it will take for them to ask for more money?

Total fiscal independence for Wales and Scotland will never happen. Westminster/EU could not risk it in case they developed a form of community based government that put their own people's jobs and well-being in front of global finance.

Look at free prescription charges and free hospital parking in Scotland and Wales, just as we are gearing up to privatise the rest of the the NHS. They cannot be trusted!

That's why they gave them a bit of independence, to keep them "on message".

Its the reason Ireland has to be bailed out.

Its the reason we have been allowed to keep sterling yet remain part of the EU in every other way.

Independent countries are the biggest danger to the International money markets - god forbid if people ever became more important than the interests of the stock exchanges of this world.

Free parking in Scottish hospitals? When was that introduced Uttox?

Our youngest was born at St. Johns at Livingston in the Lothians in 2004 and I distinctly remember Dav having to scramble to put a bob in the metre that day.

Wish they'd had free parking then, it would have saved a bit of hassle.

On a different note, car park charges for hospitals here are a blatant, utter rip off.

Archived