Student Protests - Cavalry Charge Vid

Alex W

Thought i'd post this, it's a link to a video of the cavalry charge that the police used against the protesters at Whitehall (If a mod can change that to the actual video to watch on here that'd be great, too tired to look it up):

It's really bad, apparently they charged some sitting protesters and trampled on 3 people! Could have easily killed someone, I can't believe the force they used.

And this is against a peaceful area, none of the trouble makers were in this part of London, the violence and damaging of property was locked down somewhere else.

Anyone else think that charge was bad?

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I remember the anti-fascist demo's in the 90s, police would use the kettling tactic to bottle up the protest, keep everyone in the same place for hours. Eventually after 3 hours of not being allowed to move, trouble starts, police get to enjoy a bit of charging people and battering people with their nice big sticks.

They know exactly what they're doing, enjoy a good fight, and make sure they get one. And everyone blames the protesters.

To be honest, on a comparrison to the beatings the miners took, this is really tame.

At the end of the day, these kinds of protests are never going to be pretty so people should know what to expect and the police are doing their jobs.

My nephew is at Sheff Uni and he stayed away from it all because he said half the students are just going to see what mischief they can create. The same reason as why loads of school kids go, just to get on camera.

Why not go another route? Get loads of signatures and deliver them to Downing Street in the correct manner? Then all of this might be avoided.

If I protested at everything that is unfair with today's society, I'd never be off the streets.

Its the same type of infantile, panic decisions that killed the 96 at Hillsborough. The police top brass never learn. Absolute idiots.

These "tacticians" are supposed to be professional, intelligent Public Servants.

I guess its a human failing to act like robocop on acid when given the power but jeez, where's the common sense?

fans that stormed the ground without tickets killed 96 people at Hillsbrough,not the police.They created their own tragedy.To compare that with a student protest is ridiculous.

couldnt agree more to be honest always said that and people get there backs up about it .

A bit of a note on what was happening there:

Thos protesters weren't part of the violence that happened earlier in the day, they had been cordoned off so as to not get them caught up in it all.

At that point the protests were scheduled for another hour, and yet the police made them start shutting things down. Add to that the protesters had been split up from family, quite a few had lost their belongings in the whole thing and so were trying to get back the other way.

The police attitude was ridiculous there, could easily have killed someone.

A bit of a note on what was happening there:

Thos protesters weren't part of the violence that happened earlier in the day, they had been cordoned off so as to not get them caught up in it all.

At that point the protests were scheduled for another hour, and yet the police made them start shutting things down. Add to that the protesters had been split up from family, quite a few had lost their belongings in the whole thing and so were trying to get back the other way.

The police attitude was ridiculous there, could easily have killed someone.

Meant to say "A few of the protesters had been split up from their families", typo :redface:

Meant to say "A few of the protesters had been split up from their families", typo :redface:

if you go on a protest and it kicks off with a small minority then you have to decide - do i stay with these people or do the decent thing and go?

those that stayed and protested deserved what they get, and well done to the police for taking no sh1te off the protesters.

if you go on a protest and it kicks off with a small minority then you have to decide - do i stay with these people or do the decent thing and go?

those that stayed and protested deserved what they get, and well done to the police for taking no sh1te off the protesters.

So you mean to say that if 100 people kick off, then the entire thing should be called off? Protests would never get off the ground!

The police should know when to use and when not to use tactics like this, had it been against the students who were damaging things I may have been able to understand it, however it wasn't.

They charged at a group of sitting protesters, and protesters who weren't being any trouble at all. Hence the reactions of the people there. It was an incredibly stupid thing to do, and I hope they at the very least are suspended for a while for it. (Which they won't be, the police will always cover for their own)

So you mean to say that if 100 people kick off, then the entire thing should be called off? Protests would never get off the ground!

The police should know when to use and when not to use tactics like this, had it been against the students who were damaging things I may have been able to understand it, however it wasn't.

They charged at a group of sitting protesters, and protesters who weren't being any trouble at all. Hence the reactions of the people there. It was an incredibly stupid thing to do, and I hope they at the very least are suspended for a while for it. (Which they won't be, the police will always cover for their own)

the police are quite within thier rights to do what ever it takes to maintain LAW AND ORDER, sorry but ive got no sympathy at all for these students at all.

the police are quite within thier rights to do what ever it takes to maintain LAW AND ORDER, sorry but ive got no sympathy at all for these students at all.

There WAS Law and Order! That's the point! There was nothing going on there, they were just protesting. No violence, no nothing. And yet they charged.

Do you condone that? It was needless, and very dangerous.

There WAS Law and Order! That's the point! There was nothing going on there, they were just protesting. No violence, no nothing. And yet they charged.

Do you condone that? It was needless, and very dangerous.

really?

did you read that in a uni mag?

or did you just watch the edited version on you tube and come to that conclusion?

still dont change my mind , protests that turn sour should be dispersed as fast as possible as to maintain safety for the majority.

peace and respect and all that.

really?

did you read that in a uni mag?

or did you just watch the edited version on you tube and come to that conclusion?

still dont change my mind , protests that turn sour should be dispersed as fast as possible as to maintain safety for the majority.

peace and respect and all that.

Considering that footage isn't edited, and the fact that those protesters had done nothing wrong is common knowledge (even reported on Channel 4 news that they were peaceful) i'd say the story is pretty clear there.

I don't know how someone can condone those actions. Those protests hadn't turned sour at all, the police were way over the top.

the police dont charge for nothing alex, as your quote above says 100

thats more than enough to cause mayhem, most of the people that turned up were aware of what could of happened and therefore face the consequences.

the police imo did the right thing ,maybe 1 small criticism they should have done it sooner and saved the honest hard working taxpayers some money!

The police DID charge for nothing, I have already said that these protesters (as in this entire group) had absoloutely nothing to do with the other violence that happened, these were an entirely different group. They had shown nothing at all to warrant any sort of reaction from the police, nevermind a cavalry charge.

So if 50 people turn violent at a football match, do you ban the entire stadium full of fans? Same principle.

The police DID charge for nothing, I have already said that these protesters (as in this entire group) had absoloutely nothing to do with the other violence that happened, these were an entirely different group. They had shown nothing at all to warrant any sort of reaction from the police, nevermind a cavalry charge.

So if 50 people turn violent at a football match, do you ban the entire stadium full of fans? Same principle.

are the police aware that these are peaceful protestors?

how do they differ from the scum that caused the trouble?

why were they loitering around when they had been asked to move on?

why were they trying to hide behind walls when the police approached?

if they would have done what they were asked in the 1st place then maybe this crap would not happen,

the police have a hard enough job without having to deal with this sort of crap.

sorry alex im firmly with the police on this 1,

to some of the uni student this might be a great giggle , but to people who actually work and pay taxes then its a different kettle of fish m8.

Archived