We are 2/3 players short..

HAZ

of being a top championship team IMO. We need to get a prolific front man in January, Moore and especially Kuqi have done fairly well but both are not the long term answer. If Porter and Davies were available for the majority of the season then i'd say loans like Kuqi and Moore are fine but it's obvious that they both have big injury problems. Another defensive Mid would be good to save Greeny hving to drop back there when Savage is tired. The board need to give Nige a bit of cash and let him bring in another couple of gems.

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Agree that we need a top striker, but Nigel said that there will be no cash in January so it looks like we might have to wait for a cheaper option in the summer.

of being a top championship team IMO. We need to get a prolific front man in January, Moore and especially Kuqi have done fairly well but both are not the long term answer. If Porter and Davies were available for the majority of the season then i'd say loans like Kuqi and Moore are fine but it's obvious that they both have big injury problems. Another defensive Mid would be good to save Greeny hving to drop back there when Savage is tired. The board need to give Nige a bit of cash and let him bring in another couple of gems.

Agree with that assesment we need a younger Savage and a younger Hulse type player. Don't think either will come cheap.

I think anyone who has seen Addison play will agree with this appraisal.

I think he's perfect for both, as long as we don't expect too much passing from him defensively. He can do what Savage used to, run around and win the ball back to give it to the better players.

And while we have more than capable centre backs anyway, it's the best place for him.

Agree with Alex about Addison. Just try him in DM to win the ball. Leave the hollywood passing to Bailey and co.

I've always thought we're about 2-3 signings (and then just experience) from being the best team in this division.

A striker of our own obviously, i agree a young Hulse/Howard/Bothroyd striker. Working for the good of the team and can be judged on his performance rather than goal record.

If Addison can't fit in at DM then we need a ball winner. Some one strong that can break up play and win 50/50's.

The sooner these happen the better. Then it'll all be down to experience. The promising thing is that Nigel feels we have enough youthful enthusiasm and now had indicated we'll only be looking to bring in experienced players. I think most fans would call that spot on.

The idea of Addison fitting in at DM and winning headers in midfield (which we never do) and win some 50/50s is as exciting as any new signing. We're a team full of footballers but when we come up against a scrappers we tend to lose out. But Nigels words were "we'll try him in both" (CB & DM).

Agree with Alex about Addison. Just try him in DM to win the ball. Leave the hollywood passing to Bailey and co.

I've always thought we're about 2-3 signings (and then just experience) from being the best team in this division.

A striker of our own obviously, i agree a young Hulse/Howard/Bothroyd striker. Working for the good of the team and can be judged on his performance rather than goal record.

If Addison can't fit in at DM then we need a ball winner. Some one strong that can break up play and win 50/50's.

The sooner these happen the better. Then it'll all be down to experience. The promising thing is that Nigel feels we have enough youthful enthusiasm and now had indicated we'll only be looking to bring in experienced players. I think most fans would call that spot on.

The idea of Addison fitting in at DM and winning headers in midfield (which we never do) and win some 50/50s is as exciting as any new signing. We're a team full of footballers but when we come up against a scrappers we tend to lose out. But Nigels words were "we'll try him in both" (CB & DM).

Very good summary

There's some wide-held belief that Addison's no use for anything other than the physical side of his game.

The lad can really carry the ball at pace and that's great for counter attacking; he's shown composure before with his goal against Sheff Weds 2 years ago; and he's no worse than Savage at passing.

There's some wide-held belief that Addison's no use for anything other than the physical side of his game.

The lad can really carry the ball at pace and that's great for counter attacking; he's shown composure before with his goal against Sheff Weds 2 years ago; and he's no worse than Savage at passing.

He can run with it at pace, which is a good thing and we all know he can (or atleast we all should) as he did it frequently during PJs reign.

He will grab the odd goal which is all good. I don't think his passing is as good as Savages though, Savage is actually very good with passing. Addison is alright but I wouldn't expect him to manage a few of the balls that Savage has done this season to create goals (Against, Coventry, Watford etc)

He can run with it at pace, which is a good thing and we all know he can (or atleast we all should) as he did it frequently during PJs reign.

He will grab the odd goal which is all good. I don't think his passing is as good as Savages though, Savage is actually very good with passing. Addison is alright but I wouldn't expect him to manage a few of the balls that Savage has done this season to create goals (Against, Coventry, Watford etc)

Agreed, Savage makes some great passing, I was complimenting Addison. As you say, he may be short of some of Savage's precision cross-field balls, but Miles adds something different...

Addison doesn't have any great sense of vision, but he's very good and consistent at making the right pass at the right time; if there's a man in space, Miles will find him.

Paul Green's weakness is that he's useless when he's given time to think about things. He thrives off a fast-paced game, but it doesn't seem to matter with Addison, and that's what makes him an asset for me.

Focusing just on the bold bits.

Not sure if you’re referring here to what NC said after the Ipswich game or not. He wasn’t indicating that he was looking to bring in new experienced players. He was talking about the need to bring back established players. He specifically mentioned Porter and Davies.

Sounded to me like Plan A is to expect Davies and Porter to come good eventually. That doesn’t suggest we should be expecting a new striker to be signed anytime soon. Of course if Davies and Porter don’t come good then I guess he’ll have to move on to Plan B (more loans at first and eventually some permanent signings).

Agreed, Savage makes some great passing, I was complimenting Addison. As you say, he may be short of some of Savage's precision cross-field balls, but Miles adds something different...

Addison doesn't have any great sense of vision, but he's very good and consistent at making the right pass at the right time; if there's a man in space, Miles will find him.

Paul Green's weakness is that he's useless when he's given time to think about things. He thrives off a fast-paced game, but it doesn't seem to matter with Addison, and that's what makes him an asset for me.

He does indeed add something different, while we have Barker and Leacock at Derby he'd be better suited to Savages role once Sav finishes.

He's a rock in there too, the sort of bloke i'd have in any team as a manager. A big bulldozer, who can battle and clear a way through while the more technically gifted players can concentrate on doing what they do best.

I agree with the fact that Paul Green thrives off of a quick paced game, though I think he's alright when the game slows down, hes played a few good through balls when things have closed up and hes needed to pick a pass.

Focusing just on the bold bits.

Not sure if you’re referring here to what NC said after the Ipswich game or not. He wasn’t indicating that he was looking to bring in new experienced players. He was talking about the need to bring back established players. He specifically mentioned Porter and Davies.

Sounded to me like Plan A is to expect Davies and Porter to come good eventually. That doesn’t suggest we should be expecting a new striker to be signed anytime soon. Of course if Davies and Porter don’t come good then I guess he’ll have to move on to Plan B (more loans at first and eventually some permanent signings).

Just listened to that interview again and your completely right. He's talking about players we already have coming back and adding their experience.

Well i wouldn't call Davies very experienced tbh. And a lot of people have doubts about Porter's entire career now. Feel sorry for Porter tbh.

Looking forward to having some of our tougher lads back. With Addison back we can look at the possibility of maybe playing Leacock in DM? Also Leacock looks ok at RB so it means Green wont have to cover and can get on with what he does best should Brayford miss a game. Anderson is a good proffesional and Buxton isn't shy in the tackle.

When we offload Varney i'm hoping Nigel gets some funds. Something has to give sooner or later with Croft too.

porter and davies probablly wont come back for a long period of time in their careers, they are too injury prone and should be let go to stop us deluding ourselves that they will be fit. I think deano would be good in dm with addison at cb, addison in this divison can get away with not being the paciest if he has good positioning and deano can pass really well.

Archived