The 2024 Motorsports Thread

LANDO!

Pole for Norris ahead of the Verstappen, then Piastri, Russell, a not exactly saving his job but at least didn't s*** the bed  Perez, Leclerc, Fernando, ALEX ALBON!!!, Stroll and Gasly.

Bad day for both Sainz and Lewis going out in Q2 and the guy keeping Checo in his job Danny Ric, going out in Q1 whist his "never considered for the red bull seat" team mate sails into Q2.

Looks like a blustery old time over in Zandvoort so hopefully there'll but fun chaos tomorrow.

On 20/08/2024 at 14:05, roboto said:

I get that, but some of the drafts I’ve seen of people trying to explain how a possible system might work and how much effect it may or may not have had don’t seem to make sense.

This years red bull seems to have dropped off a cliff performance wise. Is it just a brake regulation that has allowed this or have other teams used their development time to catch up to RB while they’ve been focussing too much on future seasons?

Look back at McLaren when they invented the concept with Hakkinen and Coulthard driving. The lapped the idea field.

when you can eliminate understear you can reduce downforce and increase top speed on straights on fast corners 

15 hours ago, RadioactiveWaste said:

LANDO!

Pole for Norris ahead of the Verstappen, then Piastri, Russell, a not exactly saving his job but at least didn't s*** the bed  Perez, Leclerc, Fernando, ALEX ALBON!!!, Stroll and Gasly.

Bad day for both Sainz and Lewis going out in Q2 and the guy keeping Checo in his job Danny Ric, going out in Q1 whist his "never considered for the red bull seat" team mate sails into Q2.

Looks like a blustery old time over in Zandvoort so hopefully there'll but fun chaos tomorrow.

Let’s hope he can get a decent start and Pistri can give Verstappen nowhere to go into turn 1

Nice one Lando.

Max P2 and Leclerc ahead of piastri.

5. Sainz, 6. Perez, 7. Russell, 8. Hamilton, 9. GASLY , 10. Alonso.

McLaren gain on red bull in the constructor and Norris closes the gap slightly on max.

However what was really pleasing was the margin of victory. In front of the bulk purchases of orange flares to boot. P2, on your big day out...

On 24/08/2024 at 11:25, Gaspode said:

In shock news Sargeant has crashed in practice (again!) - someone needs to tell him that he's not cut out to be a racing driver.....

Imagine waiting for the bus to a game and the doors open and he's behind the wheel...

Taxi!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

On 24/08/2024 at 13:16, Gaspode said:

I dread to think how many millions he's cost them with needless crashes....

On 24/08/2024 at 15:03, RadioactiveWaste said:

more than the odd dime I'd have thought.

My pal who is a mould maker for carbon fibre elements says the front and back wings alone cost well over £200k. He reckoned a gearbox costs twice that on it's own 🤯

I only saw highlights. Which there didn’t seem to be much of. 
My Maxie baby under pressure now, isn’t he? Oh dear. The mandatory overtime will be enforced, Jos will be demanding that heads roll. Christian will need Geri and the kids to gather around him at the difficult time. No time for his daughter to be showing him her paintings, not while my Maxie isn’t winning. 

Then as McLaren take top spot we’ll find it hard not to laugh as Perez has that genuine confused and bewildered look on his face trying to explain why he narrowly lost to Gasly or Ocon. 

All this pent up frustration makes me want to lash out or send an inappropriate text to a colleague. C’mon Darth Marko! Use your powers! 

Logan had to go, but as I saw someone say replacing a mid performing F2 driver with a mid-performing F2 driver is hardly the tonic Williams need when there's both Mick Schumacher and Liam Lawson potentially available.

Seems a weird choice, but I understand Colapinto is part of the Williams driver program and it may have been other things were involved that put a stop to LL or MS getting the drive (Mick is doing WEC i think and RB were probably putting daft conditions on Lawson).

On 27/08/2024 at 22:17, RadioactiveWaste said:

Logan had to go, but as I saw someone say replacing a mid performing F2 driver with a mid-performing F2 driver is hardly the tonic Williams need when there's both Mick Schumacher and Liam Lawson potentially available.

Seems a weird choice, but I understand Colapinto is part of the Williams driver program and it may have been other things were involved that put a stop to LL or MS getting the drive (Mick is doing WEC i think and RB were probably putting daft conditions on Lawson).

Has Lawson wronged somebody off track?

With some of the bumper car drivers we’ve had in recent years and the fact that the market is so active he’s desperately unlucky

2 hours ago, Alph said:

Has Lawson wronged somebody off track?

With some of the bumper car drivers we’ve had in recent years and the fact that the market is so active he’s desperately unlucky

Apparently the sticking point was red bull wanted to be able to have in back at any time they like for the if/when they sack Checo.

There's also probably a Williams asserting their independence involved.

Monza Qualifying:

McLaren 1-2, Lando then Oscar, then Georgey boy, leclerc, sainz, hamilton................then the red bulls 😄 

Hopefully starting that far back will give Max a chance to revisit his "torpedoed by the young dutchman" days and see a lap one retirement from the verstappen. It'd be even better if somehow Checo could manage to be the other part of that (although all i really want is Max retirement or two to make the drivers title interesting).

Albon got ahead of hulkenberg for the midfield bragging rights.

Colopinto did OK considering, yes he was way off Albon in Q1, but unlike his predecessor, when he had moments he collected up the car and set a time rather than writing off a million quids worth of carbon fibre.

Danny Ric won the "why is Perez still a thing?" battle

Hopefully a fun race tomorrow.

15 minutes ago, Gaspode said:

Marc Marquez wins the MotoGP sprint race - Acosta is impressed: 

20240831_204659.jpg

When it got to the "rebreaking and turning around part of his arm to fit better" point I was thinking please retire from this for your own sake, there'll be a lot of life after MotoGP and you've already reached icon status. But, the operation has seemed to work, not being on a death trap of a honda and yes he looks like he'll win races and no doubt when he's in the factory team he's going to challenge pecco for the title.

The will to go through what these guys go through astounds me.