Oppo midfielders running the show

LN747

23 hours ago, LN747 said:

Surely we could have picked up some swift creative midfielder over the summer, the amount I’ve seen who seem to control games when they play us….?

If we go with the premise that Warneball is just a matter of lumping the ball as high and as long as possible, why do we need a midfield.

But if we don't go with that premise and we do require a midfield, then we do need players capable of competing with the opposition midfielders.

While the opposition midfielders may be swift, I do think many of them lack any great level of creativity. Unfortunately what many of these opposition players do have, is more physicality in winning the ball and the willingness to move into space to receive the ball, than some of our own midfield are presently able to muster.

I believe Warne has the players needed to make our midfield, which includes the wide players be they wingers or wing-backs, into a competitive unit. Before he can achieve this, he just needs for them to all be fully fit.

The biggest disappointment for me has been Hourihane, with the experience he has playing at this and a lot higher level, I thought he would dominate games from the centre of the park. But for me it seems to be the opposite, his first 3 passes on Saturday were launched 40 feet up in the air and he’s supposed to be our creative midfielder. I didn’t expect him having the pace or physicality but did expect him demanding the ball and running games, instead of going missing half the time. Is he just well past his best or maybe not buying into how Warne wants him to play, or even doesn’t no how he wants him to play?

2 minutes ago, BaianoPOTY98 said:

The biggest disappointment for me has been Hourihane, with the experience he has playing at this and a lot higher level, I thought he would dominate games from the centre of the park. But for me it seems to be the opposite, his first 3 passes on Saturday were launched 40 feet up in the air and he’s supposed to be our creative midfielder. I didn’t expect him having the pace or physicality but did expect him demanding the ball and running games, instead of going missing half the time. Is he just well past his best or maybe not buying into how Warne wants him to play, or even doesn’t no how he wants him to play?

Or knows exactly how he wants him to play, which is to aim percentage balls down the channels?

4 minutes ago, BaianoPOTY98 said:

He said in the fans forum when questioned about the change from Rosenior to Warne, that (paraphrase) players needed to change their style or they wouldn't play.

So I'm sure Hourihane can do want you'd like.

I’m trying to write a bit more a long form post in the PW poll thread about pros and cons, but one of my concerns is that I’m not sure he knows what his best midfield is and he’s not made midfield signings to compliment his best player in there. What has made it worse is that Hourihane got made captain over a players vote, although Hourihane has started well this season he can’t drop him without undermining the players decision? So I think we find ourselves with a midfield like last season that is just very similar players who don’t compliment each other very well. Hoping Fornah settles down a bit and ends up being a reliable DM