England v Montenegro

Day

Capello still has the best win percentage (68.75%) and averaged the most goals per game (2.28) in modern era with his "communication problems", compare that with English speaking ex England managers.....

Glenn Hoddle 59.26%

Steve McClaren 50%

Bobby Robson 49.47%

Graham Taylor 47.37%

Terry Venables 45.83%

The majority against third rate opposition.

He also has the worst World Cup results since the DNQ under Taylor!

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Your argument was Capello's "communication problem" with the players, the fact he has won 68% of his games says that it's clearly not a problem. I don't buy into the third rate opposition either, you can only beat what's in front of you and looking at games won under previous management they are all pretty much against the same standard of teams.

http://www.englandfootballonline.com/teammgr/

Yes the World Cup was poor, but it's not fair to lay all the blame on Capello, just because we didn't agree with his tactics or selections doesn't make him a bad manager, bad managers don't win the trophies he has, 2 of which were in Spain...is he fluent in Spanish?

your right daveyboy,

you can only beat whats infront of you, montenegro proved that teams are evoling from the wilderness, so its time to do a major reshuffle imo lets not worry about the euro,s or the next world cup, lets concentrate on youth development, after all thats where the future really lies,

and im sure the up and coming youngsters would thrive with expert tuition, so what im trying to say is crapello might be ok for a quick fix(but looking at the sh1te he,s got to pick from i doubt it)

i think we are over looking a certain mr pearce who is doing ok at the under 21,s (ok i know your argument is that pearce is a german )

dont forget for an economy to thrive you have to put your faith in the goods it produces

be proud to be english!

I watched England U21's draw 0-0 against Romaina and not one of them in the squad has played more than 50 Premiership games, the keeper that we are looking at Fielding is Blackburn's number 3 keeper and only played as high as League One, up front they had Sturridge who gets the odd 5 mins at Chelsea.

Youth development is down to club managers, if clubs are not playing these yougsters how can you expect the England manager to pick them?

Capello is picking the best players we have available at the moment, some probably in the squad by name and not form but with injuries we're struggling at the moment. If he started picking these youngsters with no Premiership experience, losing and missing out on the Euro's everyone would be on his back again.

Youth development is down to club managers, if clubs are not playing these yougsters how can you expect the England manager to pick them?

then its about time that these players were sent to a full time academy , with a claw back clause from the club, this would enable the promising youngsters to collectively train with like minded english players,

where the emphasis would solely be on training , diets , health etc,

whilst its no good for any of these players being sat on a bench because some bosman free signing walks straight into the club, i do believe that the only way forward is to restart(my opinion)

surely these mega rich clubs would not mind thier young ens to develop even further?

after all if you work and train together then there is a bond being formed for the future.

Academies can only do so much, you can't get match experience from having a kick around each day with other youngsters. They need time on the pitch in the Premiership, with the pressures on managers now they haven't or don't feel they have the time to bring a youngster through the ranks anymore.

Owners, Chairmen and fans want immediate success, young English players command decent fees so clubs look for cheaper options abroad. That's football in 2010 and no matter what we think about it we've got to live with it or take up Netball.

Academies can only do so much, you can't get match experience from having a kick around each day with other youngsters. They need time on the pitch in the Premiership, with the pressures on managers now they haven't or don't feel they have the time to bring a youngster through the ranks anymore.

they wouldnt have to worry about bringing them through the ranks as the acadamy would be a full time position for them unless claw back clause used,they could fine tune on all the technical side of things, making them fully fit and ready if the club requires them back, they would have a professional concentating on thier development full time ,

imo it makes sense, as for matches there would be endless opportunities for them to play behind closed doors,

also every youngster that actually wants to suceed would be banging on the gaffers door to beg them to let them go to the accadamy,

surely chairman , owners fans etc would be willing to take a look at the bigger picture and think ok in 4-5 years time we might just get some success instead of wating millions on jonny foreigners who only come over for the $$$ and spend most of the time looking for deals behind the clubs backs and feigning injuries.

take our club for instance!

I couldn't care less about them.

England are supposed to represent their country. How does a footballer who earns £120,000 a week represent me? They are in a totally different world to most people.

I like a few of them, Joe Hart seems a really decent bloke and i've always liked Steven Gerrards attitude, but I just don't care anymore about them. They proved that they didn't care in South Africa.

John Terry came out with "Of course we care about playing for England" crap, and yet he and Upson played like two 18 year olds in a pub league. Do they really give a crap? No.

I'd much rather watch the England C team, non league lads who live real lives.

what a complete load of tripe.....do you think that Ronaldo doesn't represent the people of Portugal or Messi does not represent the people of Argentina..? and I would guess that these (and every international player for ANY of the major countries) are all on 100K a week..what does it matter how much they earn?

And the fact you said that Joe Hart is a decent bloke, you know him do you? I am not disputing the fact that he is, but you do know him from anyone else.....and as for liking Gerrards "atitude" i am sure there are a couple of people who would argue about that with you..!!

(you are right about Terry and Upson....Terry has made a career out of playing like a pub player.)

Ok Michel, don't get too worked up. I think that Alex was merely trying to communicate that he feels neither conncetion nor empathy with the members of the current England squad as their lifestyles are so far removed from those of the ordinary population - so in that sense he is right that they don't represent the people of England on that level, and many others would share his view. But yes, in the sense that they are our national team they are our representatives within the international sporting community. Not very good ones at the moment, but they are our representatives.

what a complete load of tripe.....do you think that Ronaldo doesn't represent the people of Portugal or Messi does not represent the people of Argentina..? and I would guess that these (and every international player for ANY of the major countries) are all on 100K a week..what does it matter how much they earn?

And the fact you said that Joe Hart is a decent bloke, you know him do you? I am not disputing the fact that he is, but you do know him from anyone else.....and as for liking Gerrards "atitude" i am sure there are a couple of people who would argue about that with you..!!

(you are right about Terry and Upson....Terry has made a career out of playing like a pub player.)

Because these people are not in the real world. They kick a football around for huge amounts of money, they have no concept of a normal life. I know a few decent U18s lads who are dotted around the country, they say even then all of the players have SUV's or Jags etc.

These are not people I can relate to. I think Ronaldo and Messi play for their country, but they do not represent the people. Luckily, Messi is quite grounded and does seem a decent person from player interviews. But still, does Wayne Rooney represent me? No, does he hell as like, and i'd be embarrassed to say that he does!

My opinion of Joe Hart is from player interviews over the years, he seems like a decent bloke. I spoke to him quickly once, was nice enough to me. And you can argue it if you like, he was one of the only people for me to come out of South Africa with any respect at all.

And Terry doesn't always play like a pub footballer, you can't fluke your way into being Chelsea captain. (Tony Hibbert did do it at Everton however)

Archived