Frank Fielding signed from Blackburn Rovers 9 May 2011

Day

DERBY County are looking to sign a goalkeeper on loan following the news that Stephen Bywater is set to be out for at least four weeks.

Bywater fractured his right wrist in training last week and Saul Deeney is in line to start against Preston North End on Saturday.

But the Rams have moved to strengthen the goalkeeping department with a new face.

They are believed to be interested in Frank Fielding of Blackburn Rovers or Burnley's Lee Grant, who started his career at Derby.

Fielding, 22, is an England Under-21 international and has had loan spells at Rochdale, Leeds, Northampton and Wycombe in recent seasons.

Grant has yet to start a league game for Burnley after joining them from Sheffield Wednesday in the summer.

"We're certainly going to try to bring someone in on loan, whether that is to play instead of Saul or sit on the bench," said manager Nigel Clough.

"If we have to bring Ross Atkins back from his loan at Tamworth and play Saul, we'll do that but we've got one or two enquiries in at the moment and we're hoping to get one of them.

"We'll know more in the next two weeks but we'll go for a 28-day loan initially and then take it from there.

"We've got a very competent number two in Saul if it comes to that but I think we still need a bit of cover."

Bywater has been ever-present this season and his form has played a big part in the current four-match unbeaten run.

On Bywater's injury, Clough said: "It's just one of those freakish things that can happen in training.

"It was very innocuous. It wasn't even a save, he was just getting up off the floor and felt something in his wrist. He went off immediately and we've had it scanned and there's a small fracture in there.

"But it's the best possible news for that sort of injury.

"It could keep you out for up to three months but we're hoping to have him back in four weeks.

"It just depends on the severity of the fracture and the size and position of it.

"The advice we've had so far is that it's a good one of that kind, if there is such a thing."

Deeney's three appearances for Derby came last season when Bywater was injured.

http://www.therams.co.uk/news/Clough-quest-bring-loan-keeper/article-2746568-detail/article.html

• Replies 359
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I would be over joyed if Grant came back and I wouldn't mind Fielding coming in as I have heard lots of good things about him!

It says he will be out for 3 weeks so dont really mind giving those games to Deeny

Agreed love to see grant back at Derby, even if it's just for 1 or 2 months. We know what he can do, even tho fielding plays for the under 21's he still Abit of a unknown

he does not spring to mind as one of the first people you would put on your team sheet as 1st choice though does he?

No he doesnt but if Bywater is injured and you cant get someone in on loan what will we do?

Try and get the game moved to when Bywater is back or when we get a loan in??? Dont think the F.A would go with that!

And as I said as of yet Deeny has done no wrong compared to Roy "Gamble" Carrol (our last No2) he is on alot less money and has made a hell of alot less mistakes.

We need somebody.Deeney is useless.

Absolutely. This shows even N-L Nigel recognises the lad isn't up to it but, I suppose having another ex-Burton sycophant around him more than compensates.

Lee Grant would be excellent. Watching Fielding for U21's and he looks good too.

everyone knows deeney is here as a cheap option to sit on the bench, possibly until ross atkins or james severn make the step up. if nigel doesn't bring in another keeper it would be suprised, i woud love to see wojciech szczęsny from arsenal, he got rave reviews from his loan at brentford:

brentford manager andy scott said: "his performances suggest that he would not be out of place in the championship or even the premier league. it has reached the stage where when he lets in a goal we wonder why he hasn't saved it."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wojciech_Szcz%C4%99sny

I'd always welcome Lee Grant back here, I thought he was excellent for us, alot better than Camp was for us in my opinion - still baffles me as to why he was dropped for Camp, and still never got his chance when Camp was dropped after his dad phoned up RD moaning

I'd always welcome Lee Grant back here, I thought he was excellent for us, alot better than Camp was for us in my opinion - still baffles me as to why he was dropped for Camp, and still never got his chance when Camp was dropped after his dad phoned up RD moaning

Agreed Lee Grant would be quality loan deal.

Archived