Peter Phelan

Scott mecca

• 1 year later...

I had a reply from John Turner yesterday. He was the third goalkeeper at Derby in 1971-72 alongside Colin Boulton and Graham Moseley and won a Central League Championship winners medal with the Reserves before going on to a long career in the Football League at Reading, Chesterfield, Peterborough and Torquay. John said:

'Hi David, sorry it’s been so long getting back to you. Peter was a friend of mine. We grew up in the north-east. Peter got a bit of trouble at Derby in the nightclub and Peter Taylor dismissed them from the club and sent him to. I think was Tamworth or Telford and we never heard from again, so it’s been so long When he was at school, he was a very talented centre forward. Ironically, I moved into his digs when I left and went to Reading in 1975, a young boy called Frank Sheridan moved into Maureen in Bernards 131 field Lane, Alvaston best years of my life are Derby County best mates Graham Mosley, Alan Lewis Tony, Mackin, Colin Griffin, Steve Powell, they were The Wonder Years.'

I have passed this on to Peter's grandson, Scott, who is delighted to have found out a bit more, and I have put him in touch with John Turner.

• 1 month later...

Hi all, Peter's granddaughter and Scott's cousin here. It looks like @Brailsford Ram has discontinued his account, but I wanted to say thank you so much for the book, what a lovely gesture, which was very much appreciated in our time of grief. ❤️

Interesting to read about the different spin on him being fined and suspended for a week - this fits so much more with his shy and socially anxious nature, he would have jumped at the chance to go home for the week, and his mam & dad would have paid the £10 without a grumble! He spoke very fondly of Clough. He was a home bird and just didn't enjoy being away from his family, which is such a shame as his school friends tell how they would dread Peter and his brother coming on as opposition at local friendlies as they were very speedy and skilled players!! He could have done so well in a football career, but then again, Scott and I wouldn't be here if he did!! 

Thanks again all who have contributed to this thread, much appreciated 👍