Ebosele - starting XI when fit?

TheHomunculusLives

1 minute ago, Leeds Ram said:

Any reason why or just disagree? 

He's has some very good ball control that gets missed in the pace he plays the ball forwards. I've seen a fair bit of him in the U23s and in the U18s when he was playing as a wide man. He needs to work on his positional play I'll give you that, he relies on his pace too much to rescue a situation. 

6 minutes ago, Ghost of Clough said:

He often uses his pace (why woudlnt you when you have it?) but he also dances around players at U23 level. Once he believes he can do it at first team level we'll see a lot more of it.

Pace can be used to good effect such as Tomori (who was a bit of a unique case as shown by his quick progression to AC Milan) but I'd prefer solid positioning any day of the week.  It's not just a matter of belief, it's a matter that first team players will be smarter and stronger than the average under 23 player and show him down alleyways (as happened against peterborough) quite easily. The game is also quicker ensuring that decision making and quick decision making is more necessary than in the under 23's (one of the reasons why positioning and anticipation are important skills to acquire). 

I'm not saying ebosele won't become a good player who'll have a good career but from what I've seen he needs more work before he becomes a regular for us. 

1 minute ago, Leeds Ram said:

I'm not saying ebosele won't become a good player who'll have a good career but from what I've seen he needs more work before he becomes a regular for us. 

I wasn't suggesting he's ready to become a regular, I was saying you are under-estimating his ability and concentrating on his pace. Oh and unlike some young players he knows how to use his body to best effort.

Edited by RoyMac5

3 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

He's has some very good ball control that gets missed in the pace he plays the ball forwards. I've seen a fair bit of him in the U23s and in the U18s when he was playing as a wide man. He needs to work on his positional play I'll give you that, he relies on his pace too much to rescue a situation. 

Just from the outings I've seen him in his ball control has looked like it could do with some work for me especially in tight spaces but I understand why people have a different opinion if they've seen him a lot in the academy. 

2 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

I wasn't suggesting he's ready to become a regular, I was saying you are under-estimating his ability and concentrating on his pace. Oh and unlike some young players he knows how to use his body to best effort.

I don't think if ebosele wasn't bulky or fast people would be considering him for the first team given his positioning and ball control in tight areas tbh. I simply disagree on his technical attributes and footballing brain of which both require a good bit of work for me. But it may be the games I've seen him in aren't an accurate reflection of his true ability.